Thom
  • Thom
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
The homebrew I made with my buddy Dave, turned out pretty darn good. Nice and dark, as you can see. It smells initially of burnt sugar, from the the molasses we added. The first thing I taste is the hops and then the dark malt. It's surprisingly lite tasting for it's appearance. I think it reminds me of Newcastle Brown Ale, but sweeter.

Dave says "It packs quite a punch, huh?" Our friend Dale is getting red faced after 3 glasses, and I'm not feeling too bad my-own-self. 🙂

The women say they can taste the molasses. Stephanie says "Oooh, I taste molasses. It's kind of sweet. This is really goooood." The guys say it tastes like good beer. LOL Viva la difference.
373866.jpg

Click to View Image116 View(s)

countryboy83
21 years ago
care to make a trade?


OpusX2 at hotmail dot com

Mo'sMan
21 years ago
Looks darn tasty. Sticks and dark beer.......mmmmmmm.

Countryboy.......if you're interested in learning to homebrew I'll send you a book on the basics. Let me know bro. it's not too difficult and I like dark and rich beer myself.
countryboy83
21 years ago
Is it very expensive???????


I'm not sure if I can afford another hobby if it's like cigars but man that looks tasty.

Country
wer
  • wer
  • Herf-A-Holic
21 years ago
looking tasty.

Homebrewing can be considerably more economical if you compare your output to an equal amount of expensive imported or microbrews. Granted, you have to consider that your time isn't worth anything, but if you enjoy the process it becomes a reasonably cheap hobby.
Homebrew
21 years ago
What Wer Said.
Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)
Cigarick
21 years ago
If you brew the quicker easy way (malt extract), you'll save time, but not much money over the cost of a good micro or import.

If you brew the time-consuming way (all-grain), you can save well over 50% vs. store-bought costs.
Homebrew
21 years ago
Cigarick,
It really depends on your alcohol taxes. Here in Arkansas, 2 sixpacks of mirobrew will set you back $20. I get 2 cases extra for the same cost, extract brewing.
Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)
Mo'sMan
21 years ago
It seemed to me that by using malt extract it was about 60% of micro-import costs. For about $50 I can get around four cases of good beer. At about $25 for micro-import(more for some) it's definitely cheaper. I've never done whole grain but from what I understand it can be almost half that again.
andytv
21 years ago
Nice looking brew Thom!!

The molasses probably is nice addition. I brewed some stouts in the past with a little Lactose (milk sugar).

It is non-fermentable to a degree so it adds "real" sweetnes to the beer. Not everyone's cup of tea, but great with some beer styles!

Enjoy the suds.

And Yes..........all-grain brewing saves you big on $$$ but takes a significant amount of time and a little more experience to get it right.

Cigarick
21 years ago
Yikes! $10 a sixer? I'm sure not retiring to Arkansas!
Mo'sMan
21 years ago
between $6 and $10 here as well
NorCalGuy
21 years ago
I agree. Nothing beats the taste of a fine cigar (partagas for me) and a good home brewed ale. My home brew of choice is called nutty brown ale. I don't have the patience to cook the malt grains so I use a mixture of half malt grains and half malt extract. I'm in Northern California, Marysville to be exact, and you would like to try some give me call. [email protected]
Homebrew
21 years ago
Hey Andy,
You Wrote.
"The molasses probably is nice addition. I brewed some stouts in the past with a little Lactose (milk sugar).

It is non-fermentable to a degree so it adds "real" sweetnes to the beer. Not everyone's cup of tea, but great with some beer styles! "
Using lactose, and a generous helping of chocolate malt,
I can almost recreate Youngs double chocolate stout.
Yum.
Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)
Slimboli
21 years ago
Now why did I think this thread was about cigars that Homebrew sent to Thom that he thought were good ...

... and he was posting pictures of them?
mbarfin
21 years ago
I figured it was a post about that pic of Homebrew with those Robert Plant locks.

LMAO
JStrider
21 years ago
man that looks goooooood

once i get out of the dorms im gonna try my hand at home brewing... i think it sounds like a lot of fun
Thom
  • Thom
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
Too funny. I didn't even think about my homebrew being confused with Homebrew. Although I do like both of them, I just don't think the same way about Homebrew as I do my beer. LOL

BTW I walked home from Dave's house that night, and the next day my head felt a bit heavier than normal. If you get my meaning.
MACS
21 years ago
I've never seen an El Rey del Mundo shaped like that.
Thom
  • Thom
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
I was wondering when someone was going to ask about the cigar...

It's an El Rey Del Mundo Flor De Lavonda (Trumpet), maduro. Great medium body smoke that has a good complexity, especially after about the 1st inch when it kicks in for a few puffs, then mellows out again.
Users browsing this topic