Burner02
9 years ago
Saw the first of the season this afternoon here in LA (Lower AL).
elRopo
9 years ago
Had a few here but not the huge numbers so far this spring. Some years we have hundreds show up all at once.
frankj1
9 years ago
if I'm lucky in the Spring, I get to see two hovering frantically around a miniature weeping cherry tree outside my kitchen window

do you guys set up those attracting feeder things for them?
DrafterX
9 years ago
Screw the hummingbirds.... 🤐
danmdevries
9 years ago

Screw the hummingbirds.... 🤐

DrafterX wrote:



😕
frankj1
9 years ago

Screw the hummingbirds.... 🤐

DrafterX wrote:


y'know, I could almost understand you screwing lots of things and stuff, but I gotta draw the line at itty bitty h-birds!
madspackler
9 years ago
Still waiting on our first sighting this year. We have two feeders in place. They attack it like helicopter pilots all summer
elRopo
9 years ago

if I'm lucky in the Spring, I get to see two hovering frantically around a miniature weeping cherry tree outside my kitchen window

do you guys set up those attracting feeder things for them?

frankj1 wrote:


Yeah, I have four 1 quart size feeders. I leave two out all winter and when they show up in the spring I put out the other two. Sometimes need to refill twice a day, I should buy Imperial Sugar stock.
delta1
9 years ago
in SoCal, hummingbirds flit about year round...have you heard the motorboat sound their flapping wings make...
frankj1
9 years ago

in SoCal, hummingbirds flit about year round...have you heard the motorboat sound their flapping wings make...

delta1 wrote:


I have not had the pleasure.
Might have to find them feeders.
elRopo
9 years ago
Sometimes when I'm refilling the feeders they'll be buzzing all around me, sounds more like a B - 29 than a motorboat. Their chirps are very high frequency but if there are enough of them its pretty loud.
Best thing about hummingbirds is there's no bird crap to clean up!
RMAN4443
9 years ago
My wife puts out a couple of the feeders, and my back deck is humming bird central all summer long......I like sitting out there after dinner with a coffee and cigar and hear them buzzing around on the way to and from the feeder.
We have an old dog run that runs across the back yard and sometimes there will be 8 or 10 of them sitting on the line resting. It's pretty cool how they take turns at the feeder......hovering and waiting and then diving in.
Frank, my wife has gotten those feeders at Ocean State Job Lots for 3 or 4 bucks, then she makes up a 50/50 mixture of sugar and water and there ya go
elRopo
9 years ago
3/4 cup of sugar to 1 quart of water is what you want. If you make it too sweet it will attract ants and wasps etc. Trust me I've been doing this for many years. If you put out the feeders they'll come and be back every year.
RMAN4443
9 years ago

3/4 cup of sugar to 1 quart of water is what you want. If you make it too sweet it will attract ants and wasps etc. Trust me I've been doing this for many years. If you put out the feeders they'll come and be back every year.

elRopo wrote:


Thanks, I'll let her know...........the way she does it does attract bees and wasps
elRopo
9 years ago
Didn't mean to sound like a know it all, sorry if I came across that way. I also enjoy sitting on the patio with a cigar while watching the hummers, they're mesmerizing.
tonygraz
9 years ago
Nothing like a hummer when smoking a good cigar.
RMAN4443
9 years ago

Didn't mean to sound like a know it all, sorry if I came across that way. I also enjoy sitting on the patio with a cigar while watching the hummers, they're mesmerizing.

elRopo wrote:





Not at all........and yes they are definitely some cheap entertainment
RMAN4443
9 years ago

Nothing like a hummer when smoking a good cigar.

tonygraz wrote:


True 😊
delta1
9 years ago
What lounges provide that service?
MACS
9 years ago
I heard Lowrance was better'n Humminbird. :-"
Users browsing this topic