RICKAMAVEN
21 years ago
the rain soaked earth, probably given a little shove from some little earthquake, finally collapsed.

fortunately no one killed.
422058.jpg

Click to View Image80 View(s)

herfsnipe
21 years ago
Not to b a wise guy, but that picture should have the caption"

The only place in California where property values are falling...


Literally.
jcwbnimble
21 years ago
I hate to sound callous, but these people are idiots.

I'm born and raised here in So Cal, and have been seeing this stuff since I can remember. These fools build houses in places where it floods every rainy season, and the houses get washed away. They build on hillsides where earthquakes and rains cause mudslides. They build in narrow canyons where wild fires sweep through and destroy everything in a matter of minutes.

You know the worst part? These same fools keep rebuilding in the same darn spot. Half the time they get subsidized loans from the goverment, which means we are paying for their stupidity. The other half of the time the insurance companies kick in, and we pay for it when our premiums go up.

I feel for these people, as I am a homeowner and would never want to lose my house, but this has got to stop. Watch, in a few years there will be houses on that same hillside. Wait and see what happens to them after an earthquake or torrential downpour. Cali hills come falling down, falling down, falling down.

jcwbnimble.
RICKAMAVEN
21 years ago
jcwbnimble

interesting that the houses in the canyons in the san fernando valley that are on stilts 30 or 40 feet long, don't fall. i have hear one of them has a suspended pool sticking out of the mountain (big hill).

they must be built properly and have posts in cement 100 or so feet down into rock or completely stable ground.

these million dollar tract homes are built in some cases on hills that normally would let the rain wash down and find it's own way to sea level.

the builders make little catch basins called view lots, build a house on it, and the rest as you see is history.

people that are flooded in the flood areas in where ever the flood areas are, rebuild over and over again.

i've owned a few homes in ca, always on flat ground.

then comes the whittier earthquake 4 blocks from my house and kocks down my chimney.

other then the muggers, brooklyn, new york was safer.
jcwbnimble
21 years ago
I don't doubt that Brooklyn is safer. Anytime someone asks about So Cal, I tell them I love it, except. I have more "excepts" than loves right now.

I'd leave, but both my Wife and my families are here. Maybe after the boys are moved out, we'll consider Oregon, Washington, Colorado. Who knows. I have about 20 years to consider which way to go 🙂

This type of slide happens all over So Cal. A business associate of my father lived in Anaheim hills. His house decided to slide one day and there wasn't much he could do. Fortunately he was smart and just sold the place and moved to flat ground. The state Geologists found out that it was the contractors fault, but the guy was outta business by the time the house slid.

I live at the base of the San Gabriel foothills, and we get brush fires every once in a while. I'm far enough away that I don't have to worry, but the houses up on the hill do get charred. The amazing thing is they keep building them farther and farther up.

I don't mind that people want to live in these places, it's just the fact that we all subsidize their stupidity.

jcwbnimble.
MACS
21 years ago
I agree jcwbnimble. I live in SoCal, but I didn't buy a house on a ridge that would slide away if it rained for a few weeks.

I also agree that I have WAY more dislikes than I do likes about Taxifornia, but as you said, the wife and kid love it here because that's all they know.
usahog
21 years ago
the Mrs. and I have agreed.. we are going to take a map out of the USA and blind fold me.. I'm going to toss a dart and whereever it lands is where we'll be heading after the Kid graduates highschool in 2 yrs...

So we'll have to years to get our plans in order LOL

Hog

BTW I am folding California and New York area off this map ;0)
rayder1
21 years ago
One of the major problems in that area especially is the concentration of houses. They have over-developed that area to the point where the natural run-off patterns have been removed and replaced with streets and houses.

Same problem happens all over the coast and SF Bay Area. My father used to have a house in the east San Jose hills built directly on an alluvial slump area. The house is still there but a few of the neighbors get relocated every couple years.

Anyone who visits the California coast may look out to see rocks jutting out of the water a couple hundred feet or less off the coast. That was the coast a couple hundred years ago.

No one really owns a house on the coast...they just rent it from mother nature.
Charlie
21 years ago
I am stuck here as well, wife loves the place! Living in Orange County is not bad, but I had rather live in South Carolina or somewhere in the south and play golf every day!

Charlie
Charlie
21 years ago
One of my oldest friends in California lives in Bluebird Canyon! His house is lower and closer to the beach, so it was not affected! That is a pretty area, but I would not want to live there...ocean view or not!

Charlie
rcpilotva
21 years ago
lived in laguna (emerald bay) as a pre-teen in the 60's - as stated above, saw this stuff all the time.
my aunt had one of these cantilevered jobs 200' above the pacific along 101 down at 3 arch bay.
when i saw the photo on the news, i thought it was hers until i saw the location.
glad to not live in so cal anymore. still have family there in san jaun capistrano and laguna, but most have fled inland to get away from there....
ACRedbeard
21 years ago
Hi all, will i've lived just north of San Diego and it the city for the last 53 years. I have experianced many small earth quacks really no big deal here. No problems with fires or floods either. Just have some common since where you buy or build. Obviously many people don't, and that's sad considering the cost out here. Aside from the cost the traffic the outrageous gas prices and utility cost I love it lol. Guess some of you think i'm crazy but this is my home land and I do love it. Think i'll move to Idaho with in the next 10 years though. I need a slower life style now that i'm older. Still great fishing is just a short hope 15 miles west. Heck everyplace has problems, so we just adapt and carry on.

Happy smoking all

RB
gerber
21 years ago
Yep, Laguna has a long history of slides, and you can see why when you look at the loose, eroded texture of the hills where these homes are constructed. My family has owned a house on the beach directly below Bluebird Canyon since the 50s (a million dollar view, let me tell you!), but the sandstone there is much more solid, so no trouble with slides. I know that California has its troubles, but for me, it's always been and always will be home. I like having ocean, mountains, and desert only an hour or so away.
Users browsing this topic