HockeyDad
5 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez90rXhMWjE

CNBC - not exactly right wing media...

MACS wrote:



That was a really interesting video. The exodus out of California has been going on for a long time. What’s different right now is that immigration out of Cali to other states has always been overshadowed by immigration into Cali from abroad. For the last couple of years that has not happened and Cali actually shrank in population.

I love being in California. I’ve spent about 25% of my life here spread across two time periods. I have already left once and came back 17 years later when a Silicon Valley tech firm paid me a bunch of money to come back and moved me across the country. I’ll leave again at some point and I’m already planning it. The tech exodus from the Bay Area is real but Silicon Valley will be fine. When ‘Rona is over and life comes back there will be another influx. Increased green energy money may be the next big driver.

There is a bill right now under consideration to extend the California state income tax to those over a certain income who leave the state and to tax them for ten years after they left.

frankj1
5 years ago

Do you think in the long run that working for home will affect compensation? Certainly cost of living is factored into how much you need to pay someone to attract them. Now they can live in BFE at a fraction of what it would cost to live near corporate HQ.

Krazeehorse wrote:


excellent question, great point.
I am not the one to ask, but if I was an employee, I might feel I have to move depending on the answers to your question.

But would compensation stay higher for a desirable employee living in, say, San Francisco after corporate moves to Houston because it can be justified by the lower overhead in Houston coupled with less square footage for rent?
Did I word that properly? Might the company still be saving enough to keep stay at home talent with higher costs of living?
danmdevries
5 years ago
Same thing's happening in Illinois, or at least in Chicagoland. Cost of living and doing business in Cook County is insanely high. The shop I used to work at now has nearly $100k/yr bill just for property tax. Small shop, about 15 employees. My house in Cook Co, in a not so great neighborhood, now has a $10k annual property tax bill. I now have 10x the land, slightly less square footage, safe area, and $1500/yr in taxes just 20 minutes away.
rfenst
5 years ago
Florida, folks. Florida. No state income tax. Inexpensive living expenses compared to most other places.
I am 100% satisfied with my move from Michigan's suburbs (Southfield) to greater Orlando. I do not plan on moving out of state unless one or both of my children do and have children. Both will probably end up living in South Florida so that is where we will end-up really retiring.
danmdevries
5 years ago

Florida, folks. Florida. No state income tax. Inexpensive living expenses compared to most other places.
I am 100% satisfied with my move from Michigan's suburbs (Southfield) to greater Orlando. I do not plan on moving out of state unless one or both of my children do and have children. Both will probably end up living in South Florida so that is where we will end-up really retiring.

rfenst wrote:



I'd rather not deal with the hurricanes n stuff tho.


opelmanta1900
5 years ago
Saw a reddit post of a real billboard in Florida reminding dad's that getting drunk wasn't an excuse to have sex with their daughters... "she's your daughter, not your date" it read... real billboard... real Florida...
HockeyDad
5 years ago

Saw a reddit post of a real billboard in Florida reminding dad's that getting drunk wasn't an excuse to have sex with their daughters... "she's your daughter, not your date" it read... real billboard... real Florida...

opelmanta1900 wrote:



Plus there are alligators in all the swimming pools.
zitotczito
5 years ago

The downside is the spreading of insane California political ideas.

Companies are also leaving NY state.

Gene363 wrote:



You got that right.
MACS
  • MACS
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
rfenst
5 years ago

I'd rather not deal with the hurricanes n stuff tho.

danmdevries wrote:


Meh. You got winter.
zitotczito
5 years ago
Hey Robert, I have begun building my house in Manatee County. We will have to get together when I am finished. I won't have winter for long.
rfenst
5 years ago

Hey Robert, I have begun building my house in Manatee County. We will have to get together when I am finished. I won't have winter for long.

zitotczito wrote:


Congratulations, Bro!
Herf at Zito's house real soon!!!

(MadVibe is nearby too and there is a new CI store north of where you will be.)
frankj1
5 years ago
danmdevries
5 years ago

Plus there are alligators in all the swimming pools.

HockeyDad wrote:



Thats a bonus. Gator is delicious.

Id install a pool for the sole purpose of trapping a gator if it was a predictably regular thing.
danmdevries
5 years ago

Meh. You got winter.

rfenst wrote:



Touche

I did just fly down there to escape the weather for a minute.
ZRX1200
5 years ago
Not as cool as goldfish in the swimming pool.....
rfenst
5 years ago

Not as cool as goldfish in the swimming pool.....

ZRX1200 wrote:


I have a salt pool ... so I need the oceanic equivalent- damsel fish.
ZRX1200
5 years ago
No it’s fine you just gotta use a lot of them.
BuckyB93
5 years ago
Excellent! A pool fish reference.

http://www.cigarbid.com/Forum/c/posts/63405/pool-fish 

Tirty NINE!
tonygraz
5 years ago

Thats a bonus. Gator is delicious....

danmdevries wrote:



Nah, tastes like chicken.
Users browsing this topic