Sadly, about half of the walk ins I have seen do not have a good system.
I don't operate that way. I take great pride in giving a cigar the best chance l can.
I have a few humidors and all have the moist n aire humidifiers. Only because
that's what they came with. Pure junk out of the box. I took the controller off
the top, and added about 4 foot of quality wire to get the controller away from the
box, and bingo...they work perfect.
If your B&M has a good system, please give me a model number
Loobie wrote:
Hi Loobie,
Some points that you may have already considered.
Where you live (geography). NY is more humid than Phoenix.
Location in your house where the room will be (sunlight or heat sources).
Anticipated load (number of cigars in boxes (closed) and open).
Type of humidification - vapor or evaporation and the proximity to the humidification source.
Air and humidity circulation.
Materials you anticipate using to construct the room (walls) and shelving.
How the cigars will be stored (Spanish or cello).
What settings you wish to maintain (temperature and humidity).
Seasoning the room.
These topics could spawn a lot of discussion but I get the idea that you're serious about doing a good job so understanding the impact of being in Phoenix (for example) is important. I think that you understand and perhaps already have thought about the points I list so I'll limit my comments but will happily discuss any ideas that you wish.
I have a lot of experience with humidification devices, (mostly < 2000) and I neither like, recommend nor use vaporizers or water reservoirs because while humidity and cigars work, rain (and that's what a vaporizer does) and sitting water don't. My impression is that you're a fastidious person and may clean the reservoirs in your humidifiers but it becomes work when scaled to a room of the size that you're proposing.
Unless a store ages their stock (counterproductive unless they're charging for that service) their humidification needs won't be the same as yours. Also, their load will be more dynamic than yours - unless you smoke an awful LOT 🙂. Their location plays a role, etc.
Most stores have spongy cigars near the humidifiers and dryer ones that are further away.
You might want to get the number for some cigar manufacturers and ask their advice (if they're willing), they might have some good input. Whatever you choose to do, keep in mind that your situation is more unique than it might seem on the surface. Best of luck.
Regards,
Pete