jetblasted
21 years ago
I don't know the story behind this as a buddy just sent the picture to me, but my guess is that the Airbus was under tow, and got pushed into the DC-9.
413434.JPG

Click to View Image62 View(s)

adroomi
21 years ago
Jet,
So far, it seems it was the DC-9 that hit the Airbus. From what I got in the email today, the A319 was backing up and the DC-9 was taxiing in. He had called ahead and said he was in the middle of a hydraulics failure.

NTSB so far hasn't released anything, but it looks like he lost his brakes/steering on the taxi.

9 people were hurt....none passengers.

The pilot and first off. on the DC-9 are in "serious" but stable condition (notice the top of the cockpit is missing, it got sliced off by the 319's wing), and four cabin crew got knocked around. Two ground staff were beat up too, it seems they were trying to toss chocks under the wheels, so there definately was a problem.

This was up in Northworst's hub in Minn.

I'll let you know what I find out if anything. Please do the same.

Ahhh.......nothing like a good ole AOG to keep my numbers up. I can always count on NW to break something.
jetblasted
21 years ago
I thought it was a mtc error ... hate to hear people got hurt. Amazing Chain of Events ... Keep me Posted.
trainerchad
21 years ago
Only here in MN could this happen. I always say we have the worst drivers............
ducati996
21 years ago
Hydraulic failure with redundant systems? Must be on a different circuit then the control surfaces?
adroomi
21 years ago
I'm guessing at this one, so bear with me......just going off of experience is all:

Pilot reported Low HYD PRS prior to landing. Right side Hyd Sys was empty of fluid. Still no cause for that but obviously it leaked out during the flight.

So, the left side should have compensated.

If I remember correctly, it was Continental that did a wheels up landing in Houston about ten years ago. One of the outcomes of this was that all DC-9 and MD-80 acft with the HYD "HI, Low, Off" switch, would ensure that the manuals were reflective of this since flaps and landing gear would not work effectively if not set to high.

This made me think for a minute........then:

If the right side was kaput, and the left side engine had been shut down for taxi (DC-9's have an engine driven Hyd Pump), and the switch was off, then they would've had no brakes for the taxi.

Statements by witnesses say that the captain had used his thrust reversers just prior to impact at 15 mph. This tells me no brakes.

Anyway....I'm assuming for now that it was as I mention.....we'll just have to see.

Any word at your end Jet?
jetblasted
21 years ago
No, no word yet . . . I have been off the last two days.
You would have thought that if someone had enough time to try to chock the mains on the DC-9, that word would have gotten to someone working the Airbus. Amazing chain of events. Adroomi, ... what exactly do you do in aviation and where are you located? Just curious.
adroomi
21 years ago
I don't work....I just play on this board when I'm not chasing pretty girls.......

What's your email Jet?
jetblasted
goodwrench
21 years ago
This is a accident that makes me ask what the heck where THEY THINKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have a plane with hydrolic problems but lets pull up to gate and unload. Why test steering or brakes first just whip up to gate and stop on a dime.
Funny anyone first thought was ground techs being stupid. I WOULD REALLY QUESTION PILOT HERE.
GLEN
jetblasted
21 years ago
Ah, yes, Goodwrench, but, Do We Have All the Details? Makes Me Wonder if Good Ole' North Worst Has a Super Tug? We Use One in Atlanta All the Time. Especially in Situations Like These . . .
Jay8403
21 years ago
No, no, you guys got it all wrong. Big brother was just trying to take little brother under his wing to help him stop.

Jay

Hope the injuried will be ok though.
Big brother, always picking on little brother.
goodwrench
21 years ago
Jetblast my main question here is if you are having any problems with a plane why would you pull up to a gate till you knew that you could stop and or steer the plane. I live in mpls. and story was DC9 was having hydraulic problems and was pulling up to gate a nd Airbus was backing up to pull away from gate. For sure a lack of communication but I feel that the DC9 was going to hit some thing in that tight of area.
Both planes where full of passengers, very lucky there was not a fire.GLEN
jetblasted
21 years ago
Poor Communication at it's Best . . .
adroomi
21 years ago
...the cabin crew that got hurt probably broke a hip. Bunch of old hags! I boinked a N-worst flight attendant at the Ramada in Narida last year. She was drunk as a skunk. It was her 50th birthday. She was on their daily 747 run. She told me she was the "youngest" cabin attendant on the flight that day......man do I love Singapore Airlines. When the cabin crew can no longer fit into that skin tight "slit up to the hips" dress they wear, they are taken out of the cabin and they crew a desk for the rest of their career.

Okay, I'm done ranting........it's too bad they got hurt though.
jetblasted
flyerfixer
21 years ago
Oh s@#T! Ramper rash strikes again! Not good.
---flyerfixer---
jetblasted
21 years ago
I see the Advisarial Divide between Ramp Rats and Mechanics is Still Alive and Well . . .
Users browsing this topic