eleltea
24 years ago
along with the 2 links
Slimboli
24 years ago
... and it amazes me how much discord I am responsible for on this board?

... hehehe!
wbslngr
24 years ago
hey slim, there are two of us in the chat. I think we are going for a record.
jmgiovi
24 years ago
I think that all of us are looking forward to the end of the embargo, but let me ask you all...what do you think will happen to the quality of the cigars after the embargo ends?

I'm willing to bet that even the real Cubans will be made from crap for years due to overwhelming demand from the U.S.

At first I thought that the conterfeit Cubans would come to an end after the embarbo, but watch and see. I will not be surprised to see prices go UP on Cubans after the embargo, and therefore the counterfeiting should also increase.

No end in sight.

Jim
qmechanics
24 years ago
Hello
The funny thing is living in Miami I have friends who visit Cuba quite often.They are experienced Cuban smokers who can spot a fake a mile away.I have become somewhat better versed in the way of the fake,but regardless I can say I have only smoked original Cubans.It helps to know people from Cuba and live in a place where there are educated smokers.
Q
Slimboli
24 years ago
Yeah ... just be careful of the "I have a friend who knows the brother of a man who is good friends with the roller" ... blah, blah, blah ...

... it's the oldest trick in the world of counterfeits.
Board_Bouncer
24 years ago
Slimboli,

Cuban cigars are very abundant here in south Florida. People traveling from cuba are allowed to bring back 2 boxes each trip. So we are a lot less likley to see counterfeit Cuban cigars here than in California. I stay away from the Cohiba's, they are crap counterfiet or not.
Slimboli
24 years ago
You've got to be kidding me, right?

That's just not true. Florida is the worst state for counterfeits just because of the fact that you stated. It's so close to Cuba ... they've got to
be real, true? False

It just isn't so ... and you have to be really careful.

This is taken from one of the liks I posted on the, 'A very LONG thread':

It is commonly estimated that greater than 95% of the cigars in the US reputed to be Cuban are actually fakes. In my experience this is probably close to accurate, as I see fake after fake. Also, keep in mind that there are far more on average counterfeit Cuban cigars circulating in Florida, New York, and California.

In other worlds, Florida is rampant with fakes ...
Slimboli
24 years ago
... and when did the laws change?

Only persons returning from Cuba after a licensed visit there are permitted to bring Cuban cigars into the United States, provided the value of such cigars does not exceed $100 US dollars and the cigars are for that individual's personal use and not for resale.

All other importations of Cuban cigars are illegal.

All offers to buy or sell such cigars in the United States involve cigars that were imported illegally. Contrary to what many people may believe, it is illegal for travelers to bring into the United States Cuban cigars acquired in third countries (such as Canada, England, or Mexico).

I got the above information HERE ...
Board_Bouncer
24 years ago
Slimboli,

I made the statement based on what I have seen with my own two eyes. I have picked up friends coming from Cuba at Miami International with 2 boxes in hand. US customs does not want to get into the cigar pricing game. 50 sticks @ $2 bucks a stick = $100.

I have also been to a herf where a US customs agent was joining us in smoking the "contraband" (legal Partagas). He told the group that a lot of cuban cigars come in legally. "There are flights out of Miami that make scheduled stops in Cuba while en route to South America. The people on those flights ALWAYS bring back 2 boxes of cuban cigars each." He also said that what they are looking for is people bringing back a couple of suit cases full of cigars. He said that they have had a few idiots try.

I would like to know what makes you think that you are such an "expert" in the trade of Cuban cigars. Have you lived in Cuba? Have you lived in south Florida? I doubt you have even smoked that many Cuban cigars. I know, you are a US government agent trying to stop people from buying Cuban cigars.
bassithound
24 years ago
Hey boardbouncer, didn't you know that slim is the resident expert on everything, just ask him.
Slimboli
24 years ago
What makes you think that I think I am such an expert? I never made any such claim ... and only 'copy and paste' what research I have found on the internet.

I'm glad you know me well enough to know how many Cuban cigars I have smoked ... I'm impressed with your clairvoyant abilities.

... and on your final statement, don't be absurd. I could care less on how many Cuban cigars a person buys. I try to get as many as I am able ...

Like I said ... I just go by what I've read and what others tell me. I'm not saying that all I've read or been told to the truth either (I'm sure there are many loopholes where you can get around the laws) ... but for now, that's all I have to go on, and just passing on the information for those not as savy as you. Most fakes are sold to those who can't tell the difference ...

