CelticBomber
12 years ago
Suppose you opened your humidor's every day and said to yourself I'll empty it, wipe it down and refill everything tomorrow. Now imagine you blew doing all that for about a month and the sticks sat in the boxes at about 55 humidity for 3 weeks or so and are a bit dry. How high would you try to adjust the humidity to and how long would you let them sit before opening the boxes? I wanted to bomb a few people and this is why I haven't... didn't want to send dry sticks out. I'm going to have to setup one of my small 30 stick boxes and hit the local for something to smoke so that I don't have to open one of my big humidors. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.
HabanaHoe
12 years ago
Just spray them all down with distilled water!
They will absorb the moisture and be nice and spongy
illinichaser
12 years ago
My first reaction, is they probably aren't really all that dry, if they were at 55%. I would slowly raise the humidity till you get up to about 65%(by slowly a couple percent at a time over 2-3 weeks). If you bring the humidity up slowly, once you've established an equilibrium of the 65% (stops fluctuating for a couple of days) you should be good to go.


I also would try smoking one as they are and see how they taste, but that's just me.
reckless
12 years ago

My first reaction, is they probably aren't really all that dry, if they were at 55%. I would slowly raise the humidity till you get up to about 65%(by slowly a couple percent at a time over 2-3 weeks). If you bring the humidity up slowly, once you've established an equilibrium of the 65% (stops fluctuating for a couple of days) you should be good to go.


I also would try smoking one as they are and see how they taste, but that's just me.

illinichaser wrote:


Slow and steady ^^
opelmanta1900
12 years ago
doesn't seem like 55 to 65 is a huge jump... you could probably just throw 65% beads in your humidors, keep em closed for a week, and you'll be good to go... I doubt a 10% increase in moisture will damage the cigars...
illinichaser
12 years ago

doesn't seem like 55 to 65 is a huge jump... you could probably just throw 65% beads in your humidors, keep em closed for a week, and you'll be good to go... I doubt a 10% increase in moisture will damage the cigars...

opelmanta1900 wrote:




My first thought was really 55%, wtf, just smoke them bassurds. Then I decided some are much more conservative than I when it comes to their cigars, and thought I would give a more conservative approach.
stinger88
12 years ago

doesn't seem like 55 to 65 is a huge jump... you could probably just throw 65% beads in your humidors, keep em closed for a week, and you'll be good to go... I doubt a 10% increase in moisture will damage the cigars...

opelmanta1900 wrote:



This is what I was thinking too.
opelmanta1900
12 years ago
i think dpnewell used to keep some of his cigars around that mark, maybe a tad higher... I know there are some guys here who prefer 60...

but I guess if he's getting ready to ship them to me, I prefer he get the rh spot on first... I am a bit picky about the free cigars other people send me...
CelticBomber
12 years ago

i think dpnewell used to keep some of his cigars around that mark, maybe a tad higher... I know there are some guys here who prefer 60...

but I guess if he's getting ready to ship them to me, I prefer he get the rh spot on first... I am a bit picky about the free cigars other people send me...

opelmanta1900 wrote:



Heh you should be careful about what you wish for. I can get a package to Kingsburg, CA. fairly easy;-)
illinichaser
12 years ago

Heh you should be careful about what you wish for. I can get a package to Kingsburg, CA. fairly easy;-)

CelticBomber wrote:




All talk. I dare you to send a package to Kingsburg [ram27bat] [ram27bat]



While you are at it, I bet you can't smack him with no pipe baccy either[whip]
























hehe

everybody hit Joel. . . 🍺
delta1
12 years ago
KY Jelly is wonderful. They have a new flavor: INTENSE!
opelmanta1900
12 years ago
terrible... just terrible...

cb - you gurkha bombed me once back when I first started smoking, and that was more than enough...

jeremy - I'm sending you all of my pipe tobacco...
knokmdwn
12 years ago
55% is no big deal. Just refill everything as normal and they will come up to 60-65 without any issues. Let them sit for 3 weeks or so. If you smoked one now, I bet you'd be pretty surprised as to how good they are.

At certain times of the year, I let mine go down to the 58-60 range purposely. They smoke fine and are not so dry that there is anything to "recover" from. They are a little easier to keep lit when it's raining outside in the winter.
05busa
12 years ago
wallyguitar
12 years ago
They probably wouldn't be as dry if you had just kept the cello on.
ZRX1200
12 years ago
Mines at 58 right now.
cacman
12 years ago
Would agree with Illinichaser & knok.
If they sat in the boxes at about 55 humidity for 3 weeks or so, give them a about 3 weeks to come up to desired rH, especially for those that have delicate wrappers.
Mine fluctuates between 58-62 rH
Users browsing this topic