tailgater
21 years ago
Adroomi,
I was going to explain my post, but thought you'd figure it out. Especially since someone posted earlier in the thread (regarding the food stamp analogy).

Saddam DID kill his people.
While he lived a life of extreme luxuries, his people starved to death.
He had the power to remove the sanctions by simply following the rules. The fact that he chose to ignore those rules and allow his people to die is NOT the fault of the US.
Further, when the "Oil for food" campaign was operating, very little of the food went to the proper people. True, Saddam didn't take it himself, but his army had the power to distribute it properly.

So, if I fire you from your job, but give you enough money to feed your kids, and you decide to buy a new car instead, was it I who starved your kids?

Foreign policy? True, I'm no expert.
But you should look into a seldom used tool called common sense.
You yourself stated "This puts the leader (Saddam or whomever) in a position to either bend to our rules and demands, or watch his people and country die. "

And we all know which decision he made. Yet you view this as our fault. For reasons only you can imagine, since it is beyond comprehension for anyone with a sense of decency.

Saddam directly killed tens of thousands (perhaps hundreds of thousands) of his own people.
Saddam indirectly killed 1.5 million of his own people (as discussed above).
The US removed Saddam from power.

And in your eyes we're the bad guy.

All I can say is "wow"...

adroomi
21 years ago
.....thanks, Now I get it.
adroomi
21 years ago
Tailgater,
If this entire board thinks I'm an ****, am I really an ****? No, I'm actually a pretty good guy. I just can act like one on this board a lot and the general perception is that I am one. Why is this? Nobody thinks poorly of another unless they have done something to deserve it. I deserve it.

So, with that said, the perception of the US lately is rapidly turning into that of a bunch of ****. Are we really? No, we are a good country and we try to do the right thing. Unfortunately we are perceived ever more and more as the bad guys. Perhaps it's time we looked into our foreign policy and tried to figure out just what it is we are doing that pisses every one off. Irritates them so bad that they seek to destroy us in some cases.

That's all.
andytv
21 years ago
I guess you can't keep everyone happy.

Looks like its us and the brits against the world.

tailgater
21 years ago
With THAT I can agree.

The problem is, we cannot worry about the worlds Perception of us while we're at war. The war effort needs to be commanded is such a fashion as to win with the least amount of AMERICAN casualties.

As for our other world policies, if we're being perceived as intrusive or pushy, then we need to pick up our marbles and go home.
Let the rest of the world fend for themselves. We'll call it the Tough Love policy, and we'll funnel all the excess billions into programs for American Citizens.

That won't help the perception of the US, but if they hate us anyway, who really cares? It's time to make them realize that their contempt is misdirected.
AVB
  • AVB
  • Aficionado
21 years ago
How do you propose we "make" them do that?

"Author: tailgater Date: 05/12/2005 09:05 AM Reply
With THAT I can agree.
.......
That won't help the perception of the US, but if they hate us anyway, who really cares? It's time to make them realize that their contempt is misdirected. "


andytv
21 years ago
Don't you know that if we pick up our marbles and go home, then we are CAUSING mass death by starvation?
adroomi
21 years ago
....nothing is free, and as a business (yes, the USA is a business), we are no different. We don't do anything for anyone in any country without another motive behind it. All nations are like this.

When we give foreign aid in what some like to refer to as "free money" to other countries, we are not doing it because we are so generous and good folks. We do it because we want something in return. As a nation we have never given anything to anyone without asking something in return. We're not the only ones, so please don't think I'm slamming us....I'm just pointing out the reality.

We brag about the billions we give in foreign aid, however most don't realize that 2/3rds of it goes to Israel and Egypt, and the other third goes to countries that we are trying to strike deals with. When they don't strike a deal with us, we sanction them for whatever reason.

Recently we tried to give $50 million to Brazil. I mentioned that in another post. They turned it down due to our "clauses" that we tied in with it. No yesterday we chastised them for something else.

We are a business.

Business is good, but it's getting better for others lately.

Thom
21 years ago
Mo'sMan I am still awaiting you restraction, (see post #40)

Mo'sMan said "...Democrats are a type of terrorist." Post #26

You take that back right now.

You are calling half of Americans terrorists and that is plain wrong and you know it. That is one of THE most idiotic things that I have ever read.
TrannyMk
21 years ago
Thom

Dont hold your breath...

I'm not picking sides, but I'm going from experience...
Thom
21 years ago
Thanks TrannyMK, but I will not sit idley by while such accusations are made, nor will I forget, and neither should anyone else.


Mo'sMan?
Clintock
21 years ago
Every one should re-read post #61. tailgater said it all!!!...JOB WELL DONE!SIR...even dropped my man adroomy to his knees and realize the truth!we can all learn from this post!...


clintock
adroomi
21 years ago
Clint,
Not quite. Some good points were made, but not good enough. There's more to the story than what we see, and what we are told.
adroomi
21 years ago
Thom,
if you're looking for his response to your request for a retraction, take a look at the latest post. I'll quote him for you.......

"hmmm.......wonder why democrats are afraid of good citizens?"

This follows a picture comparing brady bill advocates to terrorists.

So, just to stir up the pot, Mo claims again that Dems are terrorists, and also anyone that believes in the Brady Bill.

(I am neither of the two by the way. I'm a commie pinko ****, or something like that anyway).
Thom
21 years ago
I think I will quote rickmaven from another post:
http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/forum/forum.cfm?action=list&forumID=9&messageDisplay=0000000039179 

"lofty1

you are talking to air. no one would conider you in any negative terms about anything.

we all assume that people we communicate with on the board are at minimal, rational . we may be fanatical in our beliefs, but in our own minds we have good reason.

christians believe that jesus is the Christ.

gun folks believe in the second ammendment

i believe bush is bad.

when you start to carry on a conversation with the guy in the street wearing a robe, carrying a staff and talking to himself out loud, don't expect to be responded to.

just keep on walking before he sprays your glasses with water, wipes them off with a dirty rag and asks for a tip."
Users browsing this topic