JadeRose
9 years ago
Under rated guitar player. Name sake of a GREAT band
frankj1
9 years ago
Boston Proud!

RIP J
JadeRose
9 years ago

Boston Proud!

RIP J

frankj1 wrote:



Indeed Frank. The Original Boston Bad Boys. So much fun
stinger88
9 years ago
I guess his "blood turned cold". Centerfold is still a classic song and one of the first videos that I really remember.
JadeRose
9 years ago

I guess his "blood turned cold". Centerfold is still a classic song and one of the first videos that I really remember.

stinger88 wrote:




Go farther back than that. Their best stuff was made in the early 70's
dkeage
9 years ago
RIP... Whammer Jammer!
tailgater
9 years ago
Just saw Peter Wolf Saturday.
Weird.

frankj1
9 years ago
pulled out some vinyl to see what I still own...

1970 The J. Geils Band I believe this to be the first, and my favorite (first I look at the purse, homework, wait, a great cover of serves you right to suffer, etc.)
1971 The Morning After (whammer jammer, looking for a love, etc.)

coulda sworn I had a live early one..maybe Full House/Live from Detroit or something close. Detroit seems like it would have been a big town for this band.

evidently any other LP's I had are living elsewhere, but I probably like the two I have more than any other...Lights Out era early 80's I was already moving on. But I'm old and stuff.
frankj1
9 years ago

Just saw Peter Wolf Saturday.
Weird.

tailgater wrote:


check your e-mail..j'accuse!
tailgater
9 years ago

pulled out some vinyl to see what I still own...

1970 The J. Geils Band I believe this to be the first, and my favorite (first I look at the purse, homework, wait, a great cover of serves you right to suffer, etc.)
1971 The Morning After (whammer jammer, looking for a love, etc.)

coulda sworn I had a live early one..maybe Full House/Live from Detroit or something close. Detroit seems like it would have been a big town for this band.

evidently any other LP's I had are living elsewhere, but I probably like the two I have more than any other...Lights Out era early 80's I was already moving on. But I'm old and stuff.

frankj1 wrote:



My most recent CD purchase was Blow Your Face Out.
Still my second favorite live album.

(The Who Live at Leeds remains insurmountable)

tailgater
9 years ago

check your e-mail..j'accuse!

frankj1 wrote:



No.

I mean, yes. I checked my email.
And No, I didn't kill J. Geils.


Maybe he sat in the wrong plane seat?


stinger88
9 years ago
I will have to see about looking up some of their early stuff.
TMCTLT
9 years ago
RIP J Geils...

I remember diggn their tune....." Give it to me "

From Bloodshot 1973



frankj1
9 years ago

I will have to see about looking up some of their early stuff.

stinger88 wrote:


I think you'll be surprised at the raw driving blues you'll hear on the first couple compared to the more mainstream Centerfold era. The early band was in your face and it was good.

Not sure how well known it was, but J's split from the band and ultimate loss of ownership of the name J. Geils Band (!)
played a part in his retreat from fame. Over the last couple decades I would see his name mentioned as appearing in jazz venues around these parts, as he purposely drifted into a love of performing his guitar craft to a different, smaller fan base.
Sadly, I figured I had plenty of time to catch his jazz shtick, but I was wrong.

I had heard he became a recluse, living out somewhere in central MA near Bucky I believe. A few strange reports would surface here and there, but my take was that he was profoundly saddened by what transpired legally and musically after the run of fame. I may be overstating it, but I am a romantic at heart, and I am anti-Google.

RIP J. Geils. You are a piece of what shaped my formative years. Thank you.
Palama
9 years ago

Go farther back than that. Their best stuff was made in the early 70's

JadeRose wrote:



+1

High school and college favorite. Only got to see the band once, great show but man, it was LOUD!
RMAN4443
9 years ago
I saw one of the New Years Eve shows back in 1978 at the Providence Civic Center......great show, Serves You Right To Suffer is one of my favorites.


And "(Ain't Nothin but a)House Party" could always get a party off and running

"They're dancin' on the ceiling they're dancing on the floor.........People everywhere comin' through the door"...........Rock on J.Geils
RMAN4443
9 years ago
yeah, I personally don't even really like the Freeze Frame cd/album...........just about anything prior to that is really good.........Check out "Bloodshot" or "Monkey Island",

Or anything Live.......The J. Geils Band was meant to be heard live and LOUD
delta1
9 years ago
dayum...another one gone...
Users browsing this topic