dr_evil
  • dr_evil
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
21 years ago
I am looking to try one or two Don Gabriels (preferably full bodied) before I risk placing an order for a box. I will trade a PAN 64 one for one or two CAO cammie belicoso, or two Padron 2000 or two Torano Signatures.
dr_evil
  • dr_evil
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
Steve*R
21 years ago
RE: Don Gabriel

A colleague purchased a box of the full-bodied coronas of this brand. I had the privilege of smoking several. They are a nicely rolled cigar from a factory in the Spanish Canary Islands. I would not hesitate to offer one to a friend.

He purchased an additional box and was "mistakenly" shipped the lighter wrapper, the one described as being for the Portugese and German markets. It was nicely rolled, but the Connecticut shade wrapper was quite bland and the cigar was virtually indistinguishable from a myriad of light Dominican cigars. The vendor offered to exchange at the company's expense, but it was easier to sell the box to an individual who wanted the lighter blend.

I think it's imperative that one email the vendor to be quite certain that they are shipped the correct cigar. At another forum, several people said they ordered the full blend and received the light. The vendor, reportedly, offered the following excuse, "We ship over 200 orders per day. We are going to make some mistakes."
deadeyedick
21 years ago
email sent

DED
dr_evil
  • dr_evil
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
21 years ago
Thanks for the advice Steve.
Thanks DED
Anyone getting a box of the full bodied want to split one for cost?
jobailey536
21 years ago
Why cause you own all of them? LOL 🙂 OJ
dr_evil
  • dr_evil
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
21 years ago
Back off Bailey. Just because I hoard PAN 64s is no reason to sound off from the peanut gallery.
jobailey536
21 years ago
YA whatever just cause you own the lott of them doesn't mean we don't enjoy them either! STAT PUTT BTAR OJ
dr_evil
  • dr_evil
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
21 years ago
Deadeye,

Got your fiver box in the mail today. I smoked the first of the light wrapper Don Gabriel robustos tonight. It appeared to have a nice construction with a lightly veined immaculate Conn Shade wrapper. Pre light aroma was minimal and draw was good. It burned even and easily stayed lit with a medium gray and black speckled ash that would hold up for about a inch. The first half was so mild it was almost tasteless, remindind me of a CAO gold label. The second half got better with an increasingly complex but smooth woody flavor. I kept waiting to taste the usual cuban "tang", but it never happened. I wanted to taste a subtle cedar and tea flavor like those experts on CA always decribe. I wonder if there is any ISOM filler in these light ones.

Doc
dr_evil
  • dr_evil
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
21 years ago
I must admit it did have a nice full but smooth finish and turned into a nubber...
deadeyedick
21 years ago
I do get the "twang" in these both in pre-light and during smoking. They have a slight flavor profile similar to an HdM Epi but are just too light for my taste.
These were purchased before the claimed 100% Habanos was made for the export market.
I would like to try a few of those to see if they have more punch.

DED
MACS
21 years ago
I've got the full bodied version... I like them.

DED gifted me one, when he was in San Diego, of the Medium version with the Conn shade wrapper and it prompted me to buy the full bodied version. It was quite good, but the full is a bit better IMO.
dr_evil
  • dr_evil
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
21 years ago
Hey MACS(SW),

DED is a very generous BOTL. He mentioned that he would like to try one of those full bodied DGs...hint!
MACS
21 years ago
Way ahead of you.
bassdude
21 years ago
I was sent a full bodied from a trade on cw and it was a good smoke. At some point I will follow up and find out where he purchased them.
Users browsing this topic