Hank_The_Tank
9 years ago
Hey guys/gals, wanted to get some thoughts on some new brands of Scotch to try.

The only one that I have really liked is Dalmore Single Malt 12 Year, however, it is too expensive for me to keep loading up on it. I can't justify $75 a bottle.

Do you have any suggestions for something less expensive that will be comparable in taste? Not sure how much I want to spend, but definitely less than the Dalmore.

I am looking for something that is super smooth that doesn't taste like rubbing alcohol. I had one once that was extremely smokey and tasted like bacon, it wasn't bad, but nothing like Dalmore. Can't remember for the life of me what it was.
ZRX1200
9 years ago
If you want lighter, Glenmorangie is your scotch....pretty reasonable $ too....

Dalmore is expensive.

Some of my favs:
Glenlevit Nadurra Oloroso cask aged
Abelour A'bunda (spelling...)
Glenfarclas
Macallan
Burner02
9 years ago
One you may want to try that will not break the bank is Singleton 12 single malt. A sub $40 bottle and one that I would recommend for beginning scotch drinkers.

I did see an add today indicating Singleton is now available in 15 and 18 year old. Will be interesting to see the price points on these as well as a few reviews.
Hank_The_Tank
9 years ago
Found out that the one that tasted like rubbing alcohol was Caoila and the smokey/bacon one was a Glenlivet...not sure which one though. The Caoila was terrible for me. The Glenlivet wasn't bad, but not great.
bgz
  • bgz
  • Herf-A-Holic
9 years ago
laphroaig 10 can be had at costco and total wine for $30.

Balvenie double wood for $40 to $50 (forget price)

z's recommendation of Aberlour A'Bunadh... IMO, one of the best scotches around... ($60 - $70 price point though, but totally worth it).
solly
9 years ago
I see no reason to ever drink scotch whiskey.
Hank_The_Tank
9 years ago
I also love craft beer, especially stouts and porters...but my buddy got me into scotch and I enjoyed it.
tailgater
9 years ago
Scotch is how I met ZRX.

I was at the bar, and in walks this hunk of masculinity.
I introduce myself and Z winks at me while getting the bartenders attention.
Z: Barkeep. Please get me 4 shots of your best Scotch Whisky.
Bartender: Sir, what is the occassion?
Z: I'm celebrating my first **** (oral sex, fellatio)!

So I raise my ice cold Shirley Temple in celebration, and I said to Z: That's great! Let me buy you your 5th shot of Scotch Whiskey!
To which ZRX replied:
No, thanks. If the first 4 don't get the taste out, then nothing will.



🇨🇮
teedubbya
9 years ago
Laphroigh is a non starter if you don't like peat (like coal isla and other smokey scotches.

I like dahlmore a lot and prefer highland sherry cask etc.

If you like dahlmore see if you can find dalwhinnie for any cheaper. Mccallan 12 can be had around here on sale for less than that as can all of the glenmorangies. I prefer lasanta but my dad loves Quinta ruban.

The arran is a good inexpensive choice too as is auchentashan three wood.
teedubbya
9 years ago
Laphroigh is a non starter if you don't like peat (like coal isla and other smokey scotches.

I like dahlmore a lot and prefer highland sherry cask etc.

If you like dahlmore see if you can find dalwhinnie for any cheaper. Mccallan 12 can be had around here on sale for less than that as can all of the glenmorangies. I prefer lasanta but my dad loves Quinta ruban.

The arran is a good inexpensive choice too as is auchentashan three wood.
bgz
  • bgz
  • Herf-A-Holic
9 years ago

Scotch is how I met ZRX.

I was at the bar, and in walks this hunk of masculinity.
I introduce myself and Z winks at me while getting the bartenders attention.
Z: Barkeep. Please get me 4 shots of your best Scotch Whisky.
Bartender: Sir, what is the occassion?
Z: I'm celebrating my first **** (oral sex, fellatio)!

So I raise my ice cold Shirley Temple in celebration, and I said to Z: That's great! Let me buy you your 5th shot of Scotch Whiskey!
To which ZRX replied:
No, thanks. If the first 4 don't get the taste out, then nothing will.



🇨🇮

tailgater wrote:




So from my understanding of this story, Shirley Temples work better than scotch for removing the **** taste from your mouth...

And the purpose of the 5th shot is to get the **** taste back in.

Mattie B
9 years ago
Disclaimer..... I work in the spirits industry.


I don't care for the Islay or peaty scotches. I'm a bourbon guy.

Thy these in order

Pig Nose ( my fav)
The Feathery
Sheep Dip (not Islay)
Tomatin 12 or 18. I like the 12 better personally.
frankj1
9 years ago
Hank
sounds like you prefer sherried over smokey/peaty scotches

consider
Balvenie Doublewood
Glenmorangie
and check out the "bump" MACS set up for you on another thread titled "scotch".
teedubbya
9 years ago
Glengone is something whistlebitches got me on
Hank_The_Tank
9 years ago
Ok, found out that the smokey bacon one was Lagavulin. It was very different and not bad but not something I would want all the time. The super strong alcohol (rubbing) taste one was Glenlevit 12. That is the one I wasn't a fan of. Not smooth at all.
Brewha
9 years ago
The go to bargin in single malts for me is McClelland's Lowland. It's a step up from a blended, and adequate.

Glenlevet and Mcallan's are the staples you fill find in many bars - for good reason.



Of cource this is all personal taste. Believe it or not I actually knew a guy would liked Cutty Sark.....
ZRX1200
9 years ago
For the $ it's hard to beat Famous Grouse
SmokeMonkey
9 years ago
Now that we've moved into the blended territory, I'll say I think Monkey Shoulder (no relation) is a steal if you like Balvenie or Glenfiddich.
teedubbya
9 years ago
Glen Grant isn't bad for a cheapo
Plowboy221
9 years ago
Just join the SMWSA and be done, all single cask some rare and closed demolished distilleries… nothing under 75 though

Chieftain's also great Scotch from some closed distilleries.

Yeah 100+ for a bottle seems ridiculous, but I've had bottles last me months years, of course I'm rarely home to enjoy though 🤔 Maybe that's why they last so long.
Users browsing this topic