cigar searcher
12 years ago
Hellow fellow cigar lovers,

Im going nutz, because I cant figure out why my humidor will not hold at 75%. I have tried every thing from xikar crystals, drimistat crystal tubes and humi-care stick beads and currently using 75% boveda packs. I have a 150 cigar capacity humidor that is only one year old. I have (7) 75% boveda packs in it and still only registering 70%. Prior to this I had the xikar crystals humidifier and 4 humi-care stick tubes and 4 drimistat tubes some in the bottom and some in the top tray and got to 72%. My sticks were still feeling to dry for me, I like them on slightly spongy. When the are this dry they tend to crack and peel as its smoked. So I switched to the 75% boveda currently 7 in the humidor aND NOW READING 70%. Please advise, my sticks are not cheap. Thanks Rob[ram27bat]
Legacy
12 years ago

Hellow fellow cigar lovers,

Im going nutz, because I cant figure out why my humidor will not hold at 75%. I have tried every thing from xikar crystals, drimistat crystal tubes and humi-care stick beads and currently using 75% boveda packs. I have a 150 cigar capacity humidor that is only one year old. I have (7) 75% boveda packs in it and still only registering 70%. Prior to this I had the xikar crystals humidifier and 4 humi-care stick tubes and 4 drimistat tubes some in the bottom and some in the top tray and got to 72%. My sticks were still feeling to dry for me, I like them on slightly spongy. When the are this dry they tend to crack and peel as its smoked. So I switched to the 75% boveda currently 7 in the humidor aND NOW READING 70%. Please advise, my sticks are not cheap. Thanks Rob[ram27bat]

cigar searcher wrote:



Where do you live? Where do you keep the humidor? (heat source - including sunlight) near the box?

Could be seals.

Why at 75%?? PM me if you are determined to keep them at 75%


DD1700
12 years ago
Why do you want to hold 75???62 to 65 is ideal. At 75 your cigars are going to be to moist IMHO. You will have burn issues and wrappers blowing up.just my 2 cents.
jeferris
12 years ago
Hygrometer calibrated? 75 way too high for me...
cigar searcher
12 years ago
Well, when it was at 69 or 70% the cigars were hard and cracked as it was smoked. It seemed to me that the more moist they were the less blow ups I got
Porksoda
12 years ago
Just my 2 cents, but it sounds like a hygrometer issue, Either out of cal or defective. How old is the battery? I would salt cal again.
denali7432
12 years ago
damn bro you got so many humidification items in the humidor do you even have room for cigars..lol agree 75 is too damn high..i was at 70 myself and i was at times having burn issues with cigars going out and while i would be smoking the wrappers would split..i just ordered 65% beads..again like some asked where do you live that may help..but would look into going under 70
Legacy
12 years ago

Well, when it was at 69 or 70% the cigars were hard and cracked as it was smoked. It seemed to me that the more moist they were the less blow ups I got

cigar searcher wrote:



Something's clearly wrong with this picture. PM me if you want help.




dharbolt
12 years ago
Wow. Just wow. Can you even get them to catch fire @75% Great environment for mold.

](*,)
opelmanta1900
12 years ago
this should be easy to do right out in the open... no pm's necessary...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+calibrate+a+hygrometer 

Step 2: Stop trying to keep your cigars humidified at 75%. 65%-70% is just fine for the rest of the cigar smoking world, it will work for you too.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cigar+humidification+heartfeltindustries . Go to the first link after the ads. Use their online calculator to determine how much you need.

Step 4: Stop opening your humidor so much.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+make+a+coolidor 
opelmanta1900
12 years ago



PM me if you are determined to keep them at 75%


Legacy wrote:



you have some secret you don't want the rest of us knowing about?
SRH1
12 years ago
75% is perfect................





























If you like moldy cigars.
SRH1
12 years ago

Well, when it was at 69 or 70% the cigars were hard and cracked as it was smoked. It seemed to me that the more moist they were the less blow ups I got

cigar searcher wrote:


Are your cigars Gurkhas?
Legacy
12 years ago

you have some secret you don't want the rest of us knowing about?

opelmanta1900 wrote:



This should be easy to do right out in the open... no pm's necessary...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+calibrate+a+hygrometer 

Step 2: Stop trying to keep your cigars humidified at 75%. 65%-70% is just fine for the rest of the cigar smoking world, it will work for you too.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cigar+humidification+heartfeltindustries . Go to the first link after the ads. Use their online calculator to determine how much you need.

Step 4: Stop opening your humidor so much.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+make+a+coolidor 

opelmanta1900 wrote:


Hi opelmanta1900,

With respect, your advice doesn't address the problems that CigarSearcher has indicated that he's having. With all of the media that he is using and cigars that are still dry (his words) clearly the hygrometer isn't the issue.

When CigarSearcher PM'ed me, I gave him my number to call if he wanted to address the problem.

Pete

JadeRose
12 years ago

Hi opelmanta1900,

With respect, your advice doesn't address the problems that CigarSearcher has indicated that he's having. With all of the media that he is using and cigars that are still dry (his words) clearly the hygrometer isn't the issue.

When CigarSearcher PM'ed me, I gave him my number to call if he wanted to address the problem.

Pete

Legacy wrote:






Good lord.....it's tapout...he's returned!!!!









Legend










opelmanta1900
12 years ago

Hi opelmanta1900,

With respect, your advice doesn't address the problems that CigarSearcher has indicated that he's having. With all of the media that he is using and cigars that are still dry (his words) clearly the hygrometer isn't the issue.

When CigarSearcher PM'ed me, I gave him my number to call if he wanted to address the problem.

Pete

Legacy wrote:



no respect needed... if he salt tests his hygro and it's not out of whack, and his sticks really are dry no matter how much humidity he adds, he probably has a bad seal... but I'm glad you were able to give your digits out... with a little more practice maybe you can try it on a woman some day...
Palama
12 years ago



Step 4: Stop opening your humidor so much.

opelmanta1900 wrote:



Ha-ha! Joel, have your forgotten what it's like to be a newbie? Opening your humidor(s) and looking at your sticks is something (...I think...) all noobs do. Well, at least it was true for me. [frypan] Had to make sure they didn't escape or somehow evaporate. 🤦
Hillbillyjosh770
12 years ago
I'm guilty as charged.
They should make a Spanish cedar air freshener.
That chit is intoxicating.
I was still getting wonky burns at 70,
Finally broke down and got some 65 heartfelts, with the big tube.
Real quick recovery for my prying eyes.
I have gotten better now that I trust the humidity.
Hadn't opened it since yesterday morning to pull out a stick.

I'm gonna invent a Spanish cedar air freshener. Wasn't someone saying they found the oil or something?
T Z
  • T Z
  • Herf-A-Holic
12 years ago
You need to spray your cigars with aquanet. this will keep the moisture in.
itsawaldo
12 years ago

You need to spray your cigars with aquanet. this will keep the moisture in.

T Z wrote:



I heard that works!

Also helps in lighting and burn, any weather condition those babies will fire up with gusto.
Users browsing this topic