CWFoster
22 years ago
I'm building a coolidor, and am installing an active humidifier. Any thoughts about where would be the optimum placement? I'm thinking towards the top, as the humid aid will be heavier, and it will keep all the air at proper RH, but might it maintain an excessive RH at the bottom? If mounted at the bottom, would the air stay too dry at the top???
grond
22 years ago
I don't have an active humidifier in any of my three cooleradors. I have floral oasis which is saturated with a 50/50 mixture of PG and distilled water. I have an analog hygrometer mounted on the interior lid of the cooler and also one in the bottom (of one of them) and both read a fairly steady 70%. The only problem I've experienced is one of moisture accumulation on the bottom of the coolerador just after recharging the oasis.

I had a box of Don Tomas that got wet due to moisture absorption through the box and through the cellophane and into the cigars. So... it you put it in the bottom, make sure you put a small towel or something underneath it to capture any excess moisture. I have had no further problems since I've done this.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Grond
CWFoster
22 years ago
Thanks Bro! I just got my spanish cedar in, and used mounting tape to fasten the liner inside the cooler. I was going to use epoxy, but the mounting tape reduced set time to zero. I'm useing my ole oshkosh humidifier until my cigar oasis comes in from Cbid and the cooler seems to be holding RH very steady.
SP
  • SP
  • Aficionado
22 years ago
CW, first, how large is your coolador?
CWFoster
22 years ago
SteveS
22 years ago
if you search back in the picture board, you'll find one of CWilhelmi's coolerador ... he has it standing on end so the lid opens the way a refrigerator door does and it's a very nice job ... he's got cedar lining, shelves and dividers and has the humidification unit mounted about 2/3 of the way up the door
CWFoster
22 years ago
I beleive that's the pic gvlagos (I think I got that right!) sent me. I used a bit smaller cooler, but basically the same setup. I did something stupid, I cut the handle off, and the raised areas that it was fastened to prior to putting the contents of my present humi in it. Well I,ve doubled my storage capacity, if I keep my original going too. But I DID double my capactiy 🙂 I think I'll primarily use the coolidor for boxed cigar storage. It also gives me a chance to perform some repairs on my old humi. God knows, I've dragged it from Norfolk, to Spain, to Isreal, Turkey, Greece, the Red Sea, Persian Gulf, Gibraltar and finally home! It DID come back packed with some ISOM's 🙂 So I guess it deserves to be kept on active duty. I picked that one up a little over a year ago on EBAY. It was a former fixture in a defunct cigar bar in Miami, and had a big gaudy sticker on the plexiglass window that said "El Cid" never heard of those, so I carefully scraped that off, and found a MOntecristo emblem online, cut and pasted it, colored the background transparent, and printed it on clear self adhesive plastic sheets. I guess I'm rambling alot more thatn you probably wanted to read, but I guess I just get carried away sometimes. Merry Christmas to all of you, and a Happy New Year!
Kazama
22 years ago
I went back thru over 1500 picture posts, looking at everything posted by cwilhelmi. I saw Bronco stadium, cigars, lots and lots of girls, but no picture of a coolerdor. I am building one, too, and would love to see someone else's successful result. Can anyone help?
CWFoster
Kazama
22 years ago
Thanks CW. Would love to know where the cwilhelmi photo is that SteveS refered to. What are the advantages or disadvantages of vertical vs. laying flat with the top opening? I know that you are supposed to open to let air in, but how often if you are mainly storing boxes? Thanks in advance for all info. Kazama
mroptimistic
22 years ago
Well vertical seems to make shelves easier, but at the same time it would make transportation harder imo. Im planning on making one but it wouldn't have a long term location so ill probably make mine laying flat so I can just grab it by the handles and move it when necessary.
bucketbutt
22 years ago
Unless you plan on using the coolerdor as your daily-smokes humidor (or opening it frequently for some other reason), I think an active humdification system is overkill. Granted, I'm a newbie, but initially I installed four homemade credos (soapdish size) in my coolerdor and I actually had to let it air out for awhile to lower the humidity. Even now, if I add a new box or bundle that was shipped "wet", I have to open the drainplug or lid to keep the humidity from going sky-high.

My advice: Use inexpensive passive hmdification and put the money you'll save into cigars for filling the coolerdor. Remember, a full 'dor maintains stable humidity better than one that has lots of airspace. Storing the cigars in Spanish cedar cigar boxes helps too, so save empty boxes and use them to hold your singles and bundles. Save the active humidification system for use in a "leaky" furniture-style humidor or a walk-in.
Users browsing this topic