Slimboli
22 years ago
MACS(SW) --- I don't consider myself arrogant, when all I'm doing is trying to help out those who may not be as knowledegable, learn a little about the worlds most counterfeited cigar.

And I agree ... anyone can put a genuine Cohiba in a glass tube to send or give to someone to protect it, but that is not the point I was tryig to make. If you buy one from a shop who tells you it is real, and it's in a glass tube ... you can be sure it is a fake, especially from Mexico.

In hdking's post above, he said a friend of his got that one for him in Mexico. If he bought it like that ... well ... there really is nothing more to say on it, because I've already said it ...

No harm done ... just as always, it's buyer beware!
Smokozuna
22 years ago
Looks like your collection is growing Hdking!!!

As for the Cohibas in a glass tube, if a store sells you a Cohiba in a glass tube, there's a big chance that it's a fake. Mac(SW), please don't take this as an insult. I think slimboli was just trying to point out that Habanos has not placed cigars in glass tubes in a very long time. If you're a big fan of Cohibas, you should already know that.
Smokozuna
22 years ago
Mac(SW), I forgot to mention that SLB of Cohibas only come in 25 never 20 cigars. I wish they came in 50 cabs!!!
Slimboli
22 years ago
I just wanted to top this, just in case MACS(SW) didn't see that his favorite cigar is a counterfeit 'farm' Cohiba ... that is, if what he said above is true, about the 'box of 20' ...

... not that there is anything wrong with that ... 😉
chipslave
22 years ago
Hmmm... This is very interesting info... Thanks all! Mac, I am willing to bet that it was Cuban tobacco that you smoked but if it was a box of 20, I would highly suspect it was not authentic Cohibas. Still could have been stellar smokes though.

Just my .02
al'Thor
22 years ago
Well, said, chippy, after reading much about the innerworkings of the cuban tobacco market, farms, retailing, etc. there's so much more to it than I realized. you've got licensed factory cubans, non factory cubans, non-factory cubans sold as factory cubans and non cubans sold as cubans, if you're not careful to get what you want you don't really know what you're getting...

*** thread jack off****

(I love saying that)

GREAT picture and great collection!
MACS
22 years ago
The box only had 20 because it was a mix of Robustos and Siglo II's. They didn't have a full box of either, so I mixed them and bought them at box price. They had one box of Monte 2's unopened, but I wanted the Cohibas. They also had some Partagas Corona Seniors (MM) and some H. Upmanns. That was the extent of their ISOM's. Then of course all the Te-Amo's...
MACS
22 years ago
Bassdude or DrMaddVibe can be the final authority. I sent bassdude one of the Robustos from the mix I bought and DMV got a siglo. If they tell me they are fake, then I got worked by a Mexican hustler...

My apologies to hdking for the blatant threadjack! Them is some schweet smokes ya got there.

And slim, if I did get worked, you gotta tell me what the hell kinda smoke they use as fakes, cuz it's my favorite. 🙂
hdking
  • hdking
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
22 years ago
slim
just so you know,
i never gave much thought to the cohiba in the glass tube, it just sets there because a friend gave it to me.BUT since you brought it up, i compaired it to the rest of my cohibas, and the band does NOT MATCH to the old or the new ones.thanks for all the info.

hdking
bassdude
22 years ago
wow, I missed a lot now I'll have to compare bands.

I have received Cohibas that I know are counterfeit - but they were definitely Cuban backy. So whoever rolled them may not have been legit but they were some fine smokes.
bassdude
22 years ago
OK, the band on the gar from mac is off. It is cut through a row of squares leaving a half row at the top. It is definitely Island backy, great smell and the perfect cap is identical to the Siglos I received from smithbw. Wrapper is a definite match.

So is it a legit cohiba or a farm rolled Cohiba. Whatever, it is legit backy and I am gonna smoke it.
Slimboli
22 years ago
Just like al'Thor said in his post above:

" ... after reading much about the innerworkings of the cuban tobacco market, farms, retailing, etc., there's so much more to it than I realized. You've got licensed factory cubans, non factory cubans, non-factory cubans sold as factory cubans and non cubans sold as cubans, if you're not careful to get what you want you don't really know what you're getting ..."

I suspect it is genuine Cuban tobacco, just not a genuine Cohiba ... and probably rolled at a smaller 'lesser known' 'farm' factory.

I've had several Cuban cigars that had counterfeit bands on them ... that turned out to be really great cigars, in their own right. They just weren't the 'named' cigar that I paid the high $$$ for ...
MACS
22 years ago
Well, it sounds as if I got semi-hosed. I know the sonovaguns are good!! They were about $10 each, so they were worth it to me.

Thanks to slimboli and bassdude for the lesson. Maybe I ain't as naive as I think, but still not as edumacated as I need to be...

And on a final note... I've been wrong before and it will happen again.
bassdude
22 years ago
I need to get another rob then I can compare them. All I have now are some Siglos and an EL.

Guess I need to check the other site and post here also.

The only diff I see is the band and maybe it was just cut wrong?


hdking
  • hdking
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
22 years ago
tony
i am calling mine in the glass tube a fake because,
i looked at the link slim posted and compaired all my cohibas.
under cohiba it says la habana,cuba.
on the one i have in the tube all the letters touch together.
useing the link, i looked over all the real ones,
and did not see any that the letters touched together
on.
if i am looking at that wrong, im sure slim will correct me.(slim let me know)

hdking
bassdude
22 years ago
mine has the new band. I have a variety of fake Cohibas in multiple sizes. Most have good Island backy. I know what you mean by the cursive type print I did not really look at that on this one though.
fritzthetiger
22 years ago
I get into the ISOMs too; I have an extensive collection. I noticed you have some bolivars in there. What do you think? I'm a bit disappointed. I've given them 6 mos in my humi and still am not as impressed as CA seems to be.

Fritz
bassdude
22 years ago
Fritz, give em 3 years.
Slimboli
22 years ago
hdking --- you are correct in seeing something else that is not easily seen in the photo above ...

... what I saw (besides the obvious glass tube), was the fact that there are only 'two rows' of white squares above the box with 'Cohiba' in it ... and the 'new' bands will have three.
Smokozuna
22 years ago
Just an FYI, the new bands are supposed to have 3 rows of squares. I once recieved a box that had the new bands with only 2 rows on squares on some of the cigars. They were 100% legit. That goes to show that bands are not the best way to authenticate Cuban cigars. Infact, authentic bands, boxes and seals can easily be purchased on auction sites. I will tell you that glass and Cohibas are a definite sign of a fake. Caveat Emptor.
Users browsing this topic