B Naked
23 years ago
I got a box of these from Ted Kennedy back in 1963. Had one and loved it, but left the box out and wouldn't you know, the damn dog ate every last one of them. Not wanting these suckers to go to waste, I followed the dog around the back yard all afternoon trying to recover what I could...In the end, they ended up looking a lot like pimp sticks. But of course I still smoked em.
rookie139
23 years ago
I'll bring one stick to the LOL herf Russ for you, only if you make the venison chili again!...At this moment, they have a taste profile very similar to a ten year old well aged Bolivar Corona Gigante, with a little hint of the old blend Monte #2 still remaining!....I had some guy from Spain offer me $600 for half a box (thirteen sticks) of the double maduros (which are almost completely white with plume!)...Yeah riiight...I wouldn't sell them for less than $150 a stick (which is what Christie's last auctioned them for two years ago if I remember correctly)...They are extremely rare and about six months ago, I did trade two sticks of the Nats for 3/4 a box of '94 RASS...Tried one of the RASS and the Salazars are still better tasting!
rookie139
23 years ago
Sorry guys...You can't purchase them anywhere as far as I know...They are that rare of a cigar...They were last made commercially in 1953 and mine are from 1951...They are a Nicaraguan/Cuban blend that already had ten years of age when they were rolled...The wrapper is unbelievably smooth with very few veins visible and the wrapper is still unbelievably oily, so oily that if you run your finger across the cigar lengthwise, you finger turns completely white from the plume that completely covers it and the oils from the wrapper almost drip off your finger!!...I was able to get a mastercase from my uncle (who passed away a few years ago) and he's owned them since the 50's...I sold several boxes to those in my cigar club (JCrimmins, Hog, etc) two years ago and it looks like I'm the only one that has them left!

You guys smoke too damn fast!..LOL
DrMaddVibe
23 years ago
So if I book airfare today for Chicago...You'll bring 2?
usahog
23 years ago
Ohhhhhhh Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssss I'm gettin Wood!!!!!!! I'll be makin a double batch of Chili just for that!!!! and I got ya some extra hot sauce to take home with ya!!!!

Hog
rookie139
23 years ago
Sounds good to me!!!
joedayan
23 years ago
Newbie to the forum. I've got a couple of boxes in my humidor i would let go real cheap. I never liked them that much. Email me @xxxxxx.com and I'll trade some isoms or equal value for the two boxes i have. One is a pyramid 6x54 and the other a robusto 5x52. I believe the names were the Succubus(pyramid) and the incubus(robusto). They just taste too much like aged Monte 2's and i prefer the stronger Hoyo or punch
BMW
  • BMW
  • Herf-A-Holic
23 years ago
Hello new guy Joe, long time reader, first time poster. I think you've been smoking too many of the missedthebus, (the little white cigarillos with a Zig Zag watermark on the wrapper).

Barry
rookie139
23 years ago
Joedayan, email sent
Mr.Mean
23 years ago
Hello all, long time poster, first time reader. I've had a couple of these in my time. If you enjoy having epifanies, this is the cigar for you. Whatever monies you have alocated for smokes, double it, sell your dog, your truck, and evening wear. Hell, donate a kidney (I heard that's how Rookie got his) do whatever you have to do, DO IT! This is the end all of smokes.
Slimboli
23 years ago
.smokes of all end the is This !IT DO, do to have you whatever do (his got Rookie how that's heard I) kidney a donate, Hell. wear evening and, truck your, dog your sell, it double, smokes for alocated have you monies Whatever. you for cigar the is this, epifanies having enjoy you If. time my in these of couple of had I've. reader time first, poster time long, all Hello.
usahog
23 years ago
Slim you been drinkin a few and smokin a SD??? LMAO!!!!

Hog

bud451
23 years ago
Slim....turn you keyboard around!
Slimboli
23 years ago
Oh yeah ... now it's working right .. LOL!
Steve*R
23 years ago
The J.L. SALAZAR Y HERMANOS RESERVA ESPECIAL is still available from one vendor. I believe it's a house brand made by Kiki Berger, but the copy below refers to others.

copied and pasted:

"Since 1810 the Salazar family lived in Pinar Del Rio, Cuba. This region of Cuba is celebrated for growing the Island’s finest tobacco. The family almost immediately began to work the beautiful tobacco fields. Tradition led their future generations to harvest tobacco, and eventually buying land and establishing their own farms. The four Salazar brothers worked their fields together.
They gained prominence throughout Cuba for growing and harvesting the finest tobacco in the region. All four brothers built their homes on the farm and made harvesting Cuba’s best tobacco their life’s work.
At 12 noon every day, the four Salazar brothers would meet in the porch of elder brother Mario’s house. Mario would unroll his burlap bag and open it. Inside were the finest tobacco leaves of the farm’s harvest. The perfectly cured leaves were exquisite, and were the envy of the other tobacco farmers. The burlap bag would be passed around and each brother would choose the tobacco leaves for their cigars. Each would then hand roll their own cigars. They would each only roll enough cigars for the day’s smoke. While each brother preferred a different cigar size, the blend would always be the same for all four brothers. The blend became the talk of the region. Following old Cuban tradition, the Salazar brothers would share their prized SALAZAR cigars with the other tobacco growers and cigar makers. The word about these magnificent tasting cigars and their special blend of tobacco leaves spread quickly and eventually Cigar connoisseurs throughout Cuba would travel across the Island for just a handful of these exquisite SALAZAR cigars. Made in small batches from the farms finest tobacco leaves, they were always in short supply and never exported out of Cuba.

Mario’s sons, Jorge L. Salazar and brothers Mario and Max, have continued the family’s traditions. When they left Cuba they carried with them the secret special Salazar blend of tobacco leaves. Now they are making those same cigars in Nicaragua. J.L. Salazar y Hermanos Cabinet Selection cigars are each handcrafted by master rollers and made to the Salazar brothers standards. They use the secret Salazar blend of tobacco Cuban-Seed Habano leaves."

Steve*R
23 years ago
I did a little research after my previous post. They are made by Tabacalera Esteli, Kiki Berger's house. Here's a description: The wrapper is Ecuador grown Cuban-seed Habano leaf. Binder is Cuban-Seed Habano 2000 and filler is a sun-grown Cuban-Seed Habano tobacco grown by Tabacalera Esteli.
Slimboli
23 years ago
Now this is REALLY getting good ... and way too funny ... hehehe!
DrMaddVibe
23 years ago
This isn't made by Kiki. You've got someone else confused with them.
Steve*R
23 years ago
Confirmed this morning: J.L. Salazar y Hermanos Reserva Especial is being made in Kiki Berger's Tabacaleri Esteli factory.

If anyone is interested in the source I found, shoot me an email with JL Salazar in the subject line.

[email protected]
fbcoacho
23 years ago
yes this Hermosa smoke is made by Kiki but the "ORIGINAL" Salazar Diplomat" was not.
Users browsing this topic