blackfoot11
21 years ago
anybody know how to get rid of JAVA/BYTE?

i am not sending this from my infected computer.

[email protected]
spadesman
21 years ago
Found this on the web. Hope it helps.

do you have Sun's java , or Microsoft's javaVM? If you have sun's go to control panel, click on java, click cache and clear. If you have Microsoft's unistall it and download Sun's java.

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/howto-21.html 

http://java.com/en/download/help/cache_virus.jsp 

this is the download page for Sun's Java

http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp 
blackfoot11
21 years ago
spade, you da man.

i loaded sun, and cleared the cache, and my avg finds no virus now, although, i still cannot open certian sites, such as yahoo. i get redirected to a site called about blank.

any sugestions?

i'd like to get the s.o.b. that writes this crap in the same room for 5 minutes. i guarentee he wouldn't type for 12 weeks. its too bad they hide behind thier p.c., like a little wuss.

i'll run my virus scan later tonight, and see if it's still clear.

thanks, bro.

blackfoot
herfsnipe
21 years ago
Make sure you've cleared all your temporary internet files. I'd even trash the cookies and run Adaware from Lavasoft. You've got a cookie on there that's directing you to a temp search site. Adaware PE once a day does it for me. You'll get new ad cookies with almost all sites you visit.

spadesman
21 years ago
glad to help.

do what herf said and if that doesn't work, let me know and I'll see what I can do

spadesman at hotmail dot com

blackfoot11
21 years ago
i tried that, with no good results.

so i downloaded a different browser, and that seems to have worked.

thanks guys.

blackfoot
eleltea
21 years ago
My brother who is a Quaker and does not believe in capital punishment is torn to make an exception for a-holes who make viruses.
MARKQ
21 years ago
Blackfoot - You may have a variety of the CWS browser hijacker. Try doing a search for a utility called CWShredder. Download and run the program and see if it removes the hijacker. I use two programs called spywareguard and spywareblaster to prevent reinfection. These are free and I have not had any problems since I started using them. Ad-aware and Spybot scans usuall come back clean also. Hope this helps.
MARKQ
21 years ago
Just I little more info-
If CWShredder doesn't work try going to www.merijn.org -
this site has a a lot of info about browser hijackers and spyware as well as a few programs and links to help forums to help you remove problems on your own. When I got a CWS hijacker on my computer I probably spent a good 8-10hrs trying to remove it. It's gone now and the 2 programs I mentioned previously have keep me clean. Good Luck!!!
blackfoot11
21 years ago
thanks for the info, markq. . the brotherhood here is so awsome. its no wonder i hang out, here.

will try those suggestions tonight.

blacky
Cigar_Fiend
21 years ago
I also use the Adaware and Spybot. I like them. Are there others that work as well or better?

-Chris
baracuda
21 years ago
Blackfoot,
I have the same aboutblank crap on mine, I did scans with sybot, spysweeper, and Ad-aware SE, These programs found and quarintined a whole lotta Hyjackers and traces and I don't even know what else.

VERY IMPORTANT point : Since I've run these programs I can't log into any secure sites. In other words, No login to my CBID account, my USPS account or my E-Bay account. Apparently one of these things has changed something in my registry or removed the info needed in order to login to secure sites. Just something for you to keep in mind.

I'm about to format the hard drive and start over.
Unless one of you awsome BOTL's has some magic dust I can sprinkle on the tower and make it all better. LOL

This has become a real pain in the arse !!!

Cuda
mikimoto
21 years ago
Cuda,

Before you format your hard drive, you may want to try installing firefox browser. It doesn't suffer the popup / browser hijacking problems microsoft internet explorer is vulnerable to. Also, if you are using windows 2000 or windows xp, instead of formating your drive and losing all your data, you can use the chkdsk command in the system recovery console to fix windows files. You can even install windows 2000 or windows xp over itself which just replaces system files and doesn't delete your programs or data.

Some things to think about.
baracuda
21 years ago
"""threadjack on"""

miki,
shoot me an email, if you get the chance

Cuda,
baracuda at direcway dot com


"""Threadjack off"""
mikimoto
21 years ago
Cuda,

Email sent.

Miki
blackfoot11
21 years ago
cuda, i'll e-mail you tonight.
blackfoot11
21 years ago
i installed firefox on mine, and it worked. fixed a whole lotta problems.
bassdude
21 years ago
ya'll are living my agony - I still am not on top shape. I have to clean my registry and find a virus that McAffee can not detect.
TopJimmy
21 years ago
i had to do the disk recovery thing. do you guys know if you can only do this once? i
SirWolfgang
21 years ago
Cigar_Fiend, take a look at Spy Sweeper by webroot.com.

-Wolfy
Users browsing this topic