andytv
  • andytv
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
This is the Dragon that watched over the Eau Gallie causeway on the Indian River in Melbourne, FL. It was on the tip of a long island that divided two rivers, and was on private property which had changed hands a number of times since it was built.

My home away from home was a shack on shore about 100 yards from this fella. As kids, we would swim out and play inside it (it was hollowed out, and had caveman style furnishings inside).

It was degrading when I left FL in 1990. A group of peole pooled together and secured funding for a complete renovation, but the owners of the property were conservative and stuck a campaign sign about 2oo feet down the pennisula in front of their house. This was offensive to the group and they aborted.

Unfortunatly, the dragon fell prey to vandals and natural erosion in 1994.

Every time I visit home, I get a little emotional when I see Dragon Point sans dragon.

365118.jpg

Click to View Image87 View(s)

John hay Cigars
21 years ago
That is very interesting. Pretty cool too. I bet that was the best thing ever when you are a kid.
stogiepa
21 years ago
Jeezzz............"Puff the Magic Dragon"..............
Cool!!!!!!
stogiepa
21 years ago
Ps....Is that "Little Jackie Paper" in the bushes^....?
jetblasted
21 years ago
Looks like a magnet for Vandals ...
andytv
  • andytv
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
John Hay Cigars;

It was great. For July 4th, they would set up a flamethrower and it would spew napalm 30 feet into the air.

I spent alot of time right where that pic was taken from; and my first job was at the lot club to the photographer's right.

Now the dragon is gone, and the little river pad that we called our own all through high school (rented by my Mother's Boyfriend)was sold so that it could be leveled and replaced by a modern oversized house. Demolished with the house was an indian burial site, a garden full of Mango, Orange, and grapefruit trees, a boathouse and a dock. My favorite place ever in the world.............sniff.

Maybe this is a sign that I am getting old.
Jdllizard
21 years ago
Damn, thats a sad story. To many people with to much money and not enough respect for history.
John L
stlbluesaddict
21 years ago
When I left in January of 2004 he looked pretty beat up. I had no clue how long it had been there, but it didn't look like it would be there much longer.
cayman2b
21 years ago
andytv..
Hey I used to vaca in Melbourne when I was a Kid..
from Detroit area so it was a treat.. memories of
catching bluefish in the surf and Inlet.. trout
in the Indian.. wow those snook were crazy..

used to stay at the Sea Grape motel on A1A just
south of the city... is it still there..

aahhh... memories.... :.(

cayman
myash07
21 years ago
My grandmother lives in melbourn
Strawbridge Ave where the twin towers are, I dont know the name but it's a retirement community.
I try to make it down there twice a year to visit.
myash
andytv
  • andytv
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
I DO think the sea-grape is still there; but it probably won't be for long. Big hotels and condos are consuming most coastal properties.

Sniff
SpikeMaduro
21 years ago
Hey Andy!~
I grew up on the north end of Merritt Island in the early 70's.

On occasion we would venture south to the Georgianna graveyard but rarely did we venture down to the Dragon or Mather's Bridge.
Brevard County is getting smaller every day. They're building on lands considered unbuildable 20 yrs. ago.

FYI...
Don't know about the Seagrape Motel. The 2003 phonebook still had a listing for the Seascape Motel and Apartments!

andytv
  • andytv
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
Spike,

I moved up to PA after I graduated high school. After a couple years, for some reason, my mother bought me sketches from a local artist of the dragon and of Mather's Bridge Restaurant.

Both are now gone.

Brevard is getting crowded, but it is still one of the nicest places, I think. I'm considering selling the farm and moving back.

Users browsing this topic