Buckwheat
9 years ago
Saw him last night. Good show. Really great band. He can rip up a guitar. Didn't know many of the songs that he played but it really didn't make any difference. He played for 2 hours straight without taking a break.

For those that have seen him; what's your take?
deadeyedick
9 years ago
Only seen the PBS show a few years ago. He can play but he should not try to sing.
Buckwheat
9 years ago

Only seen the PBS show a few years ago. He can play but he should not try to sing.

deadeyedick wrote:



He wasn't too bad singing but he had two backup singers last night.
ZRX1200
9 years ago
A lot of his critics say he's a player without originality or soul. I think he's great, and he's really into music history. Too many are eager to be down on people.....I'd pay to see him.
jespear
9 years ago

A lot of his critics say he's a player without originality or soul. I think he's great, and he's really into music history. Too many are eager to be down on people.....I'd pay to see him.

ZRX1200 wrote:



A lot of his critics are clueless !
The man is one of the best guitarists out there . . . an opinion that is shared by many of my musician friends.

Let's hear from the resident experts here on CBid . . . ie, frankj1, palama, etc, etc.

jes
dstieger
9 years ago
Pretty good British blues-rock guitarist...who just happens to be American....escaped my notice for quite a few years (I thought Bonamassa was music festival in TN or WA, or something and never paid enough attention.) If his name was Eric Beckpage or something, I'd have probably sat up and listened sooner. I like him well enough, but he just doesn't grab me all to often...never really put my finger on it....no problem with his playing....maybe its his singing that sometimes leaves me less than 'inspired'....idk....good, maybe great, but not on my radar often enough
frankj1
9 years ago

A lot of his critics are clueless !
The man is one of the best guitarists out there . . . an opinion that is shared by many of my musician friends.

Let's hear from the resident experts here on CBid . . . ie, frankj1, palama, etc, etc.

jes

jespear wrote:


boy are you wrong about me! but that won't prevent me from posting an opinion, per usual.

I think he is excellent, I agree with ZRX about his sense of history as I especially like his take on A New Day Yesterday (Jethro Tull tune from one of the first two Tull albums, pretty much all I liked by them other than a handful of cuts later on).
Krazeehorse
9 years ago
That was Stevie Ray's keyboard player too wasn't it.
bs_kwaj
9 years ago
I like me some Jo Bo... but when I saw him at Fair Park in Dallas a few years ago, I didn't like the show a lot. Probably because I'm getting too old for that....🌫

The problem was that the light show was behind the band and it was kinda blinding out in the audience.

And it was REALLY LOUD.

Also, lots of fanboys there. They were whistling and screaming through the whole show. When Joe was doing something that got real quiet on the guitar... those knuckleheads were so loud you could barely hear the guitar. In one case like that Joe looked up and just stopped what he was doing and said... ok, that's it (you know, just on that one song).

Otherwise, I have a Joe Bonamassa channel on my Pandora. Also have the DVDs of his Royal Albert Hall concert. Love that.

🍺
DrMaddVibe
9 years ago

A lot of his critics say he's a player without originality or soul. I think he's great, and he's really into music history. Too many are eager to be down on people.....I'd pay to see him.

ZRX1200 wrote:



Seen him a few times. Never as the featured performer. I second what the critics say about him. Puts on a good show, but he's no SRV no matter how hard he tries.
Buckwheat
9 years ago

Seen him a few times. Never as the featured performer. I second what the critics say about him. Puts on a good show, but he's no SRV no matter how hard he tries.

DrMaddVibe wrote:



I've seen them both live and I don't think that Joe tries to be SRV. I don't think their styles are even close to being the same. Hell SRV tried really hard to be Jimi Hendrix and almost got there IMO. Jimi was a force of nature and SRV was just a really good technical player. 🌫
DrMaddVibe
9 years ago

I've seen them both live and I don't think that Joe tries to be SRV. I don't think their styles are even close to being the same. Hell SRV tried really hard to be Jimi Hendrix and almost got there IMO. Jimi was a force of nature and SRV was just a really good technical player. 🌫

Buckwheat wrote:




Each and every time I saw him he played 4-5 SRV tunes.

Granted he doesn't take a break, but the original material is rather slim to none with the band playing a slew of covers.
streetrod
9 years ago
Saw him at the Beacon in New York. Put on a real good show & was on the stage for 2+ hours. Love his stuff with Beth Heart!
Users browsing this topic