denis007
12 years ago
Hey guys I recently moved my collection from two box humidors to a custom wineador. Well my sticks have been in their new home for a month now, and it looks like I am getting plum. I made the switch because I was unable to keep a constant temp/ rh. Now my sticks sit at 67 temp, and 66-67 rh all the time. I am slowly seeing them have a white haze. Most of my stick were left in the cello, but had the cap open. I had everyday smokes naked. After seeing the everday smokes form the white haze, I unwrapped a few premiums. To my shock a week later they are turning whit as well. I know what mold looks like, and this is not the case. However my everday smokes are on the cheaper side, and i have never seen plum on an average smoke. Any ideas. Regards ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฎ
DrMaddVibe
12 years ago
Good for you.

Most people that claim plume...are witnesses to mold.

Sorry.


I hope I'm wrong.
denis007
12 years ago
I was a certified mold specalist in my previous job, so I dont think so. The cigars have an even dusting of what looks like whit powder. I also use heartfelt beads, and humicare cigar juice in my beads. I know expensive sticks can get plum, but I have yet to see everday smokes get it. Regards ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฎ
mikey1597
12 years ago
Hey DMV, He's getting plum on his cigars, not plume. Dang pb&j samaches are messy.
Buckwheat
12 years ago
Probably grayscale
dharbolt
12 years ago
Why would you use juice in you beads? the manufacturer say use only dw
dharbolt
12 years ago
juice is supposed to keep a 70% with the foam junk
denis007
12 years ago
I thought the two combined will make a perfect mix. I have not had a problem with the beads, but in the wine cooler the DW evaporates fast. I found the juice works the best, and the longest. Yes Plume
#-o Regards.


denis007
12 years ago
Whats grayscale?
mikey1597
12 years ago
You just had to ask, didn't ya?
denis007
12 years ago
I know I am new to cigars being that I have only been smoking for a little over a year. I do believe I have become a mad scientist though. I have three digital hydrometers in my wineador. One at the top, in the middle, and at the bottom. The top reads 67 temp, and 65rh, the middle is 67 temp, and 66rh, the bottom is 66 temp, and 67rh. To me this seems perfect I have custom spanish cedard shelves, and have lined the inside with 100% spanish cedar. Four shelves in total 180 cigars! In total I have 1lbs of heartfelt beads. At the top fully charged, one sack half charged in the middle, and at the bottom one nylon half charged, and one with just beads. This is to soak up drips from the coil, and to absorb extra humidity. If I am missing something please let me know I am a relative noob in cigar terms, but I take pride in what I do. Regards๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฎ
reckless
12 years ago

I was a certified mold specalist in my previous job, so I dont think so. The cigars have an even dusting of what looks like whit powder. I also use heartfelt beads, and humicare cigar juice in my beads. I know expensive sticks can get plum, but I have yet to see everday smokes get it. Regards ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฎ

denis007 wrote:


Thats a great way to kill beads.. next time just send me the $65 or what ever obscene amount they cost. Last I checked distilled water is a WAY!!!! better solution then some man made over priced crap.
danmdevries
12 years ago
Pretty sure you've ruined your HF beads. Despite the good intention, they're not designed to run with anything but DW.
denis007
12 years ago
๐Ÿคฆ Great!!! How do I know they are ruined? They seem to be fine and are acting normal. Should I let them run dry, and then give them a distilled water bath? Feeling really stupid right now ๐Ÿ˜ฃ I thought this would work the best, but I should have asked the proffesionals. Thanks for the noob support guys. I will be placing another bead order now. I suppose people like me is how they make their money. Anyone want some beads lol. My rh is still fine, and I smoked a stick tonight. It tasted fine you dont think that this could have effected them in a bad way? Once again guys thanks for the support! Regards ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฎ
danmdevries
12 years ago

#-o Great!!! How do I know they are ruined? They seem to be fine and are acting normal. Should I let them run dry, and then give them a distilled water bath? Feeling really stupid right now ๐Ÿ˜ฃ I thought this would work the best, but I should have asked the proffesionals. Thanks for the noob support guys. I will be placing another bead order now. I suppose people like me is how they make their money. Anyone want some beads lol. My rh is still fine, and I smoked a stick tonight. It tasted fine you dont think that this could have effected them in a bad way? Once again guys thanks for the support! Regards ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฎ

denis007 wrote:



Sit on em, if they need recharging used DW. See what happens. No need to spend another $50 on beads just yet. Just stop using the glycol solution on them and see how things go.
denis007
12 years ago
Ok I will sit on them till the next recharge. I will not be making that mistake again. I thought the solution would be better, because in my wineador the beads were needing to be recharged after two weeks. With the solution they are still moist, and holding humidity after about the same time. Now I know better! Once again thanks for all the help guys. Just a little note about me, My name is Denis I live in Brooklyn New York. I am 36 years old married with a beautiful two year old daughter. I got into cigars almost two years ago. What was once a hobby with a small desktop humi holding about 10 sticks. Now has become obsesion with a custom wineador, and over 100 sticks(my wife hates it) lol. I really appreciate all your input, and am glad to be in a group who shares my passion. Regards ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฎ
Thunder.Gerbil
12 years ago
Based on his RH numbers, it doesn't look like the PG hurt anything. Such being said, I wouldn't continue the practice and would only use distilled water going forward.

As for the plume, enjoy it. I don't personally think it made any difference in the cigars where I saw it occur, but it was neat to see. Also, I've seen cheap cigars (Cu*Avana Maduros) plume very quickly, like inside of 6-8 months, and expensive cigars never develop it. It's really not about the price, but just the oils and sugars in the particular wrapper leaf.
madspackler
12 years ago
[quote=Thunder.Gerbil]Based on his RH numbers, it doesn't look like the PG hurt anything. Such being said, I wouldn't continue the practice and would only use distilled water going forward.

As for the plume, enjoy it. I don't personally think it made any difference in the cigars where I saw it occur, but it was neat to see. Also, I've seen cheap cigars (Cu*Avana Maduros) plume very quickly, like inside of 6-8 months, and expensive cigars never develop it. It's really not about the price, but just the oils and sugars in the particular wrapper leaf.[/quote]

Its all about the leaf and the storage conditions. You can only control the storage conditions. The readings in your unit appear to be excellent. Just continue to monitor the conditions and leave it alone if nothing changes. If the smokes burn great without off flavors, there is no problem.

Often a less expensive cigar is not significantly aged before being shipped from the factory and can be green or wet. If they are properly stored and have a chance to age/dry, they can be more likely to develop the crystalline structure of plume. More expensive smokes are typically aged longer at the factory and are shipped in a drier condition. They are less likely to develop plume as a result.
ZRX1200
12 years ago
^ not true.....

Puros Indios are aged forever ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ
madspackler
12 years ago

^ not true.....

Puros Indios are aged forever ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

ZRX1200 wrote:



I think you meant to say PI's are ageless - never improve no matter how long you age them ๐Ÿ˜ฐ
Users browsing this topic