DaQueenBeez
9 years ago
Boyo made it to Brisbane!
That wasn't actually my question. It wasn't actually any kind of question at all - just a random declaration.

The question is this: is it possible to have things delivered to a ship in a foreign port? Just as an example, assuming there was a Dominos pizza place in Brisbane, could someone go online and order a pizza to be delivered to someone a ship while it is in port there? Or maybe a cake if there was a bakery taking online orders and someone on the ship had a birthday coming up quite soon? In his last message, Boyo mentioned that all the guys on duty were looking at takeout menus, but I don't know if that means they can get delivery or if someone was making a food run for them.

I did warn you that it was an odd question.
I'm full of 'em.

Thanks!
MACS
9 years ago
Depends... of course, right?!

I don't quite remember how we were situated when we went, as it was about 14 years ago. I'm certain any business could at least deliver it to the entrance to the base, and have the sentry phone the ship to come get it. Australian rules may be different, but I can't see the US Navy authorizing deliveries close to the ship. Especially a carrier.

Oh... sh*t. Sydney and Melbourne were 14 years ago. Cairns and Brisbane were in 1999. 🤦

Geez I feel old.
dstieger
9 years ago
Skip the pizza. Homemade cookies. 🙂
DaQueenBeez
9 years ago
Was actually thinking birthday cake...
DaQueenBeez
9 years ago

Depends... of course, right?!

I don't quite remember how we were situated when we went, as it was about 14 years ago. I'm certain any business could at least deliver it to the entrance to the base, and have the sentry phone the ship to come get it. Australian rules may be different, but I can't see the US Navy authorizing deliveries close to the ship. Especially a carrier.

Oh... sh*t. Sydney and Melbourne were 14 years ago. Cairns and Brisbane were in 1999. 🤦

Geez I feel old.

MACS wrote:


Well, I don't think you're quite ready for Depends, but if you were there in 99, THIS kid was six years old, so relatively speaking, that would make you old lol. Ashland is an amphib, so not exactly a carrier but yeah, I was thinking I couldn't picture a Pizza Hut or grub hub delivery truck rolling up to the pier. If they could deliver to the gate, though, and have someone come get it...

I can work with that!
Buckwheat
9 years ago
A birthday cake would be nice but I wouldn't coddle him too much.
MACS
9 years ago

A birthday cake would be nice but I wouldn't coddle him too much.

Buckwheat wrote:



Shush... the boyo is on deployment, and all coddling is necessary and highly appreciated!!
Whistlebritches
9 years ago
Tammy......BOYO is a grown man.Now I know a place in Brisbane you can order him a "girlfriend".......and she will deliver.Boyo will never forget you for this.PM me for info

Honestly he probably doesn't need it......The Aussie chicks love us yanks.Maybe he'll bring you a daughter~n~law home...........or at least a grandchild.LOL
DaQueenBeez
9 years ago
It's his birthday (or within a few days of it) - the boy can have a cake! If I'm ever away from all family & friends on my birthday after months of utterly vile boat food (had it. It's vile.) one or both of my children damn sure better step up and ship me a frikkin' cake!

No balloons.
I freaking hate balloons.

And I wouldn't object to him bringing home a nice daughter-in-law..,but I have my doubts about her being nice if she's a daughter in law after one long weekend!
frankj1
9 years ago

Tammy......BOYO is a grown man.Now I know a place in Brisbane you can order him a "girlfriend".......and she will deliver.Boyo will never forget you for this.PM me for info

Honestly he probably doesn't need it......The Aussie chicks love us yanks.Maybe he'll bring you a daughter~n~law home...........or at least a grandchild.LOL

Whistlebritches wrote:


pm sent
Abrignac
9 years ago
Timing would be a pain in the arse unless they will be there more than a few days. I'm assuming you're going to try and find a local business to make it. Prolly be easier to have him pick it up. I seriously doubt the MACS (not ours, but the once assigned to the vessel) would allow such a delivery.
MACS
9 years ago

Timing would be a pain in the arse unless they will be there more than a few days. I'm assuming you're going to try and find a local business to make it. Prolly be easier to have him pick it up. I seriously doubt the MACS (not ours, but the once assigned to the vessel) would allow such a delivery.

Abrignac wrote:



I would have. For a slice of cake, of course...
Mr. Jones
9 years ago
The navy delivers the marines...
At great risk.
DaQueenBeez
9 years ago
Anthony - that was the thought. I found a local bakery that charges waayyy too much for their gooey deliciousness, but takes out of country orders and guarantees same day delivery. He has duty tomorrow, so I was hoping if they could get it to the gate, someone on the boat could be bribed...ah...er...that is, INCENTIVIZED to go pick it up for him.

He has VERY high praise for his division chief (apparently he would follow the man into a burning building, because he knows he'd get out alive and learn something along the way. Sounds like it helps that the guy is a super-geek tech guru master - boyo' eyes glaze over when he talks about some new geekery he learned from the guy lol, I'd prefer he get the hell out of the building and learn later,) and it sounds like sr chief comes in a close second in boyo's estimation. that's all I know other than FSA chief is a raging doosh kanooooo, and while the Nerds are happily following their chief into the blazing inferno, the cooks will be bashing theirs on the head and using his body to wedge the doors closed.
MACS
9 years ago
A chief that has the admiration of his troops? He's doing it right.

Leadership - getting someone else to do what you want them to do because they want to do it for you.
DaQueenBeez
9 years ago
So...does anyone know or remember enough about where they park the boat in Brisbane to say if there's a coffee shop or breakfast place where he could hug a tree for a bit and be sneak attacked by a delivery person?
Whistlebritches
9 years ago

So...does anyone know or remember enough about where they park the boat in Brisbane to say if there's a coffee shop or breakfast place where he could hug a tree for a bit and be sneak attacked by a delivery person?

DaQueenBeez wrote:



I was never in port with an aircraft carrier present.........might be anchored out.The draft of an aircraft carrier is pretty demanding.I went in on a DDG and an FFG........a mosquito up next to a flat top.
MACS
9 years ago
Portside Wharf
39 Hercules St.
Hamilton 4007,
Queensland Australia

Google Earth that address. Should be able to see what's around it.
frankj1
9 years ago
it truly is amazing how much info our little group possesses
DaQueenBeez
9 years ago

it truly is amazing how much info our little group possesses

frankj1 wrote:


^^^this!
Users browsing this topic