Burner02
9 years ago
Yesterday A.M. I was in Pensacola for a medical procedure and of course the time involved was indicative of what can be expected in today’s environment when it comes to medical appointments. Scheduled to arrive at 0930 – check (took 5 minutes), scheduled start time 1030 – no check and finally called back at 1100. I guess it was more the hurry up and wait than the lost 30 minutes that was aggravating.

During the wait a gentleman entered the waiting room in a wheel chair being escorted by a young man that I perceived to be his son. The gentleman I guessed to be in his middle to late 40’s and the son in his early 20’s. They seated themselves just to the left of my wife and my self where I could see them from a 45 degree angle. After getting settled they began fiddling with their smart phones carrying on a conversation. The gentleman (I later learn to be Patrick) was having trouble speaking clearly.

After a while, I noticed that Patrick had what appeared to be a screened USAF MAJCOM patch on his left chest area of his black t-shirt he was wearing. The patch was somewhat faded and to start a conversation I leaned over and asked if it was an Air Combat Command (ACC) emblem and Patrick replied yes. I advised that I had once worn the same patch but my problem was that I dated back to ACC’s predecessor, Tactical Air Command (TAC). He indicated that he also had been in TAC for a short period before ACC came along.

We probably conversed for 25 minutes or so before I was called back. In that short period, I learned quiet a bid about his career both military and post military. Just before our conversation was to end I also heard something I did not want to hear. Patrick stated that his life was normal until around 16 months ago. Up until that time he was an avid runner and was a civilian DOD employee until being diagnosed with ALS.

The wasted time no longer seemed important and “Life can suck.”

Prayers up for Patrick Peters and continued prayers for Mayor Jack.

[-o<
TMCTLT
9 years ago

Yes that's a kick in da nutz Dan....Praying with you my friend.

Life can be wonderful to be sure...but @ times yes it can down right SUCK
Ewok126
9 years ago
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis otherwise known as Lou Gehrig's disease a horrible thing. While working in Ashville NC one of my responsibilities was doing nerve conduction studies and electromyograms. While there I had an outpatient come in for both studies. The patient had fasciculations and I was already concerned this might be the case as that is one of the symptoms. While doing the NCV I was paying close attention to the numbers and sure enough. The sad part is she was the youngest in my entire career I had ever seen come in and diagnosed with ALS at the age of 23. It was heartbreaking to say the least in knowing this is typically a death sentence. That memory will be with me to the grave.

I will be praying for Patrick Peters and his family.
jjanecka
9 years ago
I had a boss that died from ALS. In less than a year of diagnosis he went from being strong enough to play minor league sports to being in a wheelchair. He died shortly after.

Have they at least figured out why this happens or what triggers it?
Speyside
9 years ago
MACS
9 years ago
Yessir... life can cough up a big hairball of perspective, just when you need it.

Prayers for Mr. Peters, and our own Mayor Conrad. 🙏
madspackler
9 years ago

Yessir... life can cough up a big hairball of perspective, just when you need it.

Prayers for Mr. Peters, and our own Mayor Conrad. 🙏

MACS wrote:


Exactly.
frankj1
9 years ago
not clear on the details, but thought I heard this week that a new drug is being approved...lots of support around Boston due to Pete Frates/ice water challenge.
TMCTLT
9 years ago

not clear on the details, but thought I heard this week that a new drug is being approved...lots of support around Boston due to Pete Frates/ice water challenge.

frankj1 wrote:




Is this the one Frank?


http://www.genervon.com/genervon/about_pressreleases.php 
gummy jones
9 years ago
we have some als in the family
its a rough go
delta1
9 years ago
Puts life in perspective...thanks for sharing Burner...prayers out...
delta1
9 years ago
Puts life in perspective...thanks for sharing Burner...prayers out...
frankj1
9 years ago

not sure, Paul. I was getting out of the shower and heard the tv in the bedroom, guess I just assumed it was Frates' wife or mother rejoicing about the first chance ever to keep him alive long enough for a new drug to emerge...
Gene363
9 years ago
Prayers.

One day I'm bitching about not having any shoes then I meet a guy with no feet. Sometime we need to have things put into proper perspective, thank you for sharing.
Users browsing this topic