Liz62803
21 years ago
I went for my 16th week appt yesterday - had a very awesome good and a bit of bad - so I'll give out the bad first and keep the good for last 🙂 I took a glucola test to check for gestational diabetes - the cut off for being ok is 140, mine was 163. I go back for a 3 hr test on Monday to see how that turns out. The doctor said sometime people test high on the first one and the second one is normal, if it comes out high again I have to go on a special diet and get exercise to keep the sugar level down. Also, Clive and I had been wrestling with whether we wanted to get the test done for downs syndrome - I need it cuz of being over 35 (only by 1 yr!) because there are risks with amniocinteses (sp) but the doctor told me that there is now a special ultrasound that can be done to tell so that was a relief and I'm getting that done in a couple of weeks and when I get that done they can tell what I'll be having 🙂

Now for the good news....I got to hear the baby's heartbeat!!!!!!! What a most awesome sound 🙂 One I will never forget. At the first appt the dr couldn't hear it that's why I had an ultrasound and the nurse said the dr couldn't get a read on the heartbeat cuz the baby was moving around too much lol but this time she put the machine on me and got the heartbeat right away. She was like wow I got it on the first try 🙂 I just wanted to keep everyone updated like I promised. I'll do another mini update after the ultrasound appt 🙂
BLISTER
21 years ago
Liz,

At 36, your odds of having a baby with Down's is 200 to 1. If the level 2 ultrasound shows that the baby is healthy, and you plan on keeping the baby, you probably have no reason to get the amnio.

There is nothing cooler than hearing that SWOOSH SWOOSH of your baby's heartbeat.

Good luck with that gestational diabetes thingy.

Liz62803
21 years ago
Blister,

This ultrasound is instead of the amniocintisis thank goodness.

And I totally agree it was amazing and something I will never forget hearing the baby's heartbeat for the first time, just wish Clive could have been there (mutters something about the navy lol)

Thank you for your well wishes about the gestational diabetes, I'm just hoping the test is normal on monday.
bladerunner
21 years ago
Liz,
You can feel the excitement in your message and it is justified! Assuming this is your first?...no matter. Nothing more important will happen in your life (IMHO!). I can still remember that feeling at my daughter's ultra-sound and still have the "polaroid"! As far as the "bad" news, prayers sent. Congratulations!!!
Rog

p.s. my "baby" called tonite, she's coming home from college for mid-winter break. She will ALWAYS be my "little girl". :o)
hup4
21 years ago
Stop it you guys, I'm gettin all teary eyed!
Liz, my porayers are with you, good luck
and I'm sure everything will be fine!
Blade your right! Mine is gettin' married
in August...and she will always be my little
girl!
One more thing Liz. Always remember how you
felt when you heard that heartbeat cause you'll
need it for those teen years!! LOL
hup4
21 years ago
Ahhh by the way those are...PRAYERS!
Liz62803
21 years ago
thanks everyone, and yes Blade, it is my first and anybody that asks me finds that out real quick lol cuz I'll talk their heads off about it. 🙂 I go into this chat area online where you can have something like a tag line after your name and I've been having "I heard my baby's heartbeat" for mine 🙂 and thank you everyone for the thoughts and prayers they are greatly appreciated!
jessicas@cigarbid
21 years ago
Liz,

Glad to hear that everything is going well so far! My "baby" is 9 and I still have my ultrasound pics and will never forget the first time I heard his heart beat. It's amazing. Thanks for the update! Take care!
TJ@CigarBid
21 years ago
my best friend's wife is having a baby very shortly, and it is so amazing to hear the excitement in his voice when he speaks of his baby girl...he still will not give away the name...she is due the middle of february and is in her 36th week...she has this amazing glow to her

this is my first friend to experience this, and i am almost as excited as he is regarding the situation...

liz, i wish you the best of luck and hope everything goes amazingly well...
Users browsing this topic