excal1
  • excal1
  • Enthusiast Topic Starter
22 years ago
I was about to fire up a Cupido Criollo figurado this afternoon, and for just a second, I thought I had clipped the wrong end. In reality, does it matter which end you light (other than the fact the smoking the open end on a "parejo" would make for kind of a mess)? I have been to several cigar factories in Nicaragua and I seem to recall that the torcedores lay in the filler leaves with the wide end near the head of the cigar. Is this so that the stronger flavor comes near the end of your smoke?

My wife asked me about this today, and I didn't have a non-BS answer for her. Thanks.
tarheel4lyf
22 years ago
if you light the wrong end, it will most likely unravel on you. Oddly enough, a buddy of mine did that just the other day.....it was funny.
Da-Glyde
22 years ago
yep it will un roll like crazy, i gave a friend a ashton maddie church, so he trys to get more than i gave him he comes over to smoke it and cut the cigar into two, said that way he could "smoke more of the cigar" and i told him he just wasted half of the cigar. He sparked up the one that had no cap and drew from the foot because the cut had tore up the mid of the cigar the damn thing split and came apart like nothing i have seen.

GIG'EM,

Dan
ajeroth
22 years ago
Tobacco leaves are placed in a cigar so that they burn from the tip of the leaf inwards. I didn't know they fall apart... But it does matter which end of a cigarette you light so in some way it makes sense here.

ajeroth
BMW
  • BMW
  • Herf-A-Holic
22 years ago
It's really pretty simple,....If you lite the wrong end you have to blow as opposed to sucking. It ruins the whole experience, LOL.

Barry
gorob23
22 years ago
I had a little of the golden Gold and lite the wrong end of a LGC Series R No.5 and it smoked fine, it did not unravel. However when I finished the rum and smoke I unraveled!!!
snowwolf777
22 years ago
I would think that if you lit the wrong end, once you burned past the cap, which keeps the thing together, it would unroll. The same reason you don't get too aggressive when you cut the cap. My .02, anyway. I have nearly sparked up the wrong end once or twice, on some of those lost "beer tent" nights.
tandem401
22 years ago
There is usually extra filler near the band, the place where you are most likely to hold the cigar. This prevents it from crushing while you hold it between your fingers. In that sense it smokes differently from the wrong end. It's also the common source of a plugged cigar, by the way.

I don't see why it would unravel in one direction but not the other. There seems to be "glue" at both ends but either none or very little along the length of the cigar. I have, occasionlly, had to smoke one from the wrong end because the right end was damaged in some way.
al'Thor
22 years ago
A rep from Sancho Panza told me they make each cigar with a specific smoking experience in mind - meaning, they place the leaves in a certain way so that it develops as you smoke it - also, what tandem said...

my bottom line - I'll trust that those who make a living making cigars know how to make them and I'll smoke it the way they tell me to (except the makers of Lone Wolf...they need to stick to making movies...)
RICKAMAVEN
22 years ago
if you light the wrong end, don't puff, blow through it.
RICKAMAVEN
22 years ago
BMW

oops. missed your advice.
Users browsing this topic