castlewa
22 years ago
I have a glass top humidor that holds about 300 cigars with three levels, the bottom, middle shelf and top shelf. I cannot for the life of me get the humidity between 70-74% on all three levels. Either my sticks are to wet on the bottom and to dry on top or to dry all the way around. Here is what I have done. I drilled holes in a cigar tube added moist floral foam and placed it on the top shelf (glass top) On the bottom I have a brick humidification device that came with the humidor and next to that I added a small Tupperware with a loose piece of floral foam moistened with distilled water, so I am at about 68% on the bottom and 63% on the top. Suggestions on evening it out? I have done the search and feel the best answer is a coolerdor, but until then?
mrtelcom
22 years ago
SteveS
22 years ago
two thoughts ...

ONE, are you sure your hygrometer is accurate??? ... find out.

TWO, are you sure you're not happy being between 63 and 68 ??? ... I keep mine in that range on purpose
dave97402
22 years ago
That would be my suggestion or question too. Have you tried switching the meters and see if they read the same locations at the same humidity? I have 2 digitals, side by side one reads 68% one reads 62%

Dave
castlewa
22 years ago
I used the same digital hygrometer at all three levels. I have checked the accuracy of the hygrometer and it is + -1%. I am fine with 63%-68% but being new I have read that is to low. I have noticed a bit of unraveling on my cigars on the top row. A Don Tomas I have split at the end, and it is in the middle of the humidor. Not sure if the unraveling of the wrapper is due to low humidity or not? I am not talking major unwrapping, but I notice (my wife would never notice). Thanks for the help.
SteveS
22 years ago
actually, it depends on the cigars ... the more delicate Domincan leaves really do prefer a humidity nearer 70 ... heavier leaves such as Nicaraguan are better kept near 65 ... you get far fewer burn and draw problems ...
patman
22 years ago
I hate to add to the quetion but I recently received a 250 count humidor and its nearly full... I can not seem to get my humidity past 55%. I am concerned that I am killng all my great smokes...

Please help.

I have the following humidification devices in use.
Drawar 1 of 3 (Top) - a film container (little black plastic thing) full of 50/50
Drawar 2 of 3 (Middle) The same as above + the round humidification device that came with it.
Drawar 3 of 3 (Bottom) Same as top.

That seems like too much but it appeas that its not enough. I have the thing that tells the humidity from my old humidor as well as the new one and they are reading just about the same a few points off. (No Biggie)

Any help would be appriciated...

fudge
22 years ago
Patman do you also have oasis in those film containers or just 50/50?

Zed
patman
22 years ago
uuuhhhh Oasis?
fudge
22 years ago
Oasis is a foam that's used for aranging flowers, you need wet oasis, there is also a dry oasis that isn't suitable. You can buy it from Walmart or any of those craft places the women folk love so much 🙂

Cut the oasis to fit your container and then add the 50/50, top up with distilled water when needed after that.

The foam gives a lot more surface area than you have right now.

Zed
patman
22 years ago
So I cut this foam stuff to be a little smaller than the film canister and pour enough solution to dampen the foam (Not Submerge it)this should assist in correcting the humidification issue?
fudge
22 years ago
Yep, I would press the container into the foam which will cut a piece out of it, then remove the foam from the container and trim it a little, it will give you a more surface area with the sides exposed.

Did you season your humidor before you put your cigars in?
If you didn't the cedar will be absorbing a lot of the humidity.

Zed
patman
22 years ago
I tried to but I have to admit I wa sa little impaitent. I havent messed up too bad have I?
fudge
22 years ago
Well I am no expert, but I think I would take the cigars out and put them in a tuppador with the humidifier that came with the humi, and then put a bowl of water in the humi to season it for a few days, in the mean time you could get some oasis and get the new humidifiers ready.

You might want to play with the size of your containers too depending on how airtight it is, though I imagine the ones you are using should be big enough.

Zed
patman
22 years ago
" the containers"

Meaning the film canisters? I think that if I have enough of them then I'll be ok...

Great idea. Will do in the morning.

Thanks for the assistance...
patman
22 years ago
BTW did you get my e-mail regarding my prefrences?
fudge
22 years ago
Yep I meant the film canisters.

And I also got your email 🙂
Feel free to mail me if you need any help.

Zed
Thom
22 years ago
I just thought I'd jump in here and let you all know that If you happen to live in a small town, like I do, and there is no Walmart (thank God) I went to a local flower shop and they were happy to sell me some of their wet foam (oasis). A rectangular cube of it, about a 6x4x4, cost me a little over four bucks.
mrtelcom
22 years ago
4 bucks? Dang, see my post yesterday about peeing on bathroom floors.

Also, I posted some good info about 50/50 about 2-3 months ago that I found on another board. If you can pull it up, it tells you not to keep refilling with it. Use it on your new foam, then switch to distilled water.
Users browsing this topic