No need to get pushed out of shape by it ...
Slimboli
24 years ago
bassithound --- the only ones who think I'm an 'expert on everything' are those with 'thin skin' who have issues with me ...

All I do is state an opinion, and that's all it is ...
bassithound
24 years ago
I don't have thin skin and the comment wasn't directed to you. I just peruse the board and call'um as a see'um.
Slimboli
24 years ago
Sorry ... my bad.

I thought, "... didn't you know that slim is the resident expert on everything, just ask him" was a comment about me.
bassithound
24 years ago
It was, but it wasn't directed to you, I don't care what you think. What was that original longgggg article about anyway?
Board_Bouncer
24 years ago
Slimboli,


You stated the folowing:
"You've got to be kidding me, right?"


Lets see if I have this right. Some guy posts what he knows to be fact and it goes against what you believe to be true so automaticly it's BS.



"That's just not true. Florida is the worst state for counterfeits just because of the fact that you stated. It's so close to Cuba ... they've got to
be real, true? False"


I never stated that Florida's proximity to Cuba had anything to due with the supply of Cuban cigars in Florida. I said that the people traveling to Cuba from Florida is the reason that we have less counterfeit Cuban Cigars here. But hey, who am I to educate the expert.



"It just isn't so ... and you have to be really careful."

Yes you do have to be careful. Just because someone puts something in writing on a web site doesn't make it true. Again if I state something that goes against what you believe, you slam it as being less than the truth. I would think that you would take someones first hand experience over something posted on a web site. I have seen you do this over and over on this forum, hence the self proclaimed "expert" coment.



"This is taken from one of the liks I posted on the, 'A very LONG thread':

It is commonly estimated that greater than 95% of the cigars in the US reputed to be Cuban are actually fakes. In my experience this is probably close to accurate, as I see fake after fake. Also, keep in mind that there are far more on average counterfeit Cuban cigars circulating in Florida, New York, and California."



"In other worlds, Florida is rampant with fakes ..."


I made my statements that Florida is NOT rampant with fakes based on my experience. Is the writer of that information a resident of Florida? I think not. He is making a guess as to the prevelence of counterfeit cigars here. That guess is probably based on a visit to one or two cities here. I would say that if he visited Tampa, Orlando or Jacksonville that he would be a lot more likely to find counterfeit cuban cigars. And again, who am I to teach the EXPERT anything.


I find it amusing that you take the information that I was trying to convey as a personal attack. The latter statements in my first post were ment as a joke!.... a government agent.....get real......you need to lighten up.... hence the Board_Bouncer handle.... that was also done to poke a little fun at the great Slimboli "Lord of Discipline". You need that trip to PR for a little R&R. May be when you get back we will see a kinder gentler Slimboli, one that is not going to jump all over someone for thread jacking or posting on the wrong board.

I saw in one of your post's a statement to the fact that C-bid has not come down on you for the way you act here. My guess is that you spend a lot of money here, and they are not about to bite the hand that feeds them. So with that said.... back to lerking.....
Slimboli
24 years ago
Points well made!

I still don't know who this EXPERT is that you are referring ... and it's certainly not me. That is a title some (not most by any means) people here like to label me. All I do, is post information I have come across for people to read, and then let them form their own conclusions. I'm well known for being stongly opiniated on certain subjects, and it's bound to rub some people the wrong way. I just feel it just makes for some really good debates, and should be taken as such.

Just like you said ... don't believe everything you hear, read, or find on the internet. But one thing that bothers me a little ... is why should I take one mans experiences (yours) as the ultimate truth, when in searching the internet you can find countless articles all saying pretty much the same thing about the percentage of counterfeits in the USA and certain states being more of a target?

I'll certainly give you credit where credit is due in that your experience in Cuban cigars may very well surpass many of us (myself included) ... so you are less likely to be taken in a scam. But it doesn't hurt to pass on information so the less informed know what they are up against. Your posts make it seem like there is nothing to be concerned about, and may put the less experienced Cuban cigar seeker into a false sense of security.

I'll let you take on the 'expert' title if you want it ... I certainly don't need it.
23 years ago
Slim--
If I spot the 3 caps on my Romeo Y Julieta churchills, would you say they are probably authentica? They are a 5-pack that cost $55. They are OUTSTANDING smokes. I will check the ash for color when I smoke one tonight. THANKS
rodnie
21 years ago
Just in case you needed something to do. I noticed that most of the posters are the same. The one exception is that RICKMAVEN doesn't post on Cigars & Related anymore.
Users browsing this topic