JasonCT
12 years ago
Hi everyone,

Quick question on overruns and seconds. As someone of limited funds, and wanting to find good smokes at affordable prices, I've been curious about these types.

Anyone have experience with them?

Are they really as tasty (the same thing in the case of overruns) as their higher priced counterparts?

Recommendations?

Thanks!
~J
opelmanta1900
12 years ago
the real word for these cigars is "rejects" or "cbid gurkhas"... skip them... buy better cigars, smoke less often...
DrafterX
12 years ago
years ago I tried some perdomo and RP seconds... they were worth the money and had very few flaws.. has been many ago tho..... if that's your budget I'd give them a try... 😟
dlandri21
12 years ago
I picked up.a bundle of aj overruns.at the superstore last.saturday. They're oval robustos,.so I'm happy. Buy in person if you can do so.
SRH1
12 years ago
Perdomo ESV 91 2nds were as good as banded brethren. Great golf or yard gar, but
I haven't seen the around for a couple years. Most of the seconds/overruns have issues tho. I like the suggestion to buy in person and better yet, sample before buying.

Buyer beware!
DrafterX
12 years ago
I remember there was always a run on some seconds from another site... they were numbered lots that would be available every couple months or so... 🤔 too many beers ago to remember.. 🤔
dstieger
12 years ago
Back in my super-cheap days, I tried a number of seconds. Most were nearly indistinguishable from 'firsts'. Mostly I had a problem with CI and others playing games and making you try to guess what the 'firsts' were before you buy the seconds. When all was said and done, the only seconds that stand out in my crappy memory are the RP Edge Corojo's (X-Out Liga A, I think) and the RP Factory Second Edge Corojo Lanceros at a more famous place - I just cracked a bundle that's been buried in the cooler for years and they are pretty damn good right now.
kombat96
12 years ago
There 2nds for a reason, not just quality contro
? Ur going to get a good smoke then ull get one plugged, 50\50
ZRX1200
12 years ago
MOW 2nds are good.
JasonCT
12 years ago
Thanks for the replies guys....I can appreciate the "smoke less but better" way of thinking, however I'd like my smoking to be more "smoke better, and supplement with decent, passable, budget friendly smokes"

DrafterX
12 years ago
I don't think a seriously flawed cigar would make the seconds pile either.. I think most are overruns or just slight cosmetic issues... 😟
riversmw
12 years ago
Seconds are pretty good on a budget in my opinion. I also recommend keeping an eye on the auctions. I have gotten some pretty good deals on there also. Just make sure you know what your bidding on because people tend to overbid. Also the brown bag sampler is a good value.
euodias
12 years ago
My experience has been that the price difference between firsts and 2nds on auction has been so small that you're better off just waiting for a good deal to slip through the cracks. $3 a stick for first rate construction vs. $2.50 for the 2nds isn't that much of a deal, especially if you end up having to toss a few. Look at the samplers on auction if you really want to get cheap cigars.
KingoftheCove
12 years ago

My experience has been that the price difference between firsts and 2nds on auction has been so small that you're better off just waiting for a good deal to slip through the cracks. $3 a stick for first rate construction vs. $2.50 for the 2nds isn't that much of a deal, especially if you end up having to toss a few. Look at the samplers on auction if you really want to get cheap cigars.

euodias wrote:


+1 - a place all noobs should start anyways - True Grit has always been a decent buy at 22 or 25 - solid smokes.
Smokes_Too_Much
12 years ago
I bought a bundle of Alec Bradley seconds, flavor was on par, but the burn definitely wasn't! I had to touch them up three or four times on average.

Still worth smoking when your on a budget!
aphex732
12 years ago
I've smoked a ton of Rocky Pater 1992 seconds, and I'v been really happy with them.
aphex732
12 years ago
The Alec Bradley ones don't seem to be quite as good - I haven't tried the X outs yet though.
Users browsing this topic