TopJimmy
22 years ago
hey guys, i realize that all the tobaccos are different, but ive had cigars at 65\70 for a year and still no plume.....something wrong or is it just that particular 'gar (LaVieja)
ajeroth
22 years ago
I was under the impression that plume happened mainly on Maduro wrappers... I guess it can happen with the Naturals but I think it takes more time.

ajeroth
Slimboli
22 years ago
All plume/bloom is ...

... is the naturally occuring oils that form from the decomosition of plant material. Basically, just like a compost pile.

Just as in a compsot pile, temperature and moisture play an important role. The time it takes to form plume/bloom will vary greatly, due to these two important variables, as the temperature and moisture has to be pretty much uniform throughout the entire cigar ...

... and since these conditions are much lower than a regular compost heap (and that takes quite a long time), it could be many years before you see any results.

I don't think the particular tobacco leaves really have that much influence on the process ... but I'm sure that the ones that are more 'oily' to begin with, will get there much faster ...
TopJimmy
22 years ago
thanks for the info guys!
Steve*R
22 years ago
And, of course, you can always have this situation: Two boxes of cigars; same exact cigar; stored side by side, one develops plume while the other looks the same as the day you bought it.
redsquid
22 years ago
I seem to recall Robby embarking on an experiment to force (or at least encourage) some gars to plume. I haven't seem any updates though. I've only had one cigar (a super fuerte maduro) plume while in my possesion, but I've only recently built up enough stock to do any long term aging. One of my locals has some Excaliburs (both natural and maduro) that look like disco balls, they sparkle so much. I don't know how long he's had them.
mrkmitch
22 years ago
Once again, Slim is the man in the know. That's why this is such a good board, knowledgable BOTLs willing to share.
BMW
  • BMW
  • Herf-A-Holic
22 years ago
I plumed at a very early age and it's been downhill ever since, LOL.

Barry
Users browsing this topic