midmofan
12 years ago
Went ahead and clicked on the FDA link on the front page. Easy to send a canned letter to your Senators and Rep. Also easy to personalize the letter as well which is a good idea if you know the person. Good to know my rep is on the side of truth, justice and the American Way!

Dear Mr. Otto:
Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R.792, the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act of2013. I appreciate your views on this important legislation and welcome the opportunity to respond.

As you know, H.R.792, introduced by Rep. Bill Posey (R-FL), would exempt traditional large and premium cigars from regulation and from user fees assessed by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). In 2009, Congress gave FDA the power to further regulate the production and marketing of tobacco with the passage of the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, legislation which I opposed. Since then, FDA has concentrated mostly on regulating cigarette marketing and production, but now plans to regulate cigars. I oppose increasing burdensome regulations on our nation's businesses, especially in this tough economic climate. That is why I cosponsored similar versions of this legislation in the last two Congresses.

H.R.792 has been referred to the Subcommittee on Health within the House Energy and Commerce Committee. Although I do not serve on this particular committee, please be assured that I will closely examine this legislation and continue to monitor this bill's status. Also, please know that I plan on voting in favor of this legislation should it come to the House floor.

http://luetkemeyer.house.gov/e-newsletter1  to receive all of the up-to-date information on important issues.
Sincerely,

Blaine Luetkemeyer
United States Representative
danmdevries
12 years ago
My rep more or less told me "smoking is bad mkay"
TrishS@CigarBid
12 years ago

My rep more or less told me "smoking is bad mkay"

danmdevries wrote:



even if he does, keep bombing him with letters. If enough of his constituents let him know they're unhappy, he may become concerned that his gravy train's wheels are falling off.
dlandri21
12 years ago
Any new information on this?. I just.commented on the fda site
TrishS@CigarBid
12 years ago

Any new information on this?. I just.commented on the fda site

dlandri21 wrote:



They are still within the 75 day time period to accept comments. There's a lot of activity within the cigar community, working to get as many comments about the potential legislation as possible. As I've been told, they can't act upon any legislation while there are comments and questions unanswered from their website.

We are putting together an email to send out to everyone on our email list with updated information and the URL. That way everyone can find out more, along with making comments. I'm sure there will be some new legislation. If we all pull together, we can (hopefully) limit it to something we can live with.
DrafterX
12 years ago
Is Mattie's wife behind all this..?? 😕
Users browsing this topic