Hillbillyjosh770
12 years ago

Now that I have your attention

I have been doing a some research and was wondering if any of you have had any success, or have tried growing their own tobacco.

Because it sounds to me that you can generate your own quality soil as long as it is high in iron and sand.
if you were to set up an indoor hydroponic station you could grow it longer possibly even stronger correct?
DD1700
12 years ago
Slow down hillbilly. You must have taken extra meds!!! LOL!!!
dharbolt
12 years ago
Sure you could grow it no problem. Curing/fermentation would be your biggest challenge
marc palanzo
12 years ago
Probably not very cost effective to grow your own.
deadeyedick
12 years ago

Probably not very cost effective to grow your own.

marc palanzo wrote:



Thats what I was thinking the other night while eating a home grown tomato that I estimate cost about $14/lb.

DED
TMCTLT
12 years ago

Thats what I was thinking the other night while eating a home grown tomato that I estimate cost about $14/lb.

DED

deadeyedick wrote:




Why so much Rick? We grow our own and I don't believe they cost near that....AND they're actually red and juicy, unlike the greenhouse/ hothouse varieties....And ours are free of pesticides etc. thanks but I'll keep growing my own....nuttin like them. Tobacco.."that's another completely different animal IMHO....and yes Numi has grown his own Baccy 🌫
Philly Jack
12 years ago
Search the site it's been done before but outside not hydro
Hillbillyjosh770
12 years ago
I'm thinking hydro, high strength, quality, cost.
Market the chit out of them.
Strongest cigar on the market. guaranteed to be in every cigar snobs humidor across the planet.
ZRX1200
12 years ago
Drafter and Numi both have grown their own. Another BOTL here grew AND rolled his own (don't remember his handle ) ge did a review and said it was terrible.
Abrignac
12 years ago

I'm thinking hydro, high strength, quality, cost.
Market the chit out of them.
Strongest cigar on the market. guaranteed to be in every cigar snobs humidor across the planet.

Hillbillyjosh770 wrote:




http://forum.growkind.com/showthread.php?t=30771#.Uzbh3IXDXWU 

As good a place as any to get started.
KingoftheCove
12 years ago

Sure you could grow it no problem. Curing/fermentation would be your biggest challenge

dharbolt wrote:


^^this

growing tomatos is one thing....easy
growing weed is another....pretty easy
growing tobacco that can be rolled into good cigars?.......not so easy
Numismaniac
12 years ago

Sure you could grow it no problem. Curing/fermentation would be your biggest challenge

dharbolt wrote:





Just one of 'em. You will have to grow enough to make a decent sized "pilone" just to get the fermentation right. AND then re-stack it every time the temp hits a certain degree.

It can/is/has been grown hydroponically for years, there are even special preferred nutrients, but that is amost entirely for air/flue cure to either use for cigarette rolling or sacred use, and tends to be the Burley or older types, not Connecticut.


I've grown both types, there are old pics on here, I will hunt and top a few.


It can be a fun project, but don't expect to get any quality for cigars from the soil in our area. Stick to cotton, hehe.

The only commercially grown baccy in TN is dark fired, Burley typically for chewing, pipe, and snuff, but it's also part of the KFC's that are out now, although it was grown just across the TN line in West KY. There are MANY fields just SE of Ft. Campbell, we should send Gae9 over late this fall to try and talk them out of some, hehe.

I think there is still a stalk or two in my shed.
erjaq
12 years ago
Nobody else is thinking about The Simpsons' tomacco episode?

Hillbillyjosh770
12 years ago

Just one of 'em. You will have to grow enough to make a decent sized "pilone" just to get the fermentation right. AND then re-stack it every time the temp hits a certain degree.

It can/is/has been grown hydroponically for years, there are even special preferred nutrients, but that is amost entirely for air/flue cure to either use for cigarette rolling or sacred use, and tends to be the Burley or older types, not Connecticut.


I've grown both types, there are old pics on here, I will hunt and top a few.


It can be a fun project, but don't expect to get any quality for cigars from the soil in our area. Stick to cotton, hehe.

The only commercially grown baccy in TN is dark fired, Burley typically for chewing, pipe, and snuff, but it's also part of the KFC's that are out now, although it was grown just across the TN line in West KY. There are MANY fields just SE of Ft. Campbell, we should send Gae9 over late this fall to try and talk them out of some, hehe.

I think there is still a stalk or two in my shed.

Numismaniac wrote:



That's freakin awesome.
Thanks for all the info brothers.
tonygraz
12 years ago
They grow tobacco about 40 miles from me. I made an attempt to grow it and got nothing. There are diseases, Tobacco hornworms and all kinds of problem possible. Then you have to age and ferment it and after that roll your own. A lot of work for something you can buy fairly inexpensively from professionals.
robertsccr5
12 years ago
Let's say you grow your tobacco and prepare it properly and its ready to be rolled...what then?

Roll a puro? same filler, binder, wrapper?
BlueDude
12 years ago
Go for it HillyBill ! ! !

Don't let anyone talk you out of it.
You won't know for sure unless you try.

Keep us posted, it sounds like an interesting summer project.
spectresquad
12 years ago
There is a reason what you are smoking comes from the Caribbean or Nicaragua. The Soil. Soil is like spices, wrong spice and food taste like crap, wrong soil, cigars taste lie you went to a place with auctions...HAHAHAHA! 🤣

if I were going to try and grow cigars in America, I would find a friend in those Caribbean countries and have them send me a few pounds of their soil to put in a pot and grow the tobacco in. You would have a better chance of getting a decent flavor. Then you would need seeds from the right kind of Tobacco. i use to have a plantation in Costa Rica. Genetics of tobacco is as important as breeding dogs. You can get the seeds some times from sources on the net, or from underground sources 🤫 Hmm where did i leave that dealer at...

Climate come in a distant third because you can control that in a greenhouse.

illinichaser
12 years ago
If you are wanting to grow your own to make a better/stronger cigar, you are probably on the wrong path. . .

However with that said, there is something to be said about developing a new hobby, learning about a craft, and taking the time and care to cultivate. From that stand point, growing your own, and trying to roll your own cigars would help develop a new appreciation.


I say go for it.
Hillbillyjosh770
12 years ago
I'm more interested in marketing

INDO PAIN

The Strongest Cigar In The World


Sounds like something Snoop Diddy, or Kanye East would smoke
Users browsing this topic