Gandalf
21 years ago
OK, I'm finished with my plays. I took:

#5
#36
#56
#63
#65

I put #70 through #77.

The box is a little beat up, but the contents are safe and sound. I will repack and ship tomorrow.

Stogeeboy, glad you reminded me that it comes to you next - I was all set to ship it to Dave. I think I have your snailer, but just in case, can you e-mail it to me? gandalf907 at yahoo.

Looking forward to the taste testing part of this pass. I went out and picked up a couple of the sticks reviewed based on the comments made.

I'm going to look over the present contents for accuracy. The stick in question - #19 or #20, is NOT a double corona.

Thanks for letting me play fellas.......
lukin
  • lukin
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
It looks like Marcus has number nineteen then and twenty is still available. Thanks for the clarification. If you could somehow mark it to ensure that the stick that is there (it should be a light colored Robusto) is labeled number twenty all should be well.

Thanks for taking care of the box and nice plays on your end. Thanks again for everything and being part of the pass. I will send Stogieboys addy in case he doesn't get the message
lukin
  • lukin
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
turns out I lost his snailer. I just dropped him an e-mail asking him to send it to you....let me know if you get it. Thanks
Gandalf
21 years ago
OK, I have stogeeboys snailer from a previous trade, so we're all set for shipment. Insured USPS will require a signature.....

I went through the list and here is what I found:

Marcus took #19 but wrote his handle on line 20. I fixed that. He also forgot to take out #45 - it would have been his 5th selection. I've removed it and will send it to him to review. Everything in the list now matches.

I took some music Cds out and put some in. Also took some coasters and Golf Balls. Thanks.

Put a small selection of robustos in a seperate baggie for the Host - labels on (you're going to be blind tasting for a while as it is). Everything is set to travel tomorrow.

Rock on.........
lukin
  • lukin
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
You are the best thanks for straightening out the mix-up and taking care of everything you are a great BOTL.
Gandalf
21 years ago
Ahh shucks........

Great pass Lukin, nice job putting it all together. I'll send you the updated spreadsheet tomorrow from work - it's looking good.......
SirWolfgang
21 years ago
Yesterday was one of those rare, "days from hell" at work. When I got home, the smiles on my kids faces, however, changed it all around for me! After a wonderful dinner was enjoyed and cleared away, my family retired o various parts of the house to relax. I grabbed #23, a guillotine cutter, wooden matches, a glass of water, and my notebook and headed out to the front porch swing. #23 has haunted me since I first opened the blind pass package. Of all the cigars involved, it first caught my eye.

I studied them all, looking carefully at the caps and wrappers. I looked for sticks that I thought I would recognize without a band, like PAMs. Carefully, I rolled them in my fingers, studying the veins and looked for hints of toothyness. Again and again, I would glance out of the corner of my eye at #23, believing I had found a treasure...

So it was time, I removed the cello and looked again closely at #23. My wife opened the front door and began to say something to me, but when I turned to look, she smiled and rolled her eyes at me (actually, I think that after the day I had a work, she decided I needed this). Her eye rolling usually means that I need to come in and handle some situation (remember, I have six children), but not tonight. I was on a mission...I was intently looking at #23, running my fingers over it's smooth dark chocolate-brown, maduro wrapper.

23 was a 6 1/2 x 50-52? box-pressed torpedo. As I said, the wrapper was smooth and very dark, almost oscuro. It wasn't as oily as some, or as textured, but it's aroma was strong and appealing. It was so smooth that it was difficult to see the edges of the wrapper as it spiraled down the length. It felt slightly heavy and was firmly packed. Construction was flawless.

It was time, I clipped the head. The pre-light draw was tight, but not bad. I toasted the foot and began to push back against the porch swing. A nice paper-white ash began to form, though not evenly. The first inch was pretty standard. Nothing to really write home about. The burn evened out and the flavor began to increase. The tight draw loosened up after I headed into the second inch. There was a slight hint of pepper. The ash dropped in my lap, dang. I was finally starting to relax, rethink the troubles of the workday. At about the midpoint, the body began to become more intense. Still not much difference in the flavor. I lit two more matches and purged #23. It was a good medium-bodied smoke. As I headed into the home stretch, I could detect some cocoa and coffee hints. There never was much smoke from this one, pretty quiet. But the smoke there, was dense and heavy, lingering around head level in the still air of the cooling evening hours. I like a loud, smokey cigar, but this was nice. Maybe it was nice in contrast of the loud day preceding it.

