usahog
  • usahog
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
let me ask this since Bull brought up the other thread and the discussion was going quite well...

If there was an attack on American soil using Sarin Gas or Anthrax like after the 911 these mailings happend..

The question is, would you want to get help to prevent the possibilities of yourself or your family becoming a victim? to what extent would you go to ensure this type thing didn't effect you or your family members?

Hog
usahog
  • usahog
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
Sain = Sarin... Sorry bout that ;0)

Hog
Hoss
21 years ago
I did like everyone else. I bought 1000 rolls of duct tape.
PMoreno349
21 years ago
Is that a rhetorical question? Are you offering advice, or trying to find out what our plans are? I have never thought about it, because the probability of it happening here is so low.
tornado
21 years ago
I think Anthrax is easily controlled with modern antibiotics, so it's really no more of a threat than the flu.

Sarin gas? Guess I'd better practice holding my breath.
usahog
  • usahog
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
Is that a rhetorical question? No I wanted an honest reply once thought over...

Are you offering advice, Nope

or trying to find out what our plans are? No Again

I have never thought about it, because the probability of it happening here is so low. how do you figure the probability is low?

I simply asked a question to see what responses would be..


Hog
CWFoster
21 years ago
"I have never thought about it, because the probability of it happening here is so low."

What would you have thought of the probability of terrorists crashing jetliners into our buildings was on 9/10/01?
18delta
21 years ago
some people amaze me with their ignorance..........
uncleb
21 years ago
I love how someone gives an honest answer/comment and are called ignorant.

Now THAT is ingnorant.
18delta
21 years ago
ignorance can be illustrated no better than stating that the likelyhood of a sarin gas attack in the USA is low.

usahog
  • usahog
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
No I seriously wanted a good discussion here... I don't feel anything or anyone on Ignorance with their post to this thread...

Hog

btw I'm back... ;0)

18delta
21 years ago
sorry, i couldn't help myself........
18delta
21 years ago
honestly, i do not know what i would do. if the attack occurred in an enclosed area, i.e. subway station, i would probably just bend over and kiss me own arse goodbye..........

if it occured away from me, which in all likelyhood it would ( i live in a sparsely populated area), i would do nothing.

as far as gas masks go, you know as well as i do that warnings would probably come too late. we, as civilians, do not have the advantages of having nbc guys set up those warning devices or anything of the sort. i do, however, live near and downwind of an army chemical weapons incineration site and the guidelines given everyone who lives in the area were, at best, vague. put it like this.......any experienced m.d. i trained under in the army always reacted the same way when confronted with the question "what do you think the chances of surviving a chemical attack (from any given agent...nerve, blister, etc.) with moderate warning times and protection of masks only?"....."i, i, i, do not know......probably not good." even with good warning systems in place, the likelihood of coming in contact with an agent via contact (skin), respiratory, or otherwise is huge. you also know how hard it is to remain proficient at the use of nbc equipment for military personnel, much less civilians who do not have the advantage of intense nbc training.

to answer your question......i do not know what i would do in reaction to an attack or to prevent myself or my family from becoming victims. there have been times when i considered gas masks as an option....but what would you do, carry them everywhere with you?

as far as prep for my home, i do not know of any viable options available to me that would prevent the agents from entering even the innermost part of my home. certainly, duct tape wouldn't do the trick.

as far as remedies, i think it is illegal as well as impractical to allow citizens to keep and/or administer atropine injections to themselves or to others. they simply could not be trained in the proper use of these medications and the physiological implications of administering them at all, much less improperly, could be devastating.

on the last live ops i participated in where the likelihood of exposure to chemical agents was high, we did not even carry our nbc gear. first of all, when you are hauling 100+ lbs of gear, weapons, ammo, water, and food, the extra poundage can be a killer. also, the chance of us receiving adequate warnings was extremely low. therefore, the chances of us contacting the agents themselves were high. in which case we knew we would most likely die or worse.....yes, there are worse things than death......studied many patient profiles of those exposed to saddams last attacks against iranians/kurds and the prognosis, imho, was bleak.

hope this answers your question as this was my honest attempt at it. btw, why do you ask? i must have not seen the thread you were referring to.

later,

delta
jackconrad
21 years ago
I would kill the 1st anti American idiot i could lay my hands on.
usahog
  • usahog
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
LMAO @ Jack... I probably would do the same thing as you...

