SteveS
  • SteveS
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
I saw this article on CNN.com this morning and was, to some extent surprised since I thought he'd stay on for a while to help settle some of the more prominent issues we're facing ...

I'm sorry to see him go since I've thought him to be one of the best and brightest of those advising the President and had hoped to see him stay in place ... it'd be nice to think we'll see him surface as a candidate for the Presidency in '08, but I'm afraid that won't happen since Mrs Powell is dead set against the idea ...

Great thanks for a job well done, sir ...

=======================================================

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell has submitted his resignation to President Bush, the White House said on Monday.

Powell is the most prominent of four Cabinet officials whose resignations will be announced Monday, sources told CNN.

The others will be Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman, Education Secretary Rod Paige and Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham, the sources said.

Powell told his senior staff that he planned to stay on until a replacement was confirmed, State Department officials said.

State Department officials told CNN that Bush and Powell decided mutually that it was time for him to go.

The officials said that Powell plans to keep working on a number of key issues, including North Korean nuclear talks, the Iraqi elections scheduled for January and Middle East peace process.

Powell was scheduled to travel to Egypt next week for a conference on Iraq.
Homebrew
21 years ago
Bummer,
The only voice of reason in the Bush Administration is stepping down.
He will be missed.
Later
Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)
sketcha
21 years ago
Well when all of your words fall on deaf ears...

It had to be frustrating as hell for him. I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. To me, that makes him a true, loyal patriot.

All the best, Colin.
PMoreno349
21 years ago
ditto these comments.
This is an indicator for sure.
cexshun
21 years ago
Vote Colin Powell 2008
bloody spaniard
21 years ago
Condi Rice may replace him- a vast improvement.
Charlie
21 years ago
Colin Powell in 2008!
bloody spaniard
21 years ago
I didn't know that you were an affirmative-action/quota, big government, gun-control liberal, Charlie! Colin is to the left of most Americans.
;-)
Charlie
21 years ago
I am not a liberal, just a middle of the road Republican with leanings toward Libraterian! LIke Colin and think he would be a great President!

Charlie
Charlie
21 years ago
Colin is not for affirmative action by the way!

Charlie
Homebrew
21 years ago
I agree Charlie.
Colin Powell is presidential material.
Later
Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)
bloody spaniard
21 years ago
Charlie, do a google search on Powell & you'll see where he AND Condi , to a lesser degree, have often publicly stated their support for affirmative action. You can also check CNN.com (comments on the Court's Michigan ruling).

The pro- choice Colin would make an "excellent", liberal, DEMOCRATIC Presidential candidate along with a running-mate like "Crackers Alabama"--the senator from Illinois who was soundly beaten in the debates by erudite, Ambassador Alan Keyes.
LMAO!!!
Users browsing this topic