I could hear the children behind me, in the house. They had returned from their quiet corners and the Lego room in the basement and were following directions getting into their pajamas and brushing their teeth. I looked at the last inch and a half, just where the head began to taper. #23 was mellow and smooth now, as was I. I thanked it, laid it on the ground in the rose bed (my wife hates that) and wished it a good night. Then I went in to read a few books to the little ones and lead my family in evening prayers. I enjoyed licking my lips, while I turned the pages, my mind drifting from the characters in the books back to #23. It wasn't the best smoke I've ever had, but it was very good. It was just what I needed last night. Something most flavorful and intense might have been too much. Something too mild would have been disappointing. I'm still not sure what #23 was, but I think it was destiny. (thanks, Dice7711)

-Wolfy
dice7711
21 years ago
Very well written Wolfy. The subject of your eloquent prose was a Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 Torp. Not a bad stick for the money IMHO. Glad it served its purpose! dice7711
StogeeBoy
21 years ago
Hey guys got the box this A.M. Will post my takes and puts a little later.
StogeeBoy
21 years ago
Hey guys can anyone explain to me how to differentiate the prices. Most have all yellow stickers and soem green and one red. Am I supposed to just pick or is there a certain order to them??
Gandalf
21 years ago
John, I believe you just find five that strike your fancy and select them. None of us know the actually value so that it won't influence our taste testing.....

Have fun.
StogeeBoy
21 years ago
Cool thanks a lot Gan. You are the white wizard LOL.
lukin
  • lukin
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
the idea is to choose five, any five that look interesting to you and then put five in from the ratio that I set up. The idea is that you may choose five excellent ones or five cheapies, but more likely you will have a nice mix....the experiment is in not knowing anything about a cigar other than the way it looks, and how price/band/brand etc. affect the smoking experience (i.e. everyone says a PAM is superior but we often smoke a PAM on a special occasion and we have prejudgements on how it should smoke...on the other hand we see a Macanudo and it comes with its own set of prevalue attached to it...we are seeing in part if those values are equal regardless of price/conceived value) So take five that look good and put five in according to the price ranges established (or if you choose put in better sticks that the price range established).

Interestingly enough...looking at what I put in and what is left....the ratio is still almost identical. There are a couple from each value range still in there (including two super-premiums).
StogeeBoy
21 years ago
Hey guys I'm sending the box out right after this post. Fast huh??
Takes Puts
6 78-85
61
42
69
73
77


Threw in a couple for the host and a guilotine and a Xikar case incase someone lost theirs.
Grabbed the golf balls and a couple of coasters. Sending to Dave next.
Insuring for $200 D.C and Signature comfirm.
Will e-mail to lukin after I get back from work.
Thanks again for having me, it was a great pleasure.
StogeeBoy
21 years ago
Whoops put: 78-85
lukin
  • lukin
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
sounds great...hope you like your picks. Thanks for taking care of the box and for being a part of the pass. Happy smoking!!!!!

Doing the pee-pee dance as the box wings its way back to the west coast and to dave.
dice7711
21 years ago
Good job Stogie. Hit em straight!
SirWolfgang
21 years ago
StogeeBoy, can't wait to hear your review of #61.

-Wolfy
StogeeBoy
21 years ago
SirWolf that will be the first one I smoke. Will let you know in a bout 5 days(gonna let the smokes get acclimated to my liking.
dave97402
21 years ago
The eagle has landed!!

I made my picks and will post them later when I get a chance.

Nicely put together, everything is in great shape. Picked up a Eagles live cd (when hell freezes) ....sweet!!!

More to come

Dave
Users browsing this topic