victor809
6 years ago
frankj1
6 years ago
eliminate current New York stats (fewer hospitalizations/positive tests/deaths) and the status for the other 56 states isn't quite as great either.

everyone will grasp onto anything to prove what they believe...everyone.
I really hope we can get this wagon rolling safely immediately, just not convinced it wouldn't backfire.
delta1
6 years ago
if the experience in other nations provide lessons, and given the American history of behavior with the virus as well as current infection and mortality rates, the rush to reopen and end the shutdown in most places will result in another shutdown...

the virus treats all people, including Americans, the same...the people who avoid contact with the virus the best are the ones who don't get infected and possibly seriously ill
tonygraz
6 years ago
CT is scheduled tentatively to begin reopening in a week if the Federal Guidelines continue to be met. Restaurants have lots of restrictions and is only for outdoor dining to begin with. Lots of other restrictions will be in place and some businesses will not be allowed reopening on the 20th. I hope it works out well.

I don't know the breakdown by age or any other classification but the death toll is now around 9% of the population that tested positive (not adjusted for those not tested). It ow looks like anyone can get tested if they make an advance appointment for it. No info on wait time and no doctor referral needed.
teedubbya
6 years ago
I do like hearing testing access is improving in some areas.
delta1
6 years ago
yes...we've got a long way to go though, and will need to bolster our ability to contact trace people who have associated with those who test positive...otherwise testing doesn't help that much, except to identify and take some infected people off the playing field...

problem is: "people who need the test will get tested" is our standard...different standard than widespread testing where "anyone who wants a test can get tested"
teedubbya
6 years ago
I also like seeing some localities following the CDC and the Presidents model for opening up even though the President vilifies them for doing so and there is a certain its not that bad just open it up denier crowd driving him.
HockeyDad
6 years ago

yes...we've got a long way to go though, and will need to bolster our ability to contact trace people who have associated with those who test positive...otherwise testing doesn't help that much, except to identify and take some infected people off the playing field...

delta1 wrote:



Now we’re talking! Take the infected people off the playing field and we end this thing. Bayonets and headshots.
Speyside
6 years ago
Land mines and machine gun turrets in target rich environments, go big or go home.
Speyside
6 years ago
I doubt that age is the actual significant factor. Poor health is. Age comes into play because the older people are the more people are in poor health.
delta1
6 years ago

Now we’re talking! Take the infected people off the playing field and we end this thing. Bayonets and headshots.

HockeyDad wrote:




it does seem like the battle against the corona virus has become a spectator death sport...with two distinctly different strategies to respond, and both saying the other side wants to kill people
tailgater
6 years ago

Actually the more I think about that I take it back. Tail is right.

He should take his calculations in to the local health department, the Governor and or the CDC or NIH. He should explain why his calculations are more accurate and theirs are wrong. They are calculating things wrong and he should help them interpret the real meaning of the data and how to proceed. Make sure to share the theory of those under 60. That will be important to them.

My only request is you please record it.

teedubbya wrote:



I didn't calculate anything.
Don't be like vic.

If you didn't comprehend what I inferred, I'll try to be more clear.

This virus is impacting our older population.
Young people catch the virus and get sick. But they survive.
Almost half the deaths are now being attributed to nursing homes.

Simple math should tell us that our efforts should be to protect those at risk. The best way to do that isn't to lock down those who are not at risk. That's short sighted at best.

The longer our officials waste their time on how many people can fit into a hair salon or bowling alley, the less time they have to work out an effective plan to protect our elderly.

The more money we spend figuring out ways to keep kids out of school and day camps and sports fields, the less money we have to treat or cure those over 60.

Despite what the House Democrats believe, we don't have unlimited funds. Everything we do and pay for is at a cost.
We can let the young and healthy keep our economy thriving while silently building up their own immunity for when this thing morphs again. Meanwhile we can protect and treat and test and cure the old folks.
And I'm a lot closer to being the one that needs a cure, but I refuse to mortgage my children's future to achieve it. It's surprising how many are willing to do that.

The only reason so many Americans are OK with the lock down is because they're getting paid to sit at home. You take that away and they'll scratch your eyes out in the supermarket if you look at the last package of hamburg before they do.

But you can hide behind the "they know better than you" attitude. "I want you to record your plea because I think you're wrong". Bravo.
I haven't manipulated the numbers.
I haven't succumbed to the fear mongering. the daily death toll without context.

It's funny.
All I've done is add context to the numbers.
Demographics to show who it's impacting. By age.
And I get accused of being misleading, stupid and now of "calculating" things to make a point.

Speaks volumes for how blinded you have become.



teedubbya
6 years ago
I was agreeing with you and I think you should present this to the folks I suggested. That’s all. You have it figured out better than they do. They need your help.

Don’t focus on the calculations then. Just help them understand the data and put it in context.

But please record it.
teedubbya
6 years ago
I’m not asking for you to record it for amusement or anything like that. I just think it would help train all the other folks working on this who have become blinded. There is only one of you but through technology we can leverage it as much as possible.
victor809
6 years ago
Really selfish of tail to keep restrict his insight to just himself and a discount cigar forum.

Almost like he doesn't care about america.
HockeyDad
6 years ago
Tailgater’s math sucks! Can I get in on this statistical circle jerk?

I mean I guess we could look at a real example:

Death by age group

0-50 = zero
51-60 = 3
61-70 = 6
71-80 = 4
81-90 = 9
90+ = 10

I wonder if with enough study maybe we could detect a pattern in these numbers?
teedubbya
6 years ago
That’s enough for me to say we have to shut everything down.
victor809
6 years ago
You and Tail should go protest at a capitol building then, rather than inform us... the powerless discount cigar forum readers.

You've got actual data that I'm sure the experts have neglected. Maybe if you made a nice multimedia chart and held it over your head during one of those protests?

I know it gets a little crowded at those protests, but I'm sure you can push your way through the crowd so you can get to the front. I have faith in your dedication to helping this country out.
HockeyDad
6 years ago
I take it you couldn’t find a pattern in those numbers.
victor809
6 years ago

I take it you couldn’t find a pattern in those numbers.

HockeyDad wrote:



Why would you say that?

There's a clear pattern. And it's definitely something you should tell your governor about.

Put it on a big sign.... make sure you write using huge letters....

I'm sure if you got in there, right in the middle of that crowd of protesters, and held your sign up reallllllllyyyy high.... that the governor will see the numbers too. He'll obviously recognize the pattern that only you currently know about, and he'll rush outside. He'll probably have the police push the crowd away... don't worry, he's just trying to get to you.... stand your ground and yell a lot so they can find you.

Once they get the rest of that rabble out of the way, he'll come up.... offer to shake your hand... and say "my dear hockeydad... thank you for saving us by bringing these numbers".... and he'll immediately call a meeting of Fauci and Trump and let you explain to them what they've clearly been missing all these weeks.

This will all probably work better if you make sure tail is with you to help hold the sign...
Users browsing this topic