xibbumbero
21 years ago
Have you thought about a Toyota? They happen to be the best rated,the Tacoma as well as the Tundra. X
sketcha
21 years ago
x, I thought I was going to be the only one to mention that.

If domestic is your only option, go Ford. In general better strength and reliability, a little less comfort.

Toyotas have been great to my family. My father's '84, underpowered 4Runner went 500,000 without any major work. I think he did a timing chain. He had oversized tires and rims on it and we pulled ski boats and other trailers all the time with it.

My wife drives the '96 4Runner. She's got about 133K with no problems. I bought it used for her over Ford or Chevy because I knew it would never fail her and my daughter when they're in the middle of nowhere.

I have a '95 Avalon with about 125K. No problems.

If you want... "no problems" go with Toyota. If you want undersized brakes and rattle boxes, go with Ford or Chevy.

BTW, my father also has a '69 Ford Highboy 4X4. He's had it for about 25 years now. Incredible machine! Not for the timid though. It's a big rig for no power steering and old-school brakes. I learned to drive in that on the ranch and then the road. It's mean! You never feel like you need a seatbelt.
0patience
21 years ago
E-chick,
As far as maintenance costs, a chevy is cheaper.
As far as reliability, take your pick.
Not alot of difference in the newer trucks.

My boy just got his license in July and we got him a 71 Chevy 3/4 ton. Pretty basic and alot of metal there.
The insurance was pretty reasonable too.

Just my opinion.
eh3856
21 years ago
Marla...I have a 98 Chevy Silverado 2500 with 141,000 miles on it that I use every day for driving back and forth to work and I love it. You need to specify if there is a price range in mind because that may narrow it down considerably. Does he want an extended cab or just a regular cab ? 1500 , 2500 , 3500 etc ?...Good luck and happy shopping...Ed
MACS
21 years ago
*sigh*

My son already has his permit and will get his license in February... he is already talking about customizing MY truck! But, I don't really care... i'll let him have it in February. It's a 1995 Nissan Hardbody. Just a small truck with a 4 banger in it, perfect for him and his mom's nerves. 🙂

This way... DAD gets a new car! I don't want another truck. I don't use it for work or play... just to carry stuff when I need to. Now the kid can do that!

By the way... i'd go with the Nissan Titan. Nice truck! Or a Toyota. Me no rikey Amellican cars. (save your rants, you ain't gonna change my mind)
drjothen
21 years ago
Chevy!!!

1951 Pickup
2002 Avalanche
2004 Trailblazer
ducati996
21 years ago
Buy him a motorcycle....he will get to school faster.
calavera
21 years ago
The only option to consider is Jeep. Get him a grand cherokee. Anything he needs to haul and tow- it can do. Plus it will last 9,000,000 times longer than ford or chevy.

If you have to go one or the other, beware of 80's and 90's vintage chevy. The tranny is notoriously bad on the 1/4 ton models. I drove a 95 for a year and a half while doing soil sampling. Put 3 new trannys in it. One of them lasted about 225 miles. The GM mechanic swore each time that there was nothing else wrong with the truck causing the tranny to go out.

During the same time frame I drove a 94 F-150 and a 2002 F-150 and never had any kind of problem with them.

J
sketcha
21 years ago
My mother has a Grand Cherokee and it's a piece of crap!

It's been steadily falling apart since about 60K. Another American Rattle Box!
niteorday
21 years ago
My 94 Ranger supercab has 130,000 miles on it and still runs like new. Only repairs so far is replacement of power steering lines and one of the rear brake lines. However, it will need ball joints in a couple of years.
PuffYourCaresAway
21 years ago
I'm a Ford man. Love my restored 1978 F150. I've pretty much lost faith in all the newer vehicles. They are designed to be throw away vehicles and the amount of recalls and TSB's on these newer vehicles astounds me. Something to consider since your son will be 16, and that you live in Cali, is cost of insurance. Unless $$ is of no concern. I would get him a restored large Ford pickup from the '60s or '70s. It wouldn't cost much to fully insure it, pay it off, and it wouldn't be hard to work on or find parts for, if ya'll are mechanically inclined. That's my two cents.
Users browsing this topic