frankj1
9 years ago
no one worries about the cows. sad.

around here, all I remember from when I was a kid was being told we could go out after suppah cuz of the extended daylight.
coolbreeze68
9 years ago
I'm in the same spot as MACS, going hog hunting tomorrow and have to get up, like, an hour ago.
ddragggon
9 years ago

Clearly none of yall have ever farmed which is why we do the time change in the first place.

jjanecka wrote:


In fact, the inverse is true. β€œThe farmers were the reason we never had a peacetime daylight saving time until 1966,” Downing told National Geographic. β€œThey had a powerful lobby and were against it vociferously.” The lost hour of morning light meant they had to rush to get their crops to market. Dairy farmers were particularly flummoxed: Cows adjust to schedule shifts rather poorly, apparently.

Whistlebritches wrote:


Beaten to the real....

The idea was to conserve on artificial lighting by shifting the times people were awake, not by asking them to get up earlier, but instead by changing the clocks. When it was instituted, most electricity went to powering lights, with very few other devices that required power. As time progressed, and technology evolved, more and more devices started to depend on electricity. In these modern times where lighting is predominantly done with low wattage CFL's and LED bulbs, the energy savings from DST has diminished to less than a percentile. On the other hand, it is estimated by the New York Times that DST actually costs $434 million in lost productivity to the economy each year, from people being late to work, and messing up sleep cycles twice a year.

Arizona doesn't do DST. It is the only thing I miss about that hellish roasting pit of a state.
jespear
9 years ago

love it...may I quote you?

frankj1 wrote:



Sure you may, Frank . . . but not on THIS.
DrMaddVibe
9 years ago

Beaten to the real....

ddragggon wrote:



Lost me after that and it's okay. It's prolly filled with more whining.

You ever do anything besides whine?

😒 😒 😒 😒

Boo-Frickety-Hoo.
DrMaddVibe
9 years ago

We have two bills moving through the Texas House to eliminate DST.If it passes Hawaii and Arizona will have a new partner in common sense........at least on this issue.

Whistlebritches wrote:




It would be awesome to see the House...in DC...do something and get it right. This is one of those items.

The can also sit in their own districts and be approachable...we have this wonderful invention called Cisco TelePresence.
Hank_The_Tank
9 years ago
Whistlebritches
9 years ago

Yawn....

Hank_The_Tank wrote:



Noobs are not allowed to "yawn".........you are here to learn grasshoppa.
Hank_The_Tank
9 years ago

Noobs are not allowed to "yawn".........you are here to learn grasshoppa.

Whistlebritches wrote:



I wasn't yawning because of the conversation but rather I stayed up late smoking cigars and drinking scotch...by the time it was ready to hit the sack, I got to see the clock flip...3am seemed so much later than 2am....I was legit tired.
Mr. Jones
9 years ago
Ugggghhhhhh

Only good thing is light till 9pm in June.
ddragggon
9 years ago

Lost me after that and it's okay. It's prolly filled with more whining.

You ever do anything besides whine?

😒 😒 😒 😒

Boo-Frickety-Hoo.

DrMaddVibe wrote:


My own Personal troll? who claims I don't read anything, and post duplicate threads all willy nilly without checking for existing threads? yet couldn't be bothered to check if I actually created any threads?

pot.

kettle.

black.

<3

99cobra2881
9 years ago
I grew up on a cow/calf and cash crop farm in Kansas, darkness didn't much matter. The tractors and combines had good lights on them. Only thing that shut us down was rain or the dew if the wind quit blowing after dark.
Users browsing this topic