frankj1
  • frankj1
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
9 years ago
no, not the S.American singer Flora.

Book of Esther, being celebrated right now. Haman was the original Hitler, only in Persia.
He got what was coming to him.
One of my fave stories...from The Prequel.
gummy jones
9 years ago
Was just listening to a refresher radio program
DrMaddVibe
9 years ago
Don't know much about how to celebrate the day...but...


delta1
9 years ago
^ She, whose time is short, looks familiar...what other movies did she do...


...and ... does a Purim celebration really involve singing around a dinner table loaded with a fancy feast...
Palama
9 years ago

^ She, whose time is short, looks familiar...what other movies did she do...


...and ... does a Purim celebration really involve singing around a dinner table loaded with a fancy feast...

delta1 wrote:



Is this a food thread? I didn't eat breakfast yet...I'm hungry!
jjanecka
9 years ago
Hell yeah latkes and matzoball soup for everyone!
frankj1
  • frankj1
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
9 years ago
hamantaschen, that's the food most closely related to Purim.

It's a three cornered pastry filled with any of several sweet things, could be prune, apple, something we call "mun" or "mon" which is like poppy seeds in honey.

A couple of explanations of the name are Haman's hat (three cornered was the style of the day), or possibly Haman's ear, or even the triangle shaped flap on a man's pants pocket...most go with the hat theory.

Now I gotta check out DMV's link...
frankj1
  • frankj1
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
9 years ago
not bad.
In Temple, when the story is read, the congregation boos and uses those noise makers whenever Haman's name is said.
jespear
9 years ago

hamantaschen, that's the food most closely related to Purim.

It's a three cornered pastry filled with any of several sweet things, could be prune, apple, something we call "mun" or "mon" which is like poppy seeds in honey.

A couple of explanations of the name are Haman's hat (three cornered was the style of the day), or possibly Haman's ear, or even the triangle shaped flap on a man's pants pocket...most go with the hat theory.

Now I gotta check out DMV's link...

frankj1 wrote:



Is that Tennessee Ernie Ford ? 😱
fiddler898
9 years ago
Perhaps you were being prepared for such a time as this.



Nah.
frankj1
  • frankj1
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
9 years ago

Perhaps you were being prepared for such a time as this.



Nah.

fiddler898 wrote:


interesting editorial in today's Boston Globe Ideas section by Jacoby...the rise of anti-semitism world wide as the distance grows from The Holocaust...and he skewered both far right and far left while warning that the off limits signs that have been in place in the US for decades are crumbling, despite findings by the Pew Research Center in surveys that conclude Jews are "the most warmly regarded religious group in America", for the second time in three years.

At least 140 bomb threats on Jewish community centers and organizations in the USA...since January!

I dunno Alan, not sure anyone could be really prepared for times like this, especially after the wonderful way we have been allowed to flourish in this greatest of all nations.

I'll apologize to those who have grown tired of my bleating about this once or twice a year, but Purim, despite the joy it brings us and the carnivals attended by families at their Temples, always reminds me to Never Forget. That's the only way to be prepared, I suppose.
gummy jones
9 years ago
Never forgetting God is the best way to be prepared.
frankj1
  • frankj1
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
9 years ago

Never forgetting God is the best way to be prepared.

gummy jones wrote:


not disputing at all, despite the fact that many deeply devout innocent people have perished. The following generations (including mine) are here because no one has been able to make us forsake our religion...going back thousands of years.

Faith alone is not the preventive medicine.
Mattie B
9 years ago
So Fun Fact


The Book of Ester never mentions God.

gummy jones
9 years ago
I guess it depends on the end game
For eternity's sake faith seems to suffice

But yes, we are certainly charged with being Gods hands and feet on earth.

Many of us Christians regularly pray for Israel and the Jews.

I have a feeling that a large scale physical fight (on top of the spiritual one) isn't far off.
frankj1
  • frankj1
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
9 years ago

So Fun Fact


The Book of Ester never mentions God.

Mattie B wrote:


yet between the lines one must understand that the plan to extinguish ALL the Jews was based on their beliefs.
Mordecai was a great leader.
fiddler898
9 years ago
-^^ Which is why Luther wanted to eliminate it from the Bible.

And Frank, today I preached about the tragic disrespect and threats against both sons of Abraham: Isaac & Ishmael.
frankj1
  • frankj1
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
9 years ago

I guess it depends on the end game
For eternity's sake faith seems to suffice

But yes, we are certainly charged with being Gods hands and feet on earth.

Many of us Christians regularly pray for Israel and the Jews.

I have a feeling that a large scale physical fight (on top of the spiritual one) isn't far off.

gummy jones wrote:


I know you do, I know.
frankj1
  • frankj1
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
9 years ago

-^^ Which is why Luther wanted to eliminate it from the Bible.

And Frank, today I preached about the tragic disrespect and threats against both sons of Abraham: Isaac & Ishmael.

fiddler898 wrote:


I would have applauded, as you know.
jjanecka
9 years ago
Hamantaschen look like a familar style of Czech pastry and the connection with poppyseed even more so. Anything with poppyseed is pretty well good in my book.
Users browsing this topic