vfrtwice
21 years ago
A little something i did while a stone cutter. All these letters were hand carved from scratch. Trainerchad mentioned some of his family lives in Dayton Ohio, so i was telling him about all the stone work i did on the Dayton Art Institute.

thought i would share.

Keith
406665.jpg

Click to View Image105 View(s)

Thom
21 years ago
I'm always impressed with talented crafsman er, person, eh, people (?). --it's tough to be p.c. lol
sloth
21 years ago
Thats cool... Its always nice to go back 5, 10, 20 years later and going... yeah... i did that, ya know?
jackconrad
21 years ago
That's almost as awsome as today's oink.
RICKAMAVEN
21 years ago
vfrtwice

cool work
vfrtwice
21 years ago
Thanks guys! I didnt even know I had the talent until i started working at the place and got drafted into hand carving. I really enjoyed it. The stress level was kind of high. If you saw the long arduous process it took to get the stone on my table.. you would understand. haa.. one wrong move of the chizle and PING.. off goes the wrong piece of stone, and your starting over!! HAAHAA. Which from quary,to truck, to gang, to saw to my table may have taken months.

There are some really neat pictures on their web site. click on "Facilities" to see a few pics of how the stone was cut into slabs and other projects.

http://www.briarhillstone.com/ 


I need to make you all some cool ashtrays!!

Keith
spadesman
21 years ago
You were a Stonecutter , eh?

Who controls the British Crown?
Who keeps the metric system down?
We do, we do.
Who keeps Atlantis off the maps?
Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do, we do.
Who holds back the electric car?
Who makes Steve Guttenberg a star?
We do, we do.
Who robs cave fish of their sight?
Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!
trainerchad
21 years ago
Like Keith mentioned I used to live in Dayton(****hole) and some of my family still does. I've been to this place several times. His work is way more incredible in person than seeing this picture.
Keith, you are a very talented man.
Jdllizard
21 years ago
Nice work bro.

I love the Simpsons, and the Stone Cutters episode is one of my faves.
John L
vfrtwice
21 years ago
Sloth,

You are right!!! Its funny, some days i sit in my office, phone ringing off the hook and think back on those days. How $7.25 was a fortune to me and my family, How much my back hurt, always wet and cold, all the old timers calling me FNG, the smashed fingers, busted feet... but you know.. i will never forget my roots.. life was simple. I look back now at the beautiful, if you will "Momuments" that stand today and kind of smile.... I DID THAT! I went from there to building houses.. and would drive by some of the 500k + houses we built and think of the little kids that would run down those steps on christmass morning.. and smile as well.
Im sure Hog would verify..working with your hands is very satisfying.

Keith
usahog
21 years ago
"Im sure Hog would verify..working with your hands is very satisfying."

100% vfrtwice... Very Nice Work BTW...there are many on this board who are very good craftsman in their trades... I ever get another Harley I'm lookin up Blacky to give her a paintjob!!!! LOL

Hog
SirWolfgang
21 years ago
vfrtwice, how very cool!

BTW, the DAI is pretty cool. When I was in college (81 or 82) I drove down there for an exhibit of the Treasures of the Tower of London.

Chad, I got relatives in Yellow Springs/Xenia. I always thought Dayton was OK.

-Wolfy
Wyteyes
21 years ago
Beautiful work.... Millie and I were at the National Cathedral in DC this past September. Talk about carved stone!!!! An ancient craft that lasts forever.

John
Users browsing this topic