Double D
22 years ago
I'm hooked, and I like it!!

Great deals here at CBID, great people, and great sticks from a quality company are all reasons for my addiction!!

Additionally, and this is a serious question, is the nicotine a legitimate reason for my addiction, even though I don't inhale?

Your opinions are appreciated regarding the "nicotine factor".

DD
alsant
22 years ago
for me its taste and the addiction of collecting gars that after along time of sleeping will be worth the wait.
puskarich
22 years ago
I never understood why my girlfriend continued to buy shoes when she already had so many at home.

Then I became addicted to purchasing cigars. Put me in a cigar store and I will usually walk out with at least one. I dont think it has to do with nicotine. I could go weeks without a cigar if needed. I think, instead, it is some sort of psychological addiction.
gvlagos
22 years ago
I feel the same way!!! I dont know if i'm addicted to the collecting aspect, or trying out the new cigar that everyone is raving about, or if i am literally addicted because of the nicotine. I am going to assume it is just that i love the taste, and enjoy learning about cigars/collecting that i am addicted to....
-George
RICKAMAVEN
22 years ago
NICOTINE!!!!!!!!!
arwings
22 years ago
Not really the nicotine, although with a cigar the nicotine is absorbed through the mucous membranes of the mouth (as opposed to being absorbed through the lungs as in the case of cigarettes; not to split hairs too much, but nicotine hits the brain, after inhaling cigarette smoke with the lungs, in about 7 seconds, as opposed to cigars, which takes about 8-10 minutes to hit the brain after being absorbed through the mucous membranes of the mouth/throat, depending on metabolic rate, activity, etc.) Thus the argument about cigarette versus cigar addiction: Whichever hits the brain quickest is going to be the more addictive.

Now where was I? Oh yes, I don't believe it has anything to do with addiction as far as cigar smokers are concerned. I think it has more to do with the elusive quest for that "perfect cigar" which is always as near as your next purchase, number one. And, number two, there is always the search to find a great satisfying cigar for a low price. Both of these traits tend to drive the obsession/quest/neurosis of our continuing search. Unfortunately you never achieve the goal. Even if you think you have found the ultimate cigar, there is always the new blends/manufacturers/hybrid tobaccoes that "just might be" superior to what you have already found. Therefore you have to try it to make sure.

And so, "the beat goes on." It is my sincere belief that the "perfect" cigar will never be found, in terms of being totally satisfying in all respects. Likewise I am very skeptical that I will eventually find an inexpensive cigar ($2-or less) that will be, "just as good as a $20-30 cigar." Unfortunately neither one of the quests will I discontinue. And that is not logical. So the emotional aspects enter into it and really are the driving force behind it, IMHO.

Whew! Didn't realize I was rambling so much!! At any rate, just my thoughts..........
RICKAMAVEN
22 years ago
arwings

for the most part, the difference between a $2.00 cigar and a $20.00 cigar is about $18.00.

try DR cohiba esplendido, bohemian revolution in whatever wrapper suits you. this is a great cigar:
http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=151383 

if you are hot for isom's how about a monte #2, one of the world's favorite for about $10.00 ea
RICKAMAVEN
22 years ago
i forgot

Cohiba Esplendidos 25'S 1994 USD1045

or

Dom Perignon 25'S USD10400

or for a real treat

Davidoff Aniversario 20's Display box USD14200




redsquid
22 years ago
I was just sharing some Torano silvers with a friend of mine who likes an occasional fine cigar. Twice he let the cigar rest in the ashtray while he had a cigarette. Cigarettes are for nicotine, cigars are for other things. I don't know anyone who collects full packs of cigarettes in their back room. I'm always thinking about the cigars I want to acquire, but I might go days without feeling like smoking one.
Double D
22 years ago
All great points!!

However, why then do I get so irritable and cranky when I don't have my evening cigar (gg)?

Seriously though, I find that the most enjoyable aspect of cigar smoking is the aroma from the burring cigar, which I would consider "second-hand" smoke.

Surely, this must contain ample amounts of nicotine, the addictive element of tobacco, no?

I'll stop calling myself Shirley, and stand by for further opinions on the "nicotine factor".

DD
penzt8
22 years ago
I usually associate my evening cigar smoking with "personal" time. It's my time to ignore everything else and just focus on myself. It's all about the ritual of smoking and the relaxing effect that it has. It's a form of meditation.

I would probably get the same relaxation effect if I just sat on the porch without a cigar but I'm not ready to test that theory yet.
Slimboli
22 years ago
Keep in mind, that one cigar as been equated close to a pack of cigarettes ... as far as nicotine content concerned. And as far as addiction is concerned, inhaling it or not, makes no difference as far as being addictided to the substance.

That would be like saying I only snort Meth or Coke, I don't smoke it or inject it ... so I can't get addicted.

Of course, there are 'low nicotine' tobacco plants being grown, Cupido being one that uses it ...
hensed
22 years ago
Ya what penzt8 said! You nailed it bro, my time, my space!
dbguru
22 years ago
While my cigar smoking has settled into a 10 a week habit, last week I quit for 4 days in preparation for a concert and an audition I was singing in. Other than a mild longing for my nightly cigar after the first day, I really wasn't having serious cravings. So I guess any addiction I have is much more psychological. To me its about the taste and the relaxation factor. I do notice that taking a break allow my taste buds to become less resistant to the flavor of a good cigar. Tonight, I'm looking forward to another well aged Padron 2000 maddie on the Christmas cruise my company is putting on for their holiday party.

DB
rdk
  • rdk
  • Connoisseur
22 years ago
I can go days without smoking a cigar and the only thing I truly miss is the experience of picking the one I am in the mood for cutting it lighting it and watching how it burns along with the taste and the taste of the beverage that I am having with it. That would be a pilsner urquell with a La Perla Blonde at the moment. For me it is a mental calming enjoyment deal not a physical addication like I had years ago to ciggarets. That was a bad one. And like others have said trying to find that magic cigar for two bucks that tastes like a Edicon de Silvio it is not going to happen but it is fun to try.
redsquid
22 years ago
There is a big difference between compulsion and chemical addiction. There is also a big difference between chemicals delivered through natural and engineered means. Other than a few low production brands, the 'tobacco' in a cigarette is so far from actual tobacco it should scare you. The science and chemistry behind making a cigarette a device of industry enslavement is sickening. That our beloved tobacco continues to be lumped in with an industrial byproduct by an ignorant public is one of the main problems we have to face if cigars (and pipes) will continue as a legal enjoyment.
excal1
22 years ago
Yes, I agree with the other posters who mention the relaxation factor. I don't like to walk around with a stogie while I do chores or errands. I prefer to sit quietly with my cigar and watch TV, read, look out at the landscape, or just do nothing! For that one hour, I do not allow myself to do chores or work. While I smoke, the rhythmic breathing and puffing seem to put my brain into an "alpha wave" mode, and I feel relaxed and philosophical. Sure, there are medical risks to smoking cigars, but uncontrolled stress is also a big health risk. And my stogies definitely help reduce stress.

By the way, I'm new to the boards but have been lurking awhile. Looking forward to being more active and getting to know some of you. I'm from Reno, NV. Happy Holidays to all!
Slimboli
22 years ago
While I agree with redsquid on the fact that cigarettes are 'infused' with additional nicotine (not to mention all the outher non-addictive garbage), to inhance the addictive properties for the sole purpose to keep people buying them ...

... it is a proven fact that nicotine, is still highly addictive. Some reports out (true or false) even state that it is more addictive than heroin ...

Whatever dose you are taking, your body (and brain chemistry) will still grow to depend on it (nicotine is considered a stimulant)...

... and it is still considered to be a chemical dependency.
Slimboli
22 years ago
... also, Nicotine affects the entire body. Nicotine acts directly on the heart to change heart rate and blood pressure. It also acts on the nerves that control respiration to change breathing patterns. In high concentrations, nicotine is deadly, in fact one drop of purified nicotine on the tongue will kill a person. It's so lethal that it has been used as a pesticide for centuries.

So why do people smoke?

Because nicotine acts in the brain where it can stimulate feelings of pleasure.

How Does Nicotine Act in the Brain?

Your brain is made up of billions of nerve cells. They communicate by releasing chemical messengers called neurotransmitters. Each neurotransmitter is like a key that fits into a special "lock," called a receptor, located on the surface of nerve cells. When a neurotransmitter finds its receptor, it activates the receptor's nerve cell.
The nicotine molecule is shaped like a neurotransmitter called acetylcholine. Acetylcholine and its receptors are involved in many functions, including muscle movement, breathing, heart rate, learning, and memory. They also cause the release of other neurotransmitters and hormones that affect your mood, appetite, memory, and more. When nicotine gets into the brain, it attaches to acetylcholine receptors and mimics the actions of acetylcholine.

Nicotine also activates areas of the brain that are involved in producing feelings of pleasure and reward. Recently, scientists discovered that nicotine raises the levels of a neurotransmitter called dopamine in the parts of the brain that produce feelings of pleasure and reward.

Dopamine, which is sometimes called the pleasure molecule, is the same neurotransmitter that is involved in addictions to other drugs such as cocaine and heroin. Researchers now believe that this change in dopamine may play a key role in all addictions.

This may help explain why it is so hard for people to stop smoking.


dz130
22 years ago
Slim
I believe I read somewhere that during the fermenting process, the nicotine actually leaches out of the leaves. I don't recall the amounts quoted, but from the descriptions, it was in excess of 50%. Dunno. Will have to try and find it again. Anyway, from what I remember, the amount of nicotine in a cigar vs. cigarettes was significantly less. Thereby being less addicting. Of course, none of this flies when you bring up ligero leaf. LOL.
Users browsing this topic