turnberry
22 years ago
I can't find any other threads on this newer Torano so thought I'd add one since I received my box of these yesterday and decided to give one a try after work. So it was OTT with no humi time.

Wrapper: Cammie
Filler: Nicuraguan/Honduran
Binder: Cuban seed Nic

The appearance and construction was impeccable. The cammie wrapper has a dark oily sheen to it with a fine toothiness. The dark wrapper together with the dark green and gold double bands give this cigar a very rich look. It was well packed so had a nice heft and feel in the hand. It clipped very clean with my SAK with no cracking which is not always the case with cameroon wrapper.

The light was clean with an immediate indication of a very spicy flavor which continued for the rest of the length. It burned near razor sharp the full length with no touchup. The draw was easy but not loose with plenty of very aromatic smoke. My personal preference is about medium bodied and this 1916 seemed a notch on the full side of that but was just fine for me.

I was working on the tag ends of hardwood floor installation in my kitchen while smoking this so I left it alone for a 3-4 minutes on a couple of occasions and it fired up perfectly when I came back to it. Smoked it to the lower band before putting it to rest and it never turned harsh. So my conclusion is that these are not likely to need much if any humi time to be a very enjoyable smoke. The only problem is that they look so good it seems a shame to put the torch to one. Almost:-)
xrundog
22 years ago
Ya got me convinced Fred!
cwilhelmi
22 years ago
I'm going to fire one of mine up this weekend, I can't wait!!
bigjeff99
22 years ago
Still waiting for the Tributes.
turnberry
22 years ago
Xrundog...
Is that Brian? Great to see your name my friend.
ikonoklast7
22 years ago
Well, let's see...

It's a Torano...
and it's got a Cameroon wrapper...

I'm sold! If I see this at my local shop this weekend, then I will definitely pick one (or two...or three) up to try out. Since, like I said, it's a Torano AND a Cameroon, chances are I'll love it!
turnberry
22 years ago
These may be hard to find for awhile. I think Torano only started releasing them in the last month. Great addition to the Torano lineup.
xrundog
22 years ago
Fred, it's Tim. The cheesecake Champ!
turnberry
22 years ago
Tim:
Sorry for the mistake. Somebody I have gotten out of touch with had a similar handle and I got confused. The perils of multitasking in the middle of the day!

SteveS is still smarting over the loss I believe:-)
0patience
22 years ago
turnberry,
Is this a new cigar that is out now?
A new cameroon has my interest.
From the sounds of it a great one to try.
Thanks for the info. 🙂
turnberry
22 years ago
It is a new Torano which I believe has only started being released in the last month. So not likely to be available widely for awhile. Great smoke if you are a cammie fan.
al'Thor
22 years ago
The word that I'm getting everywhere is that the shops won't have 'em til November. Hmm... may mosey on down to the TRADES board, if anyone wants to follow me....

; )
turnberry
22 years ago
al'thor........email me I am sure we can work something out if you are interested.

feoff at dadco dot com
chuckler
22 years ago
turnberry,
Excellent post! A good read.

I love a nice Cameroon smoke, and it sounds like this is one to add to my "must try" list.

Thanks,

PT 😉

gr8stag
22 years ago
Cigars started shipping about one week ago and will be showing up first at the shops that ordered at the RTDA in Tenn. Theyt should be available verrrrrrry soon at your favorite cigar shop or auction site.
al'Thor
22 years ago
Well, I thought I'd toss my $.02 in...

Turnberry was generous enough to part with 3 of these babies (and a PSD3EL!!! this guy knows how to TRADE!!!)

I couldn't wait - it was in my humi about 2 days before I fired it up - and just like he said - I'm sure these will get better with age, but this young pup was very enjoyable! Had a very unique flavor profile - milder then the '59s (duh) and a little sweeter, but just as complex. burned great and construction was excellent - grab these asap (when they come out) - thanks for the head start, Fred!! I owe you!!!

-E
SteveS
22 years ago
I smoked a 1916 robusto over the weekend ... man, what a great cigar ... I know that humidor time does to cigars, but man ... COULD these actually get THAT much better?? ... we'll see ...
Lowman
22 years ago
turnberry,

Great review!!! I just smoked a 1916 robusto last night and had the same experience... although I had to correct the burn a few times... BUT I did just get the box yesterday... I'm sure some humi time will correct the issue.
I thought the loose draw would cause a quick smoke... but the robusto still took me about 50min to finish...

Low
SteveS
22 years ago
Low ... mine was not a particularly loose draw and took more than an hour to finish with only a very minor burn correction needed ... but, it had been in my humi for about 3 weeks which may account for the differences ...
turnberry
22 years ago
Glad to see you guys agree.
Users browsing this topic