Delta, and all the others.. the reason I asked this question and posted this thread.. was because our Federal Government is spending Billions of $$$ to supply these United States with Anthrax vaccines stockpiles, now the only way they can re-coop some of the profits is if there were an actual event took place where the American people would fear coming in contact enough with it, they themselves would want to be vacinated to prevent harm if coming in contact with the threat??

Less then a month ago.. A Federal Judge halted any and all vaccines given to the troops and ruled them unsafe, which there is 1000's of documented cases of these vaccines causing more harm then good... So I posed this question to the forum group to see what their take on the situation if warrented would be... would you risk the chance of a vaccine not working correctly for yourself or your family?? could the fear factor raise that much? it was just a thought I had when I posted the above thread...

Hog
PMoreno349
21 years ago
now Hog... I wasn't trying to give you a hard time, I too, was just trying to understand what you were trying to communicate. It was an interesting question, and I thought, that you knew something and was trying to share it.

18Delta... you need to lighten up. First of all, I didn't say the probability of an attack happening in the USA was low... I said the probability of it happening HERE, in my town, is low. You know, just like the probability of me hitting the lotto is low. Therefore, it is not a good use of my time to sit around and prepare for what will, in all probability, will never happen.

It is irrational, to sit and worry that a low-probability event will happen to you.
CWFoster
21 years ago
PMoreno349, we'vedisagred on politics, but just to clear the air, I meant no disrespect nor implications of ignorance. I merely wish to try to do my part to allay the quid pro ante thinking that seems to permeate our society. The only way to stop attacks is to stop thinking they wont happen, plan on them happening, plan how they would hapen, and be waiting there when the bad guys show up to do it to us!

History has shown us repeatedly what happens, yet we never learn. Every time we get past a major conflict (WWI, WWII, Vietnam, Desert Storm, hopefully not Iraqi Freedom) We decide it's time to enjoy the "Peace Dividend" and cut back our military. This causes what some potential enemies see as a weakness to be exploited. When we scaled back on our forces in the years between the World Wars, the Japanese thought they could sucker punch us, and take what they wanted of the South Pacific. I only mention this to point up the danger of returning to the "wont happen here" line of thought. JMHO
PMoreno349
21 years ago
Foster, I assume you are the same as 18delta?

I don't see how we, as individuals, can defend against a single random attack like this. However, there should be a system in place, making it difficult for terrorists to accomplish this. However, As soon as you do that, then some liberal is going to start screaming about impinging on their civil rights.

I think that the vaccination approach is a legitimate attempt at a solution, but I am sort of with Hog, questioning the safety of that. Maybe CigarPrimate (being our resident biologist) could comment about the risk associated with the vaccines. My bottom line analysis is that you are not going to be able to make any major changes until another event occurs, and more people die. Only then will you have the ability to get closer to a real solution. In the meantime, I will steer clear of vaccines (I don't get flu shots), unless there is more evidence if an immediate danger, balancing the risk.
EI
  • EI
  • Herf-A-Holic
21 years ago
Author: PMoreno349 Date: 11/23/2004 12:28 PM Reply
I don't see how we, as individuals, can defend against a single random attack like this

Try being more alert to your surroundings and report any suspicious activity. Don't go around with your head in the air or stuck in the sand.
Take notice of that stranger photgraphing the courthouse or bridge. Look people in the eye and see if they look away or begin to get nervous.
If you see a car or truck parked in a location it shouldn't be use your cell phone to contact the police

If your wrong so what.

But if your right in your suspicions, you have just done something as an individual to defend against a single random attack

And don't say that it doesnt happen like that.
Two off duty police saw some people on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in Maryland taking pictures and reported it. Guess what. It was a muslim doctor and his wife who had a history of giving big money to terrorist causes
18delta
21 years ago
well well well.....

i actually agree with p. moreno on a couple of things......bwahhhahhhhh

i posted my thoughts on the whole chemical attack thing, and i don't know if i was clear or what but i agree with p.moreno that we do need a system in place...i do not know, however, what that system should be. the previous post, EI stated that we could "do" certain things in order to prevent attacks. i agree with what he had to say as well. i am also in agreement with you, pmoreno, on the whining liberal backlash that would occur if and when a system were established.

damnit! i am also in agreement with you on the vaccination issue. i don't get the flu shots either..


don't know what the answer is but sure know that some things need to change.............thought they would after 9-11. according to the families that attended the hearings on 9-11 in nyc this year, we've not come very far at all.
Users browsing this topic