bs_kwaj
  • bs_kwaj
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
12 years ago
. . . beads, when they are in a mesh bag?

:-k

I'm going with a suggestion from knokmdwn and removing the big green chunk of stuff from my Hydra LG and replacing it with beads. I just happen to have a 1/2 pound bag of 65% beads and a mesh bag to put them in.

I'll lay the bag-o-beads in the Hydra housing and then I suppose I will just pour some distilled water on them right there... no, I don't have any sort of syringe.

😟

bs_kwaj
  • bs_kwaj
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
12 years ago
OK, just gave it a whirl. Basically had to open up the end of the bag and pour the distilled water in that way. Just pouring it on the outside of the bag was not a very absorbtive procedure. 🤐

Well, it's my first encounter with the mesh bag approach.

tyyler82
12 years ago
Let them sit by a bowl of distilled water...or get a mister.
tyyler82
12 years ago
I think that they can crack if you just pour water on them.
JKilburn
12 years ago
You don't want all of the beads wet because they can absorb as well. If they were all wet and your humidity was to high they couldn't absorb any of it.
KingoftheCove
12 years ago

Let them sit by a bowl of distilled water...or get a mister.

tyyler82 wrote:


^^ this
bs_kwaj
  • bs_kwaj
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
12 years ago
Well, I have a couple of small bowls of beads in the upper shelves and I always just pour the distilled water right on 'em. Haven't had a problem yet.

The beads I'm using in the Hydra are brand new beads. The plastic bag they came in says, "When _____ Beads are shipped they are not fully hydrated. You will need to add distilled water to the beads before using them. Add 25 ml (about 1 fluid ounce) of distilled water for each pound ... When adding additional distilled water at a later time add only enough distilled water to make 60 - 70% of the ______ Beads turn clear."

Anyway, my question was just about getting the beads wet while in the bag and I reckon I now have a plan.
TheSmokensip
12 years ago
I use boveda cause i'm lazy but in one older humi i have beads. I put them in a stocking. Get a Spray bottle. I Mist 3/4 of them till moist but I don't soak them. I also leave about 1/4 or less of the beads in the stocking completely dry..
This seems to work well for me.
PorknBeans
12 years ago
bs_kwaj
  • bs_kwaj
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
12 years ago

H2O works

PorknBeans wrote:



Genius input is always welcome. =d>
tonygraz
12 years ago

I think that they can crack if you just pour water on them.

tyyler82 wrote:



It does sound that way, as usually hear a crackling sound when watering them. That could be movement among the beads due to expansion tho.
TMCTLT
12 years ago

It does sound that way, as usually hear a crackling sound when watering them. That could be movement among the beads due to expansion tho.

tonygraz wrote:




Just the sound they make when " absorbing moisture " kinda like Rice crispies!!
Users browsing this topic