Slimboli
22 years ago
... sounds interesting, although I don't know how the nicotine can be 'leached' out during the fermentation process ...

... since 'leaching' usually involves running water (or some other liquid) over the leaves ...

I'm sure that the leaves are washed, to remove 'dirt and bugs', but I don't see how that would effect anthing that is 'in' the leaves.
drnos
22 years ago
HarleyDave gave me a couple of DiMeola 'oledas' in the Newbie sampler he gave me. I had never heard of them, so I looked it up. According to their web site, they're the closest thing to heaven. Actually, I've smoked one already and really enjoyed it.

** edited due to competitor reference
Slimboli
22 years ago
Probably just an honest mistake ... and why I will 'cut-n-paste', rather than post a link ...

... but ... that link you posted, drnos, is an online cigar retailer ... and that's just not allowed here ... :^)
drnos
22 years ago
Whoops! My bust, I was only thinking of it as an info. site. Cbid is the ONLY place I would buy. And I really appreciate them hosting this fantastic forum. Thanks for the reminder.
RICKAMAVEN
22 years ago
i drink decaf coffee and smoke denicotined cigars when i can find them. i haven't found one yet.

as far as the constant buying. 10 or 15 years ago when cigar prices hit the roof and a fuente curley head went from 809 cents to several dollars, most people smoked a few here and there and din't even need a humidor.

now that you can buy decent cigars at a very low price, we make up for all the candy we couldn't get when we were kids. we buy, buy, buy.

but what is life about if you can't indulge in some things. i'll bet most guys keep a car 3 or 4 years and trade it in, assumming car payments of $300 to $400 part of a normal expense, like a house payment, or rent. why not keep a car ten years and save all those car payments and interest after the car is paid off. granted both our cars have about 50,000 miles each after 10 years, but there still is maintainance. replacing all hoses on a caddy is close to $700.00, 2 car payments, and they are good for another 6 or 7 years. time and weather rots things, but it is still cheaper to fix things and drive a car for over 100,000 miles and save many years of car payments.

the only exception i would think would be the person that drives 25,000 a year or more.

so buy all the cigars you want and enjoy the obsession.
Homebrew
22 years ago
I must agree with Slim, on the nicotine being part of the addiction. But, before I found cbid, this forum, and all of you brothers of the leaf, I smoked an average, of 3 cigars a week, and 2 packs of cigarettes a day. My habit now stands at 2-3 cigars a day, and maybe 3 cigarettes a week. Usually the cigarettes are smoked times when I don't have time for a cigar. At the time I found cbid, I wouldn't even think of spending $15 bucks for a PAM Torpedo, now I do it whenever I can find them and have the cash. Before cbid, I rarely smoked ISOM's, now I try to acquire them whenever possible, even if I don't care for them, Love the PSD#4 but don't care for Monte #2, yes I know that seems to be everybodies favorite. Before I found cbid, I had never recieved a FFOX, much less a cigar from someone I had never met. That happened to me before I had been around 2 months here on the boards. Thankyou Sonny_LSU. Before I found cbid, I never found anyone else who would look out for a particular cigar that I wanted, and just send me several, on a Lark. Thanks DZ130. Even if I had to stop smoking cigars, I would probably not leave the Brotherhood I have discovered here. I just wouldn't buy as many. There are days, when I don't even think about a cigar, because I am to busy to smoke one. But not a day passes, that I do not check into this board, though I may not post. In conclusion, I think I am addicted to the brotherhood, more than the cigars.
Later
Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)
rdk
  • rdk
  • Connoisseur
22 years ago
Well said Homebrew and dead on with the forum. As crazy as it sounds this place and good cigars helped me get through the toughest part of a 32 year carrer with a little sanity left. New boses had no clue what they were doing and this place with a good smoke was the only peace I could find. Now new boses long gone but I still come here.
tandem401
22 years ago
Double D,

I feel compelled to defend most of us

WHO ARE NOT ADDICTED

Some of us joke about buying too much. Some guy even quipped that he would need a houseador to hold everything unless we stopped him with higher bids. But this is at worst a lack of buying control not smoking control and it wasn't said in earnest. Talk about addiction is playing into the hands of the smoke nazis.

I, for one, went five years without buying a cigar because I refused to pay $5 for something that I knew was worth 60 cents. I'm not exaggerating the change in price. Finally, the unsold product started to show up on retail shelves and later I found this website. Now I can get some smokes at less than I paid ten years ago despite inflation and higher taxes. Cbid is cool! I have on hand much more stock than I used to have but I consider it to be common sense not an addiction.

Regards
Secret_Agent_Man
22 years ago

It's more of an addiction to the unknown. A search for the ultimate cigar. I can go a week or more if the weather is terrible without a smoke, no problem(I smoke outside). I definately prefer not to, but I have no cravings, although That's just me.

(__{SAM}_____]]]]~~

K9JEFF
22 years ago
Its not an addiction, its a hobby.
tailgater
22 years ago
I imagine if I were to smoke 2 or 3 cigars daily, that I would become addicted because of the nicotene.

My lifestyle doesn't allow for that many smokes, and I often go a week or more without a smoke.

No withdrawal symptoms.
I would bet that I am not physically addicted.

ajeroth
22 years ago
I only smoke a cigar a day. Sometimes two if I hang out in my local shop for what they call Daycare. My wife smokes cigarettes and I have been subjected to her second hand smoke for many years. I know what a nic fit is. The tightening of the chest and the racing heart. I've known this feeling even before smoking cigars. The effects of nicotene are present. But at this point I can ignore it if I try hard enough. I feel that my enjoyment of a cigar is not linked to the fullfillment of a nicotene craving. Sometimes I smoke my cigar and still have a nic fit afterwards. Since I don't inhale this is not surprising. I enjoy the cigar. Not the nicotene. But I can't have one without the other so I'm stuck.

ajeroth
Users browsing this topic