al'Thor
  • al'Thor
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
22 years ago
Ok, guys, i need an answer before tomorrow night. I'm going to a restaurant w/ my boss where there is a cigar bar and we will have cigars and drinks after dinner. What do I order? I've tried Christian Brothers Brandy - it was ok. I've had some different scotches and cognacs that were 'ok', too. Just not real familiar with drinks, so I don't know what I like. I like wine - usually fruity stuff like merlot and shiraz, so I thought I might like brandy, too, but the Christian Brothers didn't wow me. I did like Tuaca, but I don't know if it would go well with cigars...so what do I order so I don't embarrass myself w/ the boss and also enjoy myself???
DrMaddVibe
22 years ago
sketcha
22 years ago
What kind of work do you do? Is this place hoity-toity?
Double D
22 years ago
My advise, FWIW, drink what you like...and screw anyone that shold frown on your selection
HarleyDave
22 years ago
Port. I like it especially with a full bodied maduro.
rjdc
22 years ago
Bacardi 151 rum! I drink it all the time with my sticks. Kinda strong though, if you're not used to potent stuff. Try Kahlua, it's nice too.
rasdas
22 years ago
Ethan...

Kahlua...Knob Creek...Makers Mark...even a Wild Turkey...

Or impress him and order a Shiner !!!...oh yeah...

But drink what you like...dont think you want to order something and leave it or drink it and not enjoy it...

RasDas

Joe
tonester666
22 years ago
Dark beer. A black and tan would do.
ajeroth
22 years ago
I agree with the Doc just order a Rum and Coke... Not to fruity and not to hard. Goes great with La Perla's

ajeroth
bud451
22 years ago
al'Thor
  • al'Thor
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
22 years ago
sorry, should have specified - I'm in commercial real esatate, and yes, this place is hoity toity. My problem is I don't know what I like! I like the idea of port, Dave - given my affinity for wine - so what kind should I try? oh, but, Joe, Makers Mark is a good selection too - I forgot - I tried that once and really liked it...
hensed
22 years ago
What harley or tone said. A good port or a heavy stout or porter.
gvlagos
22 years ago
i agree with a couple other...there is nothing like a good Port and a fine cigar 🙂
al'Thor
  • al'Thor
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
22 years ago
so, what is a good port? I need names!!
hensed
22 years ago
A nice restraunt will always have some combination of the following names; Dows, Fonseca, Sandeman, Taylors or Warres. Any of these make good solid port. If available get something that is LVB (late bottle vintage) They will be just short of a true vintage yet ready to drink now. An aged Tawny is also a good choice. Personally Fonseca is always a good bet. Here is more to chew on

Ports will be generally broken down into the following order from lowest quality to highest.
1. Ruby; Made from simple, fruity, light wines
2. Vintage character; Think of premium ruby.
3. Tawny; Same as 1 or 2 except maturation has been technologically speeded up
(now the good stuff)
4. Aged Tawny; Young wines of high quality are subject to further wood aging. Ages ranging from 10, 20, 30 and up to 40 The Portuguese consider the 20 year Tawny the ultimate expression of the port making art
5. Colheita: Think of these ports as vintaged Tawnys.
6. Late Bottled Vintage (LBV): High quality ports from a single year that are not quite up to 'Vintage' standards and are aged 4-6 years in cask.
7. Single Quinta Vintage Port: Years that are good but not declared a Vintage these will come from a single estates (Quinta) They are treated exactly like Vintage Ports and are only a shade below in quality
8. Vintage: This speaks for its self The restraunt will have to be stellar to carry true vintage ports. On average three vintages per decade are declared.
sketcha
22 years ago
I agree with many of the folks here, drink what you like. No one should chastise you for drinking red wine with cigars. I would consider a Cabernet. A good one may hold up a little better with your smokes. Generally you get what you pay for. The more expensive ones are made better, are more complex and last longer on the palate. Pick one in the middle of the price range.

Also, I'm a big Maker's fan myself. You could also ask the bartender if they have any Single Barrel Bourbons.

As for Scotch, I need the good stuff. Balvenie Port Wood 21 yr. (aged partially in barrels that once contained fine Port) and Double wood 12 yr. come to mind. We sell the Double Wood for $7.75 and I think the Port Wood is around $12-$13.

Go for the Port Wood. You only live once.

For any of these spirits I would ask them served "neat, in an Old Fashion glass."


jd1
  • jd1
  • Herf-A-Holic
22 years ago
I'm with hensed; go for the 20-yr tawny port unless price is an issue. My fav port is Dow, but there are other good names out there.
al'Thor
  • al'Thor
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
22 years ago
Excellent! Just what I was looking for! Y'all rock!
sketcha
22 years ago
From the Balvenie website...

"How do you pronounce Balvenie?

There is room for debate on how to pronounce Balvenie. The Grant family favour BalVENNY even though their distinguished ancestor William Grant is reputed to have called it BalVEENY. Local people remain open-minded:

'I don't know about the name, but its a hellish good dram!'"



I would go with the first.
JonR
22 years ago
Yo al: I suggest Jack Daniels Single Barrel.. straight.. potent yet smooth. I like it ! JonR.. Ps; It's also expenseve.
Users browsing this topic