ajeroth
9 years ago
Hello all... Long time since I've posted here but I do drop by every once in a while. I've got a question that I have a feeling some of you may be able to help me with. I just got back from a business trip to London and I was at my favorite shop purchasing a great cigar to smoke on site when I noticed a worn copy of the Illustrated Encyclopedia of Post-Revolutionary Havana Cigars on the shelf behind the salesman. I mentioned that I have a copy and he proceeded to tell me how great that was because the book was now worth some 900 gbp. That's quite a bit in US dollars and I had to try to look it up. Turns out I have a copy of the 1st edition from 2003 but that doesn't seem to be the one everyone is collecting... So, what's it worth? I see some of the second edition on ebay but again, it's hard to get a read on the 1st edition.

Some backstory, I actually purchased this copy in London at Harrods around 2004. It's been sitting on the shelf ever since. At the time I may have even posted a pic on this forum of my purchases... Long time ago and many cigars smoked... lol 🙂 I'd appreciate anyone's help.

Thanks,

Allen
MACS
9 years ago
Meh. I dunno... I sold mine long ago for what I paid for it.

I think... 🤦
Buckwheat
9 years ago
It's worth what ever someone will pay for it. [sarcasm]
You should be able to get a few hundred for it. During it's time it was the definitive source on CC's. I always liked the to scale cigar pictures in it. Most of the info in it is dated and more up-to-date information can be found on the internet. Min Ron Nee's input and knowledge was minimal compared to Adriano Martinez Rius'. Plus the guy is a first class ass. 🌫
deadeyedick
9 years ago
Still have a copy purchased in 2003. I have seen copies go for $350 or more but like Julian said, the info is way outdated since there has been so many changes in Cuban cigars over the last 10-15 years. Still a great source though.
bgz
  • bgz
  • Herf-A-Holic
9 years ago
People still read books?
gummy jones
9 years ago
I'll send ya $5 shipped
xibbumbero
9 years ago
I have the updated copy. I have seen it sell for 4-5 hundred. 1st edition about $250-300. X
ajeroth
9 years ago
Thanks everyone. I think you've confirmed my suspicions that the 2nd edition is the real collectors item. I'll hang on to this one for my collection.

🇨🇮
Thunder.Gerbil
9 years ago

Thanks everyone. I think you've confirmed my suspicions that the 2nd edition is the real collectors item. I'll hang on to this one for my collection.

🇨🇮

ajeroth wrote:




The 2nd edition came out last year, it's multiple volumes and cost around $10k. There were only like 2000 sets printed IIRC.
http://flyingcigar.de/startseite/mrn-second-edition-exclusive-pictures-final-info/ 


What you have is 1st edition, 2nd printing. The only difference between it and the 1st ed, initial printing are some minor error corrections. I've seen both sell for as much as $650 on fleabay.
cameroon
9 years ago

The 2nd edition came out last year, it's multiple volumes and cost around $10k. There were only like 2000 sets printed IIRC.
http://flyingcigar.de/startseite/mrn-second-edition-exclusive-pictures-final-info/ 


What you have is 1st edition, 2nd printing. The only difference between it and the 1st ed, initial printing are some minor error corrections. I've seen both sell for as much as $650 on fleabay.

Thunder.Gerbil wrote:



Not to quibble but has this actually been released? I"ve heard ppl say that from time to time but no one seems to be able to verify it is actually in the wild
Thunder.Gerbil
9 years ago

Not to quibble but has this actually been released? I"ve heard ppl say that from time to time but no one seems to be able to verify it is actually in the wild

cameroon wrote:



I had thought it was finally released last year, a couple years after pre-orders started, but I now believe you are correct, that it is still in limbo.

http://flyingcigar.de/startseite/find-a-comfortable-chair/ 

Sounds like there might be a proof copy out there in the hands of the author though. /shrug



****, just realized that post was from 2014. I dunno now...

Still conceding that you might be right though.
Users browsing this topic