mkraus47
22 years ago
I am building my first coolerdor and I wanted to know what kind of glue is the best. Is there a silicone glue that would not be toxic or give off fumes that might ruin my smokes? I thought about using nails but my cedar might split and it would take away a large area in the cooler if I did that. Any ideas which glue to use? Glue gun/ Silicone/ Other? Thanks!! MK
smelly4tay
22 years ago
Hot glue gun is what I used and it is perfect.....no smell, easy to find, easy to apply.
CWFoster
22 years ago
I lined mine with 1/4 inch stock, and used mounting tape to fasten it in
Bel007
22 years ago
Dittos on the hot glue gun. Worked great on mine.

Brian
Slimboli
22 years ago
If you must use glue at all, make sure to use one that is waterproof ...

I've heard from several of those who have built them, that they used Franklin's Titebond II, water resistant, yellow aliphatic resin glue, a rapid-setting type.

Spread it sparingly in each slot and on the miters, using a hair-colorant squeeze bottle, a glue brush or cotton swab to spread the glue. A thin even spread on both parts is best. Clean up excess glue by scraping it off with a knife blade or scraper. Do not wipe glue off with a damp cloth as the moisture of the cloth will thin the glue and allow it to soak deeply into the wood. This will show in the final finish of your project.

http://www2.woodcraft.com/pdf/77B43.pdf 
dz130
22 years ago
Why not try those small finishing brads/nails that wooden ship modelers use. They are very small and shouldn't split the wood. Do a search for wooden ship hobby stores. That avoids the whole problem.

Doug
Slimboli
22 years ago
... exept that they may eventually rust.

That's why you never hear of any professional humidor builders using them ...
SP
  • SP
  • Aficionado
22 years ago
^ As Slim said, Titebond II is what I use when I assemble my humidors. Work quickly as iIt sents in a couple of minutes and Spanish cedar will absorb it quickly..

Just my .02

Scott
SP
  • SP
  • Aficionado
22 years ago
Opps, but then again, your attaching wood to plastic. So maybe my advise is incorrect. Contact adhesives would work, make sure you apply it to both the wood and substance and let it get tacky. One note, once it touches it bonds right away and can not be removed..

Again....just my .02

Scott
dz130
22 years ago
These are brass fittings so they shouldn't rust.
Slimboli
22 years ago
Oops ... my bad also, as I was also thinking that you were building a 'humidor' ...

... which leads to another question for dz130 ...

Would brads work in attaching Spanish Cedar to plastic?
Slimboli
22 years ago
SP --- I would think that 'contact adhesives' have a lot of strong volatiles that would permeate the cigars ...
dz130
22 years ago
Brass screws. LOL
Mr_Vance
22 years ago
Wheat flour with a little water to make a thin paste. Non toxic, no odor, and has been used for hundreds of years as a surprisingly effective glue.

Just my 2 cents.

(]]]]]]]]]~~~
pabloescabar
22 years ago
I think you should stop eating your homemade glue,My two cents = four.
Users browsing this topic