rfenst
3 years ago
62 or 64, depending on humi temp.
Anyone who told you 70/70 at the cigar shop is clueless.
Stogie1020
3 years ago

62 or 64, depending on humi temp.
Anyone who told you 70/70 at the cigar shop is clueless.

rfenst wrote:




It's the all-powerful Propolyne Glycol Lobby!!

delta1
3 years ago
my fave humidity is whatever the ambient is on the Hawaiian Island while I am there, unless it's raining...whether in the 50's to 90's RH, I seem to enjoy my cigars more there than any other place...

I spend time on the Big Island in Kona/Keauhou Bay, which is near the low end of the Hawaiian Island humidity spectrum; and also on Kauai, which is near the high end of the spectrum...

my wooden humidors range between 58 - 64 rh, depending on ambient rh...my plastic snap lid tupperdors are between 63-64 rh, depending on how often I open them...

I use 65 rh Heartfelt beads and 65 rh Boveda humidity packs
Sunoverbeach
3 years ago

62 or 64, depending on humi temp.
Anyone who told you 70/70 at the cigar shop is clueless.

rfenst wrote:


Made me think of a shpo I went into in Minnesota. Walked in the humi, and the entire floor was coated in moisture. Looked at the humidifier reading 87%. Told the cashier they had a problem in there and was thanked. Maybe I'm greedy, but a nice 5er would have shown proper thanks for saving their entire flipping stock
LeeBot
3 years ago
I remember going into a place on 202 in Delaware years ago, and almost every cigar there was covered in "bloom." A lot of it. Everything was obviously over-humidifed.

I was desperate though, so I bought a cheapy, and tried to smoke it, but sure enough, WAY too moist. About all I remember was it being harsh and terrible and not burning.

Edit: I remember it was a Cusano 1997 Corojo. Ha!
Sunoverbeach
3 years ago
I've told this one before, but warned a guy in a Columbus store his box of Montes had mold. I'm all about alerting shpokeepers of issues apparently. He said it's plume. I pointed out the plume was forming individual 3D fuzzy balls all over the cigars
clintCigar
3 years ago
I store around 66-70% (depending on temp) but I typically stage in my cigar locker at 65%. I've gotten better consistent performance out of my dailys since doing this. That's not too say I don't get good performance from my others stored, it just seems to minimize issues. A side plus from it is that I'm consistently recharging my 60g 65% Boveda in my cigar locker. That thing has been goin for almost 2yrs now lol.
drglnc
3 years ago
I maintain 2 coolers and 2 smaller tuppadors, one cooler is long term storage 70% the others are Ready to smoke at 65% Usually move stuff at least 2 weeks but more like a month when possible before i want to smoke it.

Temp is always SUB 70 but usually closer to 65

drglnc
3 years ago

I've told this one before, but warned a guy in a Columbus store his box of Montes had mold. I'm all about alerting shpokeepers of issues apparently. He said it's plume. I pointed out the plume was forming individual 3D fuzzy balls all over the cigars

Sunoverbeach wrote:



Had a similar situations. I was overseas at an Embassy in Turkey for 4 years, most Embassy have a store for alcohol and stuff and started to sell Cigars (Cubans only). I warned them multiple times that they humidity was high (every time i saw it it was 72-75%) Additionally after looking at the Cohiba bands it was clear they were not real. he wouldn't take my advise and after about a month mold started to show. he tried the same plum BS ( he was not a smoker so only knew what he read or was told by the supplier). I bought 2, went to the med unit. dissected one in front of the doc and shoed the floor sweepings to include hair, showed the mold growing as well. 3 days later the Cigars were gone and the shop was forbid from selling them for health concerns.

LeeBot
3 years ago
=d>
That's hardcore.
rfenst
3 years ago
Australian cigar website had many customers sent in cigars with "plume" and sent them to a lab. The "plume" was determined to be mold, so I don't have much faith in a claim of plume. Just wipe it office and enjoy your cigar!
clintCigar
3 years ago
I have for sure seen the difference in plume and mold in my collection. If it's fuzzy, it's mold. Period. Plume is like brittle crystals.
Jakethesnake86
3 years ago
I figure the brittle crystals are just the mold that dries. I don’t know A little crystal doesn’t turn me on or off 😂
I’m the snake
delta1
3 years ago
BTW: check the humidity levels of the cigars you just bought...put them in a tupperware container with a hygrometer, and let sit for 24 hours. You'll prolly find that they will be high 60's to low 70's, which is a little wet, and an indication that "let them sit a bit" is good advice for newly purchased cigars. This is why most folks avoid the temptation to smoke'em ROTT.

Lookin at you hnixon12...
Users browsing this topic