tonygraz
12 years ago
Get one of the Black Ops cutters that limit you to a thin cut, or just use a punch and if the cigar gets bitter and the punch hole is black, clip it too.
jeferris
12 years ago
Remember, you can always cut more off if the draw is too tight, just can't put put it back if you cut too much.
cacman
12 years ago

It's funny watching the guys that slobber all over the whole stick then they cut an inch or two off of it and wonder why it's unraveling on them LOL.

crgcpro wrote:


Wouldn't say I slobber all over the foot, but I do like to wet the foot before the cut or punch. IMHE it helps prevent splits or cracks especially with fragile wrappers. I'd offer the most important thing is to make sure your blades or punch are sharp, and snap it quickly to prevent any possible tearing. I only remove a small piece of the foot, leaving a good portion of the first cap - almost a punch size cut. As offered you can always cut it again if tar builds up or the draw becomes tight. Do prefer to punch cigars over a 50rg, except for torpedos/belicosos. Never tried a v-cut but imagine that cut would be similar to a punch, but could be smaller than a guillotine cut.

Cut it, light it, and enjoy it. Unless it's a $2300 Opus X Football, I wouldn't worry about the cut.
rrumba
12 years ago

i had the el cheapo double cutter and then went to the punch. like the punch much better. then i discovered the v groove and i must say that has become my preferred method and then the punch. Now i just gotta find a good v cutter
Thunder.Gerbil
12 years ago

i had the el cheapo double cutter and then went to the punch. like the punch much better. then i discovered the v groove and i must say that has become my preferred method and then the punch. Now i just gotta find a good v cutter

rrumba wrote:



If you haven't already, take a look at the Wolf or Xikar XV. Exact same blade, wolf has a plastic housing Xikar has a metal housing. The Wolf feels kind of flimsy / flexible in hand. The Xikar does not.

The difference with the wolf/XV blade is that the angle is reversed versus the traditional V-cutter. In a traditional V-cutter, the point penetrates first and the part that cuts the cap is last. In the Wolf/XV, it's the other way around. The leading edge of the blade contacts the cap before it contacts the point of the V. Does this make it better? I dunno, I've had less damaged capa leaves with the wolf cutter vs a traditional V-cutter, BUT that could easily be due to a thinner, sharper and harder blade that is less prone to dulling.
danmdevries
12 years ago
What is the benefit of a v cut over a punch cut?

I seem to have bought a lot of torpedos recently so my colibri cutter has been in use but I pulled out one of my small brass punches for a baitfish this afternoon.

I've never tried a v cut. My b&m has one of those bench mounted stainless cutters with 4 different cuts including at least one V cut, but I've never dropped the cap on that divot.

scompay
12 years ago
I have been smoking cigars all my adult life and as long as wheel has been shining tires.

Here is taking from my experience. If you take the cap completely off with a clean cut, it lets you taste all of the cigar at once- as the roller intended. If you punch, the tar builds up in the stogie till you get close to the end and then it all comes.
danmdevries
12 years ago

I have been smoking cigars all my adult life and as long as wheel has been shining tires.

Here is taking from my experience. If you take the cap completely off with a clean cut, it lets you taste all of the cigar at once- as the roller intended. If you punch, the tar builds up in the stogie till you get close to the end and then it all comes.

scompay wrote:



What if the punch is >75% the diameter of the cigar?
scompay
12 years ago

What if the punch is >75% the diameter of the cigar?

danmdevries wrote:



Then its the best. Some of us punch a clover shape.

Punch is clean and good, but it does not always remove the full amount of material.

Thunder.Gerbil
12 years ago

What is the benefit of a v cut over a punch cut?

danmdevries wrote:




Meh. Personal preference. Slightly better draw & less tar buildup.

Honestly, best thing to do is try it for yourself a few times and see if you like it.
wallyguitar
12 years ago
I typcially follow strict Bris quidelines from Genesis 17:10-14 when performing a cigar circumcisions, all in accordance with Rabbinic tradition.

Other times I just clip the tip swiftly with my Xikar cutter.
ky70
12 years ago

Punch it if you can, if you can't, v-cut it, and last resort use a double guillotine is my philosophy.

crgcpro wrote:


Lol. My presence is the opposite order. OP, do it how you like it. I'm a quick cutter, but the sharpness of blades on your cutter is the most important thing.
reckless
12 years ago
I used to play just the tip in high school....

wheel,,,
Buckwheat
12 years ago
The only thing that you need to worry about the cut is that you don't cut too much off and have the cigar start to come undone. Any of the cutters (punch, V, guillotine) are fine. I stopped using the single blade guillotine cutters because I feel that they don't cut cleanly. They kind of smash cut the cigar. I'd rather use a pocket knife or my teeth than use a single blade cutter. They are crap. JMO
nolen
12 years ago
I punch most everything these days... like to keep my caps lookin purdy.

Scissors second.
ky70
12 years ago

Punch it if you can, if you can't, v-cut it, and last resort use a double guillotine is my philosophy.

crgcpro wrote:


Lol. My presence is the opposite order. OP, do it how you like it. I'm a quick cutter, but the sharpness of blades on your cutter is the most importing thing.
Abrignac
12 years ago

Sun shines on a wombats ass once in awhile .

kombat96 wrote:



How often is the full eclipse?
Abrignac
12 years ago
Use a hatchet. Quick and easy.




Use a sharp blade. Save the expensive cutters for when you snip in public. Get a handful of disposables from your local. The prolly give them away for free. Mine does. When the blade dulls, pitch it and use a new one. Snip as little off the cap as you can while still allowing for a un-encumbered draw. I usually shave off only enough to reveal the tip of the filler, perhaps no more than a 32nd or so. If it's a torpedo shaped end I snip it a bit more. Bottom line is a snip off only enough to allow a decent draw.
madspackler
12 years ago

Remember, you can always cut more off if the draw is too tight, just can't put put it back if you cut too much.

jeferris wrote:


+1

Before I cut the cigar (with my xikar) I like to say"Just take a little off the top Rabbi"

You can always go back for more.
skennedy
12 years ago
Xikar v-cutter works the best for me! It's really hard to mess up using one of them. Never liked a punch. Good sharp blades/cutters are the key.
Users browsing this topic