teedubbya
9 years ago
It took minutes for Trump to respond to the Merck CEO and tweet his displeasure but days and what looked like pain to read a statement about the klan and David duke etc with still no tweet. Putin must like the klan lol.
teedubbya
9 years ago

Gov't/feds putting it's face in every aspect of our lives. I was expanding on Russ' point of over-reach. The gov't provides your basic needs and they pretty much own you...

MACS wrote:




Oh I get that and agree to an extent. I think the slaves prolly felt government was intrusive as well. Funny they may have seen things differently.
victor809
9 years ago

Everything happens according to the times. Slaves were used to get stuff done. whether you look at the Bible, the tribalism of yesteryear or today in Africa- read up on the elections and controversy around them in Kenya, South Africa, & Nigeria.

Winners have enslaved the losers. Eventually, the English French and all of Europeans decide slavery was somewhat tasteless and in poor form. That, and the didn't have 5,000 acres of cotton needing picking.

8trackdisco wrote:


Yes... but the americas made slavery special (we are like that)... The americas continued perpetuating the racial aspect of the slavery, combining the "hey we won! we're gonna make you work for us" fun with the "your race, and any child you have of your race is inferior and only suitable for the labor we tell you to do" fun... the inferiority of a race was codified into scientific literature and encyclopedias of the time.

I doubt slavery would have ever went nationwide. Maybe it would have kept labor costs and unemployment down in the grain belt of the Midwest for a bit. That is IF the Southerns wanted anything to do with taking over the North.


They simply wanted to live the life they were living, and didn't want the Feds to tell them what to do. I have that in common with them.


you can "doubt it" all you want. They were careful to ensure that a line item in their constitution gave them the right to implement slavery in any territory they conquered. Now, I don't know who to believe... your gut feeling or a document from the era which was drafted to provide the rule of law those states would live under.... it's a toss-up.


Lincoln said if freeing all of the slave would preserve the union, he would do it. If keeping them all in chains would accomplish the preserved union, he'd do that too. He wasn't the most progressive guy out there. He was a moderate at best. The southerns lost their chit, jumped the gun, and nearly won with at best a third of the resources the north had. Superior generals will make up the deficits.


I don't disagree that lincoln probably didn't care that much. This isn't about lincoln at all... it's about the south. They don't exist in a vacuum I agree, but I don't think lincoln's motivations are that important. And whetehr they had the bestter generals or not isn't really relevant. Bad people can have excellent strategists work for them. Doesn't mean we should give them a statue. Or care if it's taken down.


They didn't care for Club Fed any more and wanted out of the club. The Feds said.. no. That makes it a States Rights, not a Slavery issue.

Think of it this way. You decide, that you no longer want to post on Cigarbid. You don't like the bi-laws and SteveR the Second is taking over- and you hate him more than SteveR's mom. You decide not to post here any more, and they MAKE you stay and post.

Would you allow that to stand?


I get it 8... I understand some people feel some kindred spirit for those who don't want to knuckle under the federal government. That doesn't make it "not a slavery issue"... the issue they were disagreeing with the federal government over was slavery. Hell, North carolina was literally angry that the northern states weren't returning escaped slaves like they were supposed to (article 4 of the constitution) and the federal government didn't make them... (so they wanted the federal government involved when it helped them.... starts to sound like our current era).

And you're right. The secession was exactly like how you describe it... if svenR II tried to make me stay and post, I'd be pretty pissed too. Might even go and kick his dog.

But we aren't talking about posting on a forum. We're talking about owning people.

I said it before, if the southern states were trying to secede because they liked raping toddlers, and the northern states were letting people escape with their 4 year olds and not sending them back to get raped... are you going to let that fall under "states rights"? Say "ah, they just don't care for club fed keeping them from raping toddlers and tehy just wanted out of the club"....

We are talking about people's lives.
victor809
9 years ago

Oh I get that and agree to an extent. I think the slaves prolly felt government was intrusive as well. Funny they may have seen things differently.

teedubbya wrote:



Yeah... that sugga daddy government letting people suckle at the teat of not being whipped and raped and lynched.


I really have stopped knowing what people aren't capable of justifying any longer.
MACS
9 years ago
My point wasn't that being whipped, raped, and lynched was okay. But you knew that.

My point... one form of slavery for another form... without the beatings, but no less a man being beholden to another man, or group of men.
teedubbya
9 years ago
Without agreeing completely with the premise that welfare is slavery, if it is one form has some semblance of choice involved the other not so much.
victor809
9 years ago
It's not much of a point MACS. If you look at abolishing established slavery as just the step before economic/benefits slavery... If you truly don't believe there could be a middle ground between enslaving an entire race based on institutionalized racist propaganda and giving away welfare checks ... well... f4ck...I don't know. At that point I'm at a loss for words.
Whistlebritches
9 years ago

It's not much of a point MACS. If you look at abolishing established slavery as just the step before economic/benefits slavery... If you truly don't believe there could be a middle ground between enslaving an entire race based on institutionalized racist propaganda and giving away welfare checks ... well... f4ck...I don't know. At that point I'm at a loss for words.

victor809 wrote:



You should be........because MACS is absolutely right.I see it daily........3rd and 4th generation project families making sure they show up for commodities handout day.Milk,cheese,eggs and rice.........gots to stand in line to get theirs.
teedubbya
9 years ago

You should be........because MACS is absolutely right.I see it daily........3rd and 4th generation project families making sure they show up for commodities handout day.Milk,cheese,eggs and rice.........gots to stand in line to get theirs.

Whistlebritches wrote:




You would too if they gave out bourbon lol

J/k how are ya sir?
victor809
9 years ago
... did whistle seriously just make the argument that there is no middle ground between having state enforced institutional slavery and giving away welfare checks?

Does he not understand what the term middle ground means?
Whistlebritches
9 years ago

You would too if they gave out bourbon lol

J/k how are ya sir?

teedubbya wrote:



Ok ........when bourbon becomes a commodity handed out by the gubmint,hook,line and sinker.I'm **** ed

All well Tim....and you
Whistlebritches
9 years ago

... did whistle seriously just make the argument that there is no middle ground between having state enforced institutional slavery and giving away welfare checks?

Does he not understand what the term middle ground means?

victor809 wrote:



Umm yea.........middle ground means you do not understand that there is no difference between state enforced institutional slavery and giving away welfare checks.One and the same
MACS
9 years ago

You should be........because MACS is absolutely right.I see it daily........3rd and 4th generation project families making sure they show up for commodities handout day.Milk,cheese,eggs and rice.........gots to stand in line to get theirs.

Whistlebritches wrote:



As blacks only comprise 13% of our population, rest assured whitey is in those lines in larger numbers. I saw it, too.

An entire neighborhood of duplex houses called, "Yorktown Manor". Probably 90% white folk, breeding welfare babies. That's where I lived until I was 12. Moved to a single family section 8 house!! It was not on the East side.
teedubbya
9 years ago

Ok ........when bourbon becomes a commodity handed out by the gubmint,hook,line and sinker.I'm **** ed

All well Tim....and you

Whistlebritches wrote:




Good as gold
victor809
9 years ago
No whistle... that's not what middle ground means...


...sigh....

The saddest part is I'm happy that's the part he didn't understand.
frankj1
9 years ago

I can't believe y'all aren't jumping all over this.

Mattie B wrote:


Hey Mattie!
Is this the new 500?


HA!

delta1
9 years ago
If you watched events unfold in Charlottesville and felt affinity for one side or the other...honestly...which side was it?


paraphrasing Jeff Foxworthy: If you was rootin for the guys carryin the Bars and Stars, guns, and torches ... doing the Hitler salute... ya might be a racist...


I had hopes that those days were in America's past...that our shared values of freedom, liberty, and equality for all citizens had prevailed. They will eventually, as good usually defeats evil.
DrafterX
9 years ago
This was not a planned protest... both sides showed up wearing helmets and carrying bats and stuff.... this was a planned gang fight... 😟
Burner02
9 years ago

If you watched events unfold in Charlottesville and felt affinity for one side or the other...honestly...which side was it?

delta1 wrote:




WGAS, only difference in the two sides are who they hate. Let them kill each other off and good riddance.


Another thing Al, don't believe everything you read and hear about the south. If you do you will be exactly like one of the more bigoted posters on this site. And that would not be a compliment.
teedubbya
9 years ago
Igas

I hate nazis, the kkk and all they stand for.
Users browsing this topic