smelly4tay
22 years ago
Hey guys. I got off my usual CAO, Padron, Gurkha bidding this week and went for a longshot. 25 La Fama Costa Rica torpedos, for a great price. Problem is, I can't find a longer write-up @ CI, and no search results here. They look pretty good, but I was wondering if anyone has tried them??

Dave
Steve*R
22 years ago
I was really surprised to see La Fama Costa Rica, as La Fama was a cigar that had been rolled in The Canary Islands.
smelly4tay
22 years ago
By the sounds of your response...I got my hands on a real gem!!!! ROTFLMAO

It will now be my most cherished box of doggies!!!!!

THE CANARY"S??!!!!???? I heard that was a make-believe place! And that they make some real winners. (still LOL). Thank you Steve for giving me one good laugh.
Slimboli
22 years ago
... 'made' is a beter term, as they no long produce tobacco in the Canary Islands ... and haven't for quite some time now.

One of my all time favorite cigars, was the Napa Reserve 'yellow and black' band from the Canary Island ...
usahog
22 years ago
Smelly.. without you opening them how bout trading them??? I got some OpusX's that may be of your Interest???

Canary Islands are off the tip of Spain and I wouldn't mind living over in that area for the rest of my life!!!!

these cigars in question.. if in fact are from the Canary's... they have got to have at least 5 yrs age on them...

drop me an email usahogathotmaildotcom

Hog
Steve*R
22 years ago
Slim wrote: " 'made' is a beter term, as they no long produce tobacco in the Canary Islands ... and haven't for quite some time now."

Actually, some brena tobacco is still being grown, though it was never used in many premium cigars. My past favorite Canary Island cigars were Monte Canarios, La Regenta, Don Xavier, and La Nubia. I still have a few of each, hiding in a cooler. None of these are in production by the original factory, though another Canary Island roller is making La Regenta.

Right now, I am smoking Goya #3s. Currently rolled in the Canary Islands (as I'm typing)they are entirely comprised of Cuban tobacco, filler, wrapper, binder. They are a classic clear Havana and nicely priced. Other cigars currently being rolled in the Canary Islands are Alvaro, Casanova, Condal, Peñamil, Vargas, Albero, El Greco, and Yvette.

For some peculiar reason, the false rumor was started that all Canary Island cigar production was dead. Perhaps, what should have been written was that U.S. Customs was having a difficult time with cigars coming out of the Canary Islands because many were clear Havanas or blends, like Condal...Havana filler-binder with a Connecticut shade wrapper. Often there was no designation on the box that Cuban tobacco was in the cigars.
Soon, the only Canary island cigars available in the U.S. were W.T. Dupont, Peñamil, and Dunhill Canary Island. They were all very mild and relatively bland. Without a Cuban component, they weren't much of a cigar. The Peñamil that's made for the European market is a Cuban/Central American blend, machine bunched.

But, Canary Island cigars are still being made for sale throughout the rest of the world. If you want them, they have to be ordered from a foreign source.



Steve*R
22 years ago
Before someone asks, the Goya #3s in a 25 ct.box are about $105 with shipping included, about $4.20 a stick. Given that a box of Fuente Chateau Sun Grown or a box of Torano 1916s can be purchased for about $65.00, they may not seem like such a great deal, but...they are a nice example of clear Havanas.

Steve
smelly4tay
22 years ago
wow! Seemed to me, at first, that I was getting a a cigar hopeful @ about a dollar a stick.....and didn't think people would respond much, but WOW, and Thank you!

I was kidding about my Canary Islands crack, and really enjoy trying cigars from the smallest of countries.

USAhog: I would never accept such a rarity like Opus for a cigar that I won on a whim. I would absolutely be more than willing to send you a handful of them. I asked for info on them and you delivered. E-mail sent, and send me back your snailer.

Dave
Users browsing this topic