pfk985
  • pfk985
  • Enthusiast Topic Starter
12 years ago
Where do you get beads and how much do you put in cooler and humidors ? Do you put them in some kind of container?
opelmanta1900
12 years ago

Where do you get beads and how much do you put in cooler and humidors ? Do you put them in some kind of container?

pfk985 wrote:



I don't think anyone here uses beads...
cacman
12 years ago

I don't think anyone here uses beads...

opelmanta1900 wrote:


LMAO!! Kitty litter & green foam all the way!

pfk985 - Most cigar retailers sell a variety of brand name beads or crystal humidification. The HF site offers a calculator to determine how much beads you need for your space. Some folks put the beads in stockings, or they can be stored in a glass or plastic containers. I use plastic sandwich containers which hold a pound of beads nicely and offers a lot of bead exposure. Good luck.
KingoftheCove
12 years ago

LMAO!! Kitty litter & green foam all the way!

cacman wrote:


yep.......
and us pros take bigger pieces on KL and shove it inside the foam bars for the ultimate in cigar humidification....

cacman
12 years ago

yep.......
and us pros take bigger pieces on KL and shove it inside the foam bars for the ultimate in cigar humidification....

KingoftheCove wrote:


You get what you pay for!
KingoftheCove
12 years ago

You get what you pay for!

cacman wrote:


I guess........
But explain this to me:

If KL is only one way humidification, how is it that I can take a rather low RH (54rh), empty 100ct humi, and then insert a sushi tray of KL that I spritzed just a bit with distilled water, and 48 hours later, the humi is at 68/69rh, and will stay there.


cacman
12 years ago

I guess........
But explain this to me:

If KL is only one way humidification, how is it that I can take a rather low RH (54rh), empty 100ct humi, and then insert a sushi tray of KL that I spritzed just a bit with distilled water, and 48 hours later, the humi is at 68/69rh, and will stay there.

KingoftheCove wrote:


What's the relative humidity & temperature of the room this 100ct Humi is being stored in? Does sunlight enter the room throughout the day and raise the temp & humidity? That ambient environment will directly effect the humi being stored in that room. In general my research has led to to the understanding that you will need to use more KL for the same space compared to beads. So you're giving-up more valuable cigar storage just to use KL???

My elevation does not offer very much humidity (or O2 for that matter), so keeping a 65% humidity where less than 20% is available by the native environment is a problem. I keep my cigars in my garage/office/man cave that stays cool throughout the year, and maintains a fairly consistent temp throughout the year (around 65-68°) regardless of the sun or heat outside. The LAST thing I want to use is a product engineered to absorb more moisture.
cacman
12 years ago

I love the kitty litter argument. Just because it is litter doesn't mean it was used as litter and then put in your humi. Secondly for all those that say it doesn't work the same it pretty much does except you have to train it in the beginning if you want lower the 70% rh. Its $20 for 8lbs of litter and HFB would be in the neghborhood of $240 so if you like lighting $100 bills on fire be my guest but I like my money more then that. Why else would I shop for the best deals I can find before I buy my cigars. Oh roasterdudes beads were pretty cheap and good but those are not available at the moment.

shaun341 wrote:


The bigger question is how much is the value of your cigar collection?

If the average 50qt coolidor (24"x12"x14" @ 4320 cu inches) only requires 8oz of beads (or 1/2 pound) but can easily hold 8-10 boxes of cigars (say 250 cigars), then I'd guess that a collection requiring 8lbs of litter would consist of over 4,000 cigars (1lb of beads for 500 cigars). Round down to 3,000 cigars at an average value of $4 each equals at least a $12,000 investment.

So for a potentially $12,000 investment you are not willing to invest less than 2% (or $240) to protect that investment over the long term and would rather use KL?

Phfffft!!!! If all you're storing is Acids than have at it!

Oh, the beads RoasterDude offered at a discount are available to the general public. You just need to do the research and not take the cheap way out at the Pet Dept at WalMart!
shaun341
12 years ago
For starters 8lbs is not needed for my collection but if you don't mind saving the money then thats on you don't try and act like its a product that does not work cause you are wrong and thats fact. I have used all of these different ways for humidification and they have all worked some just require more attention then others. You have just read about it and take peoples word for it.

If by your words you get what you pay for then I guess you only smoke Opus, LE, and HTF cigars cause everything else is to cheap to be good lol.
sd72
12 years ago
You're both overthinking it. Just wet a brand new sponge and toss it in the humi. On a Tupperware lid or bowl or something. Sponge dries out, re-wet it
cacman
12 years ago

For starters 8lbs is not needed for my collection but if you don't mind saving the money then thats on you don't try and act like its a product that does not work cause you are wrong and thats fact. I have used all of these different ways for humidification and they have all worked some just require more attention then others. You have just read about it and take peoples word for it.

If by your words you get what you pay for then I guess you only smoke Opus, LE, and HTF cigars cause everything else is to cheap to be good lol.

shaun341 wrote:


Until I see the B&M's or places like Casa Fuente using kitty litter in their humi's, the only excuse for using KL is to be a cheapskate. Period. If I saw kitty litter being used in a B&M's walk-in humi, I would leave immediately. Take my word for it.
If all you are buying is cheap cigars like backwoods, swisher sweets and acids, then cheap-up how you store them all you want with kitty litter. I started on cheap cigars, and they only emphasize the point "You get what you pay for". I don't buy or smoke cheap cigars anymore. Same as I don't buy generic or store-brand food.

Just because it may "work", is no excuse for not using the proper tool. A canvas car-port may "work" for protecting you car from the weather, but I wouldn't store a Shelby GT500 under one. My cat defecates on KL. There is no way I'm putting the same stuff my cat defecates on in my humidor with the cigars I smoke just to save a couple bucks. If it comes to that I'll quit smoking cigars.

Just say NO to using kitty litter for cigars!

illinichaser
12 years ago
ahh chit, where have I been???

I missed a kitty litter/beads arguement??? WTH???




Ok, carry on. . .
illinichaser
12 years ago

people spend all their time and money on the hobby and indulgence of collecting, aging, and smoking premium hand made cigars, and then they want to skimp on beads...

penny-wise and dollar foolish my friends...

if you want to save a little money - smoke less, buy less, do less of something - but don't put what is made to absorb cat urine into your expensive cigar collection...

opelmanta1900 wrote:




ehh tu brutus????
illinichaser
12 years ago


KITTY LITTER SUCKS!!!

It is engineered to absorb moisture and odor! PERIOD!
It is not engineered to offer 2-way humidification control like HF beads are, or the silica beads Roaster Dude offer.
I freakin hate that people recommend and use this sh|t to store their cigars! And why I don't trade.
Don't be a tightwad penny-pinching cheapskate! You don't see your local B&M using KL in their humidor!
🐴

Saving a few bucks to buy a cooler vs a humi is NOT a fair comparison.
Both are boxes that will hold humidity, and a cooler can be lined with cedar.

cacman wrote:




I still have yet to see a single piece of scientific evidence that this is a true statement.

Both are exactly the same chemical compound. The only difference is the crystaline structure when they beads/crystals are grown.

Due to surface area considerations, the rate at which they absorb/desorb may differ, but the ability(notice I did not say capability or capacity) does not change.


I don't know why you get so emotional on this. You are free to make your choice, and have some valid points about why to make that choice. It doesn't mean everyone that disagrees with you are idiots, or have inferior cigars coming out of their humi.

Everyone here knows I use kitty litter by now. I never have any issues with the way my cigars smoke. As a matter of fact, if I do get an inferior cigar that requires frequent relights, or touch ups, I get mad and toss the thing in the yard, and go find something that I can enjoy smoking.
TMCTLT
12 years ago

Until I see the B&M's or places like Casa Fuente using kitty litter in their humi's, the only excuse for using KL is to be a cheapskate. Period. If I saw kitty litter being used in a B&M's walk-in humi, I would leave immediately. Take my word for it.
If all you are buying is cheap cigars like backwoods, swisher sweets and acids, then cheap-up how you store them all you want with kitty litter. I started on cheap cigars, and they only emphasize the point "You get what you pay for". I don't buy or smoke cheap cigars anymore. Same as I don't buy generic or store-brand food.

Just because it may "work", is no excuse for not using the proper tool. A canvas car-port may "work" for protecting you car from the weather, but I wouldn't store a Shelby GT500 under one. My cat defecates on KL. There is no way I'm putting the same stuff my cat defecates on in my humidor with the cigars I smoke just to save a couple bucks. If it comes to that I'll quit smoking cigars.

Just say NO to using kitty litter for cigars!

cacman wrote:





Try filling your cats litter box with HF beads and let us know if it **** there.....cause I'm betting it would :)

And it looks like WE won't be trading based on your " high standards "
nolen
12 years ago

You're both overthinking it. Just wet a brand new sponge and toss it in the humi. On a Tupperware lid or bowl or something. Sponge dries out, re-wet it

sd72 wrote:


That's what we did in the early '90's, lol. We just cut a small hunk off of a new sponge and dropped it into a Dixie cup w some distilled water. Then you placed dixie cup and all into your humi. When the water dried up, you added more. I don't even remember any hygrometers at that time either... we wouldn't have known how to use them anyway!

Then they came out with these soap-stone thingies that were encased in an aluminium dial about the size of a quarter. You dropped it in a glass of distilled water for a few minutes, then wiped it off and put it in your humi.
DrafterX
12 years ago
lettuce..... 👍
tonygraz
12 years ago

...Then they came out with these soap-stone thingies that were encased in an aluminium dial about the size of a quarter. You dropped it in a glass of distilled water for a few minutes, then wiped it off and put it in your humi.

nolen wrote:



I still use one of those along with an old clay humidifier. Of course I also have beads in the same humidor. Just can't seem to throw old things out - tho I did throw out a 9 inch unused windshield wiper blade last year.
opelmanta1900
12 years ago

ehh tu brutus????

illinichaser wrote:



ya, me too... I'm not angry about it though...

I'm pretty sure Carl works for HF and Shaun must certainly own a butt load of stock in a kitty litter manufacturer...

I'm just not into using something that isn't the proper tool for the job, and for me, kitty litter falls into that category...

If my collection was larger I would probably look for a cheaper alternative, and may even consider kitty litter (that's probably a lie), but for now I have one humidor going and the beads are the easiest and most trustworthy in my opinion...

that being said, I've smoked some of your cigars and they only had a slight odor of cat musk, so I think you're doing ok...

in sincerity the only humidification method I have had bad experiences with is propylene glycol...
nolen
12 years ago

I still use one of those along with an old clay humidifier. Of course I also have beads in the same humidor. Just can't seem to throw old things out - tho I did throw out a 9 inch unused windshield wiper blade last year.

tonygraz wrote:


What was the clay humidifier like Tony?
Users browsing this topic