Ndill
  • Ndill
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
12 years ago
Have everything set up for my new tower. Ive got the money, know where I am getting it, know where I am putting it (in my new man cave!!!).........I am still sketchy on the humidity. I am had tossed around the idea of using beads only and wiring a few computer fans. After looking at the amount of beads I would need, it is going to cost me almost more to buy the beads and fans. I already have a lb of beads from my old smaller cabinet. Would having a Hydra LG and a pound or two of beads be overkill? The beads mainly if the Rh jumps to high ( I go to work sometimes for days at a time). Heard some horror stories about the electronic humidifiers growing mold 😞
denis007
12 years ago
I would go with the beads, especially if you are not around to monitor things for days on end. Regards
spectresquad
12 years ago
Beads must be a fortune cause the fans are under a dollar on ebay for bran new.
Ndill
  • Ndill
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
12 years ago

Beads must be a fortune cause the fans are under a dollar on ebay for bran new.

spectresquad wrote:



Beads are $33 per lb according them I will need between 4 and 5 lb rounding up will set me at $165 for beads alone. Fans, as you said are cheap. Will need a 12v converter and timer also, there is another $20 for both. I will also need to mount fans.
spectresquad
12 years ago

Beads are $33 per lb according them I will need between 4 and 5 lb rounding up will set me at $165 for beads alone. Fans, as you said are cheap. Will need a 12v converter and timer also, there is another $20 for both. I will also need to mount fans.

Ndill wrote:




Holy Carp! Does anyone know what the beads % are that come from the garden shop.

That is indeed a lot of cash for beads. For that price you could hire a ....naw I wont say it...



danmdevries
12 years ago
If you don't have problems with your house being too humid, why not go with an active unit? Id not be able to get away with one, ive needed to dry my beads once already this summer because we've pretty much been 90-100% humidity for a month
Ndill
  • Ndill
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
12 years ago
^ well that a tricky one. I am moving in a few weeks so I am not sure what the new house will be like exactly. I do know as a whole, the summers in southern il can be very humid though.
danmdevries
12 years ago

^ well that a tricky one. I am moving in a few weeks so I am not sure what the new house will be like exactly. I do know as a whole, the summers in southern il can be very humid though.

Ndill wrote:



If it's not unlike northwest Indiana (swampland) winters are severe - cold and dry and summers are nonstop rain, fog, and heat. Needs beads./
Philly Jack
12 years ago
Solution Empty the mold making foam out of the Hydra and fill it back up with beads use beads almost fool proof since I started using them.
shaun341
12 years ago
There is another cheaper option for using beads but lot of people seem to frown on it for some reason. You can use the silica kitty liter fragance free of course. I used it when I had a coolidor and then when I switched to a wineador I got the beads from roasterdude which were much cheaper then heartfelt and they work just about the same as the KL did from what my non scientific eyes can see. I did get a 2nd wineador though and am using KL in it until I get more beads and for some reason I am having a problem keeping the RH at my desired number, hoping when I get the beads it will fix that.

danmdevries
12 years ago
If I cant get bulk pricing on my proposed 50lb order to heartfelt, I was going to suggest exquisicat crystals... if theres no bulk buys, illi may consider switching to KL
teedubbya
12 years ago
I'm not going to rehash the argument but won't be using KL.
denis007
12 years ago
What RH does the KL run at? Does it stay at a stable level? Regards 🇨🇮
shaun341
12 years ago
From what I read before I used it 70 is what they say but from experience it was more like 62-65.
sd72
12 years ago
For the cost of the KL, if gonna use it, buy a bag and wet them. Put them in a bowl inside a freezer bag with a calibrated hygrometer. You'll know for sure what they run.

If I'm not mistaken, the beads are trainable. There's a pretty comprehensive thread here somewhere. Maybe search all posts by roasterdude and find his last bulk buy thread. He talked about getting them, testing their humidity level, and training them if needed. After testing, he said they were spot on 65%, so he shipped them as is.

I think while dry, if you put them in an environment that you can control the humidity at a certain level, the beads will train to that level.

I'm working off memory, you'll have to do some research.
shaun341
12 years ago
Sounds about right SD. Pretty sure I read that beads were trainable also and I remember the thread you are talking about but there was so much scientific stuff in there it lost me.
youngra
12 years ago

Beads are $33 per lb according them I will need between 4 and 5 lb rounding up will set me at $165 for beads alone. Fans, as you said are cheap. Will need a 12v converter and timer also, there is another $20 for both. I will also need to mount fans.

Ndill wrote:




Could you use a power supply from an old computer for the fans?? Just a thought - to save some $$.

RY
🇨🇮
spectresquad
12 years ago

Could you use a power supply from an old computer for the fans?? Just a thought - to save some $$.

RY
🇨🇮

youngra wrote:




Waste of space and not necessary. I have tons of 12 volt adapters I get off of all sorts of appliances. They are less than a buck at the second hand store. All he needs now is a timer, and that can also be found at second hand stores... Find a woman who likes to shop and buy her lunch and talk about how hard it is to find your list, and she will hand you your list with accessories in no time.
[frypan]
Puffnstuff79
12 years ago
I use KL and Boveda packs. I was using 72 Boveda up until the past month. The Boveda packs cost $25 for 12 most recently here on the CBID. My humi stayed at 72 since April and the Bovedas stayed good from February til now they started losing moisture. The way I've been going I can rehab my 72 for fall and winter and 65 for spring and summer for years from my understanding. With Exquisicat and Boveda I have had no worries, don't pay it any mind for weeks at a time. We all find our way. This was just mine. Any questions ask. Other than that commence hate
DCLover
12 years ago
Take the foam out & throw it away. Yes, the foam grew mold within 2 weeks. I have had gel crystals in mine for almost 5 years now.
Users browsing